No announcement yet.

Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly off topic, but in considering the costs associated with this move, any idea if Kemnitz's salary is still flowing through the baseball program? I believe when he left official coach status, they essentially created a position for him. I'm assuming/hoping it was not at the same pay, but is that another expense that gets looked at when determining if the money is there to buyout and pay a new coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
      Slightly off topic, but in considering the costs associated with this move, any idea if Kemnitz's salary is still flowing through the baseball program? I believe when he left official coach status, they essentially created a position for him. I'm assuming/hoping it was not at the same pay, but is that another expense that gets looked at when determining if the money is there to buyout and pay a new coach?
      I would think that every expense they have in the athletic department is a factor in making this decision. Not just baseball revenues and expenses. The bottom line is do you have financial wherewithal as an athletice department to make a change or not?

Comment

• Wichita State AD says baseball coach Todd Butler will return

"Boatright refused to pin his position on the contract."

“Finances have nothing to do with any decision I’m making on the leadership of our baseball program,” he said. “We are acutely aware of the record and we are aware of what the expectation is. Those fans deserve to be frustrated, absolutely. But, if they’re supporters of the program, come support the program. If they don’t like any decisions I’m making, evaluate me. It’s my responsibility to evaluate the coaches.”"

Check out this video on YouTube:

Last edited by WstateU; May 22, 2017, 06:21 PM.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• This will probably go down as the biggest mistake ADDB will make.

Comment

• I started to do a search for AAC baseball coaches salaries and ran into from last year and stopped.

Whitting's annual base salary increased to $300,000, making him the highest-paid baseball coach in the American Athletic Conference.
            Todd Butler will be [at the very least one] the highest paid baseball coaches in the AAC as of July 1.

Comment

• Sounds like it's time for a Fire Darron Boatright thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Wichita State AD says baseball coach Todd Butler will return

"Boatright refused to pin his position on the contract."

“Finances have nothing to do with any decision I’m making on the leadership of our baseball program,” he said. “We are acutely aware of the record and we are aware of what the expectation is. Those fans deserve to be frustrated, absolutely. But, if they’re supporters of the program, come support the program. If they don’t like any decisions I’m making, evaluate me. It’s my responsibility to evaluate the coaches.”"

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/ZAAKPJEq1Ew
                Doh-kay Boat...

The move to the AAC: A+++ would buy from again

Retaining Butler and rationalizing it as non-budgetary: 0/10 lol gtfo

On a more serious note, am I the only one that finds the quote above sorta has a more diplomatic "I'll do what the f*** I want, thanks" vibe? Does the dude understand that he's essentially the elected chairman of a company with vested shareholders? The WSU athletic department is not your personal fiefdom, bud, no matter what the good ol' boy culture you came from tells you up in your cranium.

Boat continues to be a quandary in my own mind. On one hand I'm willing to grant him huge goodwill for whatever he did behind the scenes with the AAC opportunity. On the other I'm sore that he didn't just help hire this freaking nincompoop of a coach, but he's allowing far more rope than deserved to hang himself.
                Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 22, 2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• If we can't afford to hire a new coach I'm perfectly fine with firing Butler and letting the players do the coaching. Or just disbanding the team until Butler's contract runs out.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                    If we can't afford to hire a new coach I'm perfectly fine with firing Butler and letting the players do the coaching. Or just disbanding the team until Butler's contract runs out.
                    Since baseball season for real teams will still be going on for another month, maybe DB is hoping that Butler will see the writing on the wall and look for a soft landing and find a new home somewhere where he will be appreciated and save WSU having to buy him out.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                      Here is how I would structure the new contract:

6 year contracts that can be terminated at any time with a penalty of one year’s base salary.
                      Head Coach / Hitting Coach - Mark Standiford - Base Salary $75,000
                      Assistant Head Coach / Infield Coach / Hitting Coach - Kevin Hooper - Base Salary $75,000
                      Pitching Coach – TBD - Base Salary - $75,000

15% bonus every time you set a new high for season wins. So next year they would have to win 28 and that would become the new season high.
                      10% for finishing above .500 in the AAC
                      10% for finishing in the top half of the AAC
                      40% for finishing 2nd or 3rd in the AAC (includes 10% for above .500 and 10% for top half)
                      50% for winning the AAC (includes the 40% above)
                      25% for winning the AAC tournament
                      50% for making a regional (in addition to any other bonuses)
                      75% for making the regional championship (includes the 50%)
                      125% for winning a regional (includes the 50% and 75%)
                      200% for winning a super-regional and making it to Omaha (includes the 125%)
                      Additional 20% for every win in Omaha
                      Additional 100% for CWS championship

Below would be each coaches salary if they reach the following milestones:
                      $86,250 - win 28 games next year.
                      $93,750 - finish above .500 in the AAC
                      $101,250 - finish in the top half of the AAC
                      $116,250 - finish 2nd or 3rd in the AAC
                      $123,750 - win the AAC regular season
                      $142,500 - win the AAC and the tournament
                      $180,000 - make a regional
                      $198,750 - get to a regional championship
                      $236,250 - win a regional
                      $292,500 – make it to CWS / win Super-regional
                      $10,000 for each win in Omaha (~ $40,000 for making the championship)
                      $407,500 – win National Championship

The purpose of structuring a contract this way is to limit the amount WSU has to pay over the next 3 years since we will still be paying HCTB. The contract would still allow a handsome reward for making a regional and beyond. After 3 or 4 years you could re-evaluate as necessary. This would probably only cost WSU an additional $125,000 to $150,000 per year and allow us to move on with a new coaching staff. Of course it would be more if we started winning, but I think that is a risk we should all be excited to take.
                      Shockfan89 for new Wichita State AD please!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        Doh-kay Boat...

On a more serious note, am I the only one that finds the quote above sorta has a more diplomatic "I'll do what the f*** I want, thanks" vibe? Does the dude understand that he's essentially the elected chairman of a company with vested shareholders? The WSU athletic department is not your personal fiefdom, bud, no matter what the good ol' boy culture you came from tells you up in your cranium.

Boat continues to be a quandary in my own mind. On one hand I'm willing to grant him huge goodwill for whatever he did behind the scenes with the AAC opportunity. On the other I'm sore that he didn't just help hire this freaking nincompoop of a coach, but he's allowing far more rope than deserved to hang himself.
                        Yea, I imagine he would like a mulligan here (or will in the future). The language of the statement is poorly crafted and combative.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          Doh-kay Boat...

Thought the exact same thing about that quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                            Yea, I imagine he would like a mulligan here (or will in the future). The language of the statement is poorly crafted and combative.
                            I agree that the statemet was poorly crafted and unecessarily combative. However, I also don't buy it for a minute. I think it has everything to do with the finances and the crappy contract that WSU agreed to when HCTB was hired.

The other question it raises in my mind is that while fan expectations for Shocker baseball remain high I am not sure those expectations are shared by the WSU Athletic Administration. That being the case I sure hope they pay the next coach more in line with whatever those lowered expectations are.

The fact that Todd Butler is as frustrated as anyone is not particularly relevant. Considering that he has pretty much established himself as basically a 0.500 head coach he will probably continue to be frustrated, as will the fans. Let's face it a 10-11 record in the 16th ranked conference in the country is a very uninspiring performance.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 23, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                              Sounds like it's time for a Fire Darron Boatright thread.
                              What if Boatright's options were to join the AAC or to fire Butler, but the money wasn't there to do both? Do you still want to fire Boatright? I have no knowledge if that was the situation, but that scenario seems pretty logical given the circumstances that have occurred recently.

Did anyone else notice what the article didn't say? Butler's contract was not extended. Butler has 3 years remaining. Next year's Fr class will still be in school when Butler's contract expires. That situation is usually avoided when a coach is in the long-term plans in the athletic department.

Recruiting may suffer a bit in the next year or two as the buyout is worked down. It could get worse before it gets better. Regardless of anything Boatright told the newspaper, I'm confident that if there had been a source of funds for the buyout, that the buyout would have occurred.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Maybe we catch fire next year and rip through the AAC like a chainsaw. HCTB gets a 1 year extension and everyone is happy. Maybe we absolutely tank and he is fired midseason with an assistant taking the tiller to limp back into port while we look for a replacement. The worst outcome would be a middling performance with a number of "Rasputin" wins to stave off firing, but not warranting an extension.
                                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X