Shocks vs Binghamton (Game 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Binghamton (Game 1)

Looks like Binghamton may have the "statistical" edge in ERA with the starting pitching:

March 25 — Tim Kelley (RHP, 1-1, 6.75) vs. Murphy Smith (RHP, 2-1, 1.88 )
    March 26 — Clint Maune (LHP, 0-0, 11.57) vs. TBA

Not really sure what to expect in these games. Binghamton was competitive agaisnt K-State this weekend losing 10-4, 5-0 and 5-4.

It appears K-State went at Binghamton with their normal weekend rotation for the most part.

Hopefully, Kelley and Maune are ready to step it up a notch.

Binghamton comes in at 5-11.

They have played all 16 of their games so far on the road, with their first home game scheduled for April 2.

The Bearcats have played 5 7-inning games already, as parts of DH.

It looks like Murphy Smith has been either pretty good or pretty average. He has some games with about 1K per inning, but a couple others with low K totals and giving up some walks. 20 K in 24 IP with 6 BB. Opp BA a very good .179. His 2 wins are vs Longwood (RPI 220) and LaSalle (RPI 283).

I expect the Shox to be very aggressive at the plate and the pitchers to throw strikes. There are 6 games on the schedule this week, so I expect we will see every pitcher on the roster in games. There needs to be 50 innings pitched between now and Sunday, and the big 3 will take less than half of those. Perhaps we'll see a little patience from the coaching staff with the pitchers, especially the less experienced starters. Only Fleming has pitched out of the pen for extended innings and I don't recall anyone else with more than 2 innings recently. We may see Johnny Wholestaff for a game or two.

6 wins are a must against this type of inferior competition.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Its a tough situation to be in with a questionable pitching staff. 6-0 weeks are always hard to come by in baseball regardless of the competition. We need to be ready for these games!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89
        Its a tough situation to be in with a questionable pitching staff. 6-0 weeks are always hard to come by in baseball regardless of the competition. We need to be ready for these games!!!
        I agree, the fans seem to be taking these games for granted, not that that makes any difference. Hopefully, Gene will have his guys focused in and ready to take it to Binghamton and NDS.

:goshocks:

Comment

Good info '85. This week may be the best chance for many of our guys to step up and show that they are ready to be contributors this year.

A lot of innings and a lot of opportunities.

Comment

And some gorgeous weather for baseball to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr
              And some gorgeous weather for baseball to boot!
              Just returned from lunch. It is about as nice as it can get right now.

Comment

I can't wait to get to the ball park tonight. I need it.

Comment

It may be Binghamton, but it's still baseball..

The Shocks need to take every game seriously and have a 6-0 week. Regional host worthy teams don't lose very often to Binghamton/NDSU type teams.

Beautiful weather, most def. I think I'm gonna head out there tonight.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

True, but

Not often, Fever, but not never either.

Teams like Texas and North Carolina and Miami lose a game or two every year to some pretty unlikely sounding opponents, simply because that's the way baseball works. One pitcher who's really on, or an off night from your own starter (or otherwise somewhat reliable relievers, as in the case of the Shocks' miracle comeback against Harvard when they went from up 5-0 after seven to down 10-5 going into the bottom of the ninth) is all it takes.

My observation is that the selectors consider earning good wins much more of a plus than the occasional isolated bad loss is a minus. Having said that, I'll be disappointed if the Shocks aren't at least 5-1 this week, and I'd prefer to see 6-0 as well.

Comment

Re: True, but

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                      Not often, Fever, but not never either.

Teams like Texas and North Carolina and Miami lose a game or two every year to some pretty unlikely sounding opponents, simply because that's the way baseball works. One pitcher who's really on, or an off night from your own starter (or otherwise somewhat reliable relievers, as in the case of the Shocks' miracle comeback against Harvard when they went from up 5-0 after seven to down 10-5 going into the bottom of the ninth) is all it takes.

My observation is that the selectors consider earning good wins much more of a plus than the occasional isolated bad loss is a minus. Having said that, I'll be disappointed if the Shocks aren't at least 5-1 this week, and I'd prefer to see 6-0 as well.
                      Oh I definitely agree it can and has happened. Unfortunately for us though, it seems BCS teams get a pass, while if a non-BCS northern school like WSU, for example, loses a game against teams of this caliber, a notable drop in the polls almost always occurs.

That said, I still think in the long run teams like us and similar to us can and should go 6-0 weeks against these teams. 5-1 wouldn't be bad, but I honestly would say I'd be a little disappointed.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

who's ready to shotgun some beers in the outfield

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                          It may be Binghamton, but it's still baseball..
                          That's the great thing about Baseball, anything can and will happen.

I hope the bats can get untracked early and take a little pressure off the young pitchers tonight and tomorrow.

Comment

Stupid sonic made me late but got here in time to see us score all 5 in the first.

great weather!

Comment

I spaced out the game but even though I missed the first 30 minutes of the game, I only missed one inning.

5-0 Shox after 1 inning.

Comment

Working...
                              X