X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome aboard Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Maybe, but not really a natural recruiting area for the Shocks. Going from SoCal to Wichita is both a culture and weather Shock. Not sure how many California kids we have had over the years but I don't think it qualifies as a plethora. I think Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado will remain our bread and butter. Coach Steele only spent 2 seasons at LBSU so not sure how much of a network he would have built up. I don't think that will be much, if any, of a factor.
      I looked at a kid's car for insurance purposes that was playing baseball at Friends, he was from California.

I used to live and play baseball in California (years ago) and chatted with him and his buddy from the team. I said what made you want to play at friends in wichita?

He replied as level headed as possible " there are a pretty decent amount of kids that come to play in the midwest at schools like WSU, Friends, Newman, and multiple Juco's around here".
      His buddy was from Colorado and played at friends as well.

Friends roster has 7 kids alone from California.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Good thing he didn't consult ShockTalk and fanmas before making his decision. (Although personally, having spent time in the LA area, including Long Beach, I'd choose Wichita as a home over Long Beach every day of the week and twice on Sunday, and I don't even like cold weather.) This looks like an excellent outcome; now we need to see some results.
        In just what way would you think I would want to steer him away. Pardon the pun, but I think he's a steal. LBSU is a highly regarded baseball program, still playing at a high caliber and he has done quite well for himself there. Sorry if you didn't understand my questions as to his move, but regardless, it was not a step up career-wise. For someone only two years into what appears to be a successful situation, leaving after that short time is not common unless it's a step up, definitely not a step down. I think some of the answers have been touched upon earlier in the thread.

I agree with your assessment of the LA area, maybe California as a whole. Nice to visit, not to live, thank you very much. This appears to be a strong part of his decision for himself and his family. I sincerely hope it works out for all of us. This looks like a great hire. So much so, that it gives some hope for the future where there was none.

Comment

I remain pretty skeptical. Butler couldn't win with one of the best pitching coaches in the country, I am not sure how a guy with a couple years of experience at LBSU is going to do any better. I guess the Shockers did do so bad this year that it is hard to do any worse.

Comment

Stoked about Coach Steele. Welcome to Shocker Nation.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
              I am not sure how a guy with a couple years of experience at LBSU is going to do any better.
              He may well not do any better. While Brent's resume is no doubt long and impressive and Coach Steele's falls well short of that, I think you are understating Coach Steele's resume just a bit.

He has 10 years experience as pitching coach, 2 at LBSU, 6 in the Pirates farm system and 2 at Michigan State plus 6 years minor league pitching experience. His resume is fine.

Considering the circumstances I think this is about as good a hire HCTB could make. Clearly, HCTB and Brent were not on the same page so that did not appear to be a good situation and Brent just didn't need the aggravation.

Comment

From the Eagle - Mike Steele ready to improve WSU's pitching staff in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  Not lacking for confidence is he?

“If you give me guys that have talent, and have physical ability … they’re going to get better very quickly and it’s going to be a growth that’s sustained,” he said. “You can slice that ERA in half right now. I’m not bragging about that. I’m just telling you that if you bring in a structured system and guys really understand what they’re trying to do, then they get better. I’m going to be able to get out of their way and let them just go beat people’s butts.”
                  Apparently this was after taking an initial look at video of the Shocks' returning pitchers. Time will tell he can deliver on the deliveries.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Not lacking for confidence is he?

Apparently this was after taking an initial look at video of the Shocks' returning pitchers.
                    No, he's not. And it can backfire if it doesn't work out. But frankly, this program needs a whole lot more people breathing fire and ready to take names than the zero involved the past few years.

Comment

I like it. I think Brent and HCTB's rift couldn't have helped. If Steele and TB are on the same page, I think the hire moves the program in the right direction. Only question will be, is it far enough in the right direction.
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

He doesn't even have to cut the ERA in half next year. I'd settle for lopping off one-third of that number.

That's my guess for what it would take for us to actually have a good/decent season and right the ship. Tall task, but I wish him success.

Comment

This is a storied program of whipping ass and taking names, I like the cut of his jib already.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It is in the article but I do not believe it has been raised on here - the contract length is 1 year for $100k. I do not know if it customary for the university to offset relocation costs as a supplement to salary for newly hired assistants, but I suspect not. It is not cheap to move an entire family from CA to KS at the drop of a hat. This is a man who, rightly or wrongly, has no fear of "put up or shut up."

Talk about laying it all on the line. I am really pulling for this guy.

Comment

Phone interview with Kunkel.

Comment

Working...
                                X