No announcement yet.

WSU BASEBALL POSTPONED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in Normal for the games. The decision to postpone today's game seemed to defy logicm but then again . . . The Shockers were at the yard having done their pregame stretching and warmup when the Redbirds showed up. The Redbirds had no intention of playing today. There was no attempt to work on the field before the game. According to all the players I talked with the field was definetly playable and the weather was as good as it is going to get for the next 2 days. About 2:30 the Redbirds took the tarp off and began raking the infield dirt. The logic of the decision is that the Redbirds are messing with the Shockers. Get us out of our routine, get us upset, get us anxious and maybe they can steal one from us. It is gamesmanship. In talking with several of the players at the hotel after the decision, I think we will have some of our own 'gamesmanship' for them tomorrow and our bats will do our talking!

Comment

Wouldn't it be the umpires call regarding the playability of the field conditions? Or perhaps the league commissioner would be consulted if there is a difference of opinion between coaches? I find it difficult to believe that the MVC is set up such that the home team can cancel a contest at their own discretion.

Comment

You raise a good question. So I looked it up in the NCAA baseball rule book (http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf): Rule 4 Pregame Procedures, Fitness of Field
        SECTION 2. a. The coach and the director of athletics (or representative)
        of the host institution shall decide whether a game shall not be started
        because of unsatisfactory conditions of weather or playing field, except
        for the second game of a doubleheader.

Comment

I think it's called the "Dewey Kalmer Rule". That guy could conjure up a snowstorm in hell.

Comment

From Shockwaves

No baseball todayPosted
            The field in rainy Normal is too soft to play today. They will try for a doubleheader on Saturday at 1 p.m.

This is a story to be continued. It is a great day in Normal - sunny and 58 at 4:45 as I write this. WSU players say the field was in reasonable shape. They wanted to play.

I went to Duffy Bass Field around 5 p.m. expecting to find a field that looked like a back lot on the set of Titanic. Instead, it looked good. I walked all over the outfield and could not find a puddle. It was damp. A little muddy. In all, however, the shape of the field is a credit to the Illinois State grounds crew. It looked suitable for baseball.

Illinois State coach Jim Brownlee thought otherwise. It is the decision of the home team until the game starts, at which point the decision passes to the umpires.

The forecast for tomorrow is good. Snow on Sunday. Not playing today was a risk.
            By Paul Suellentrop

Comment

lol probably helps our rpi in the end by us playing them less.
              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Originally posted by notquiteBWing
                Nope, IllSt will finish in the top 3 or 4 in the conference. These games need to be played. Jim Brownlee is a chicken $#!t - always has been.

This will not please Gene. Don't forget, conference champion is determined solely on the basis of winning percentage. Not playing 1 or 2 games in this series could cost WSU if the conference race is close.

This is a situation that should be taken to the league office and IllSt and/or Brownlee should be penalized for it. The problem is, there probably aren't any policies that cover this behavior.

Let's just hope this backfires on IllSt. Jerking Mean Gene around just seems like a baaaaadd idea.

--'85.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

There is only one thing WSU needs to do - Kick their ... That's will be the most effective way of making the Brownturd look foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                    Nope, IllSt will finish in the top 3 or 4 in the conference. These games need to be played. Jim Brownlee is a chicken $#!t - always has been.

This will not please Gene. Don't forget, conference champion is determined solely on the basis of winning percentage. Not playing 1 or 2 games in this series could cost WSU if the conference race is close.

This is a situation that should be taken to the league office and IllSt and/or Brownlee should be penalized for it. The problem is, there probably aren't any policies that cover this behavior.

Let's just hope this backfires on IllSt. Jerking Mean Gene around just seems like a baaaaadd idea.

--'85.
                    yea, this situation is pretty queer.
                    i'd be upset if i were a season ticket holder for ISU. we're the best team they'll play at home all year.
                    hopefully we can get all 3 games in. and win of course.

i hate it when you have to make up game by doing double headers. i'm always curious of how our players will handle it. tyler weber will only be catching in one of them.
                    veni, vidi, vici

Comment

--'85.
                      i'd be upset if i were a season ticket holder for ISU. we're the best team they'll play at home all year.

i hate it when you have to make up game by doing double headers. i'm always curious of how our players will handle it. tyler weber will only be catching in one of them.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an Illinois St. season ticket holder. That is why it is easy to cancel the game.

Most of their fans (what few they have) just show up bringing lawn chairs to sit in. They do not have a stadium. They have a decent fiield and little league type stands for the few fans that show up for their games.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                        There is only one thing WSU needs to do - Kick their ... That's will be the most effective way of making the Brownturd look foolish.
                        Brownpee

Comment

When I came into the baseball forum, I was mystified how a postponed thread could have went to 2 pages.

Then I read..

I agree with Royal. It's been 9 years with 2 different teams. GET THE **** OVER IT BROWNLEE.

It's him that's making the situation worse than it was.

Man up and take your beatings like a man. We should and I hope sweep this series. I'd like to see a 15-1 type beating in their somewhere.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

From the Goredbirds.com website: NORMAL, Ill. - Due to unfavorable conditions at Duffy Bass Field, the Illinois State baseball team's home opener Friday against Missouri Valley Conference foe Wichita State has been postponed. ?!?? "We know it wasn't the weather...."
                            Put the bat to them today... Shock ON !!
                            Semper Wu !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3

--'85.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as an Illinois St. season ticket holder. That is why it is easy to cancel the game.

Most of their fans (what few they have) just show up bringing lawn chairs to sit in. They do not have a stadium. They have a decent fiield and little league type stands for the few fans that show up for their games.
                              *shake's head*
                              wow.
                              that... that sucks.
                              i knew we were spoiled here in wichita BUT i didn't know there were other MVC schools that had it THAT bad.
                              that's too bad. ...now, that being said, let's whip their a** twice in one day!
                              veni, vidi, vici

Comment

I brought it up in the other thread but I'll say it here too.

Someone give me the history that I don't know about here.

Comment

Working...
                                X