No announcement yet.

Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least with Hooper or Standiford, I could take the fact that even if they didn't pan out, I'd much rather being pouring money into the pockets of guys that gave everything they had to the program than letting a leech like Butler rob the university of millions of dollars. Every day that Butler remains on the job is every day this program sinks further and further into embarrassment.

I hope minion Boatright doesn't become Sexton v. 2.0. I cannot fathom a statement that would be behind Butler 100% at this point.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• That's how things have to work in the media. You're 100% behind a guy publicly until 2 minutes after you let him know he's relieved of his duties. It isn't fun to read as a fan hoping for a transition, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

I agree about Hooper and Standiford. At least I would get excited. And I feel like they would pour everything they have into rebuilding the program. Maybe it wouldn't work out, but I bet the "Give-a-Shitometer" would at least get turned on again. And if they failed, well, then I could move on to accepting significantly lower expectations for the baseball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        At least with Hooper or Standiford, I could take the fact that even if they didn't pan out, I'd much rather being pouring money into the pockets of guys that gave everything they had to the program than letting a leech like Butler rob the university of millions of dollars. Every day that Butler remains on the job is every day this program sinks further and further into embarrassment.

I hope minion Boatright doesn't become Sexton v. 2.0. I cannot fathom a statement that would be behind Butler 100% at this point.
        IAD Boatright does not have the power to fire. IAD Boatright got his marching orders from on high.

IAD Boatright's quote in the Eagle is probably straight out of the PC playbook.

What was the average fan attendance at games this year? Just wondering.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• I was one of the (few) subscribers to Shockervision just to catch a few games out here on TV. Even saw them play Oregon years ago. But, since the coaching change, I've watched ZERO games, not out of loyalty to HCGS (I think he could be/was an arrogant a$$ and justified his own demise) but just because of the frustration with watching. It was like watching a chain of cars sliding down a frozen road towards a crash. But, it seems to me like HCTB is throwing Kemnitz under the bus here. Maybe the "modern college game" passed by HCGS, but pitching is pitching. When you take a winning formula (which BK had) and start tinkering with it, and it breaks, it's pretty chicken-$hitty to blame the guy with the winning formula. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I find it humorous that Butler's mantra since he took the podium was pitching, pitching, pitching.
            I don't find that humorous at all. Looks like he made Kemnitz' job impossible and then blames him for the team's failure. Best college pitching coach in the nation and Butler's trying to run him to try to save face for his own sorry ass.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              IAD Boatright does not have the power to fire. IAD Boatright got his marching orders from on high.

IAD Boatright's quote in the Eagle is probably straight out of the PC playbook.

I believe you. It's sad that paralysis has set in.

Comment

• Now we're like SIU and MSU in basketball. Can't afford the buyout to do what's got to be done.

This should open some eyes to some realities of a football program.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Now we're like SIU and MSU in basketball. Can't afford the buyout to do what's got to be done.

This should open some eyes to some realities of a football program.
                  Yep. This is another indicator to me as well. If we can't do this, just shut down the football discussions right now. Don't spend another cent or second on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                    I was one of the (few) subscribers to Shockervision just to catch a few games out here on TV. Even saw them play Oregon years ago. But, since the coaching change, I've watched ZERO games, not out of loyalty to HCGS (I think he could be/was an arrogant a$$ and justified his own demise) but just because of the frustration with watching. It was like watching a chain of cars sliding down a frozen road towards a crash. But, it seems to me like HCTB is throwing Kemnitz under the bus here. Maybe the "modern college game" passed by HCGS, but pitching is pitching. When you take a winning formula (which BK had) and start tinkering with it, and it breaks, it's pretty chicken-$hitty to blame the guy with the winning formula. Just my 2 cents.
                    Has Coach Butler actually ever blamed Brent publicly? Perhaps he has and I missed it. What he has appeared to do is to diminish Brent's authority and freedom to recruit and handle the pitching staff to the point that Butler has made it very difficult for Brent to do his thing. Shane mentioned that Butler is a control freak. Butler may have made it look like Brent is failing at his job, but the source of that failure may be the environment and restrictions placed on Brent by the head man.

If Brent leaves it will either be because Butler is given free reign to cut him loose with WSU willing to pick up the tab on Brent's remaining contract or Brent will voluntarily leave because he is just fed up with the current situation. My money would be on the latter but we'll see.

However, the evidence at this point is the the responsibility for this program's current condition clearly lies with the Head Coach. Hopefully, Butler is smart enough to realize this ain't working and figure out that his best option is to totally turn the responsibility for the pitching staff over to Brent and let him do his thing. However, I'm not holding my breath on that one happening either.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                      It was like watching a chain of cars sliding down a frozen road towards a crash.
                      Spot on analogy! Lets put the perfect video to your description...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                        One thing I find rather ironic is five years ago we were complaining about offense and saying we need to change hitting coaches. Now we have offense and we are complaining about our pitching and defense.

Regardless of who our coach was, is, or will be, I prefer the quality pitching and scratching out runs here and there, to a contest to see who can score more runs. I go to baseball games to watch baseball games, not see football scores.
                        Not sure I would call it ironic and I'm not wanting to bring up old wounds. That said, those of us who were looking for a change in a hitting coach were not looking at it as just trying to improving the hitting. Such a change at that time could have added a number of positives. New Blood. A younger coach would have a drive and fire to get out there long and hard in the recruiting wars. A coach who, do to his age, might better relate to young players in both recruiting and on the field. Rejuvenate interest and new hope for the program along with that hire being a CiW (Hooper/ Standiford) sooner or later. Adding such a person to the staff would NOT have gotten rid of the face of Shocker baseball or one of the best pitching coaches out there, so leadership, proven experience, fielding, and pitching would not have been jeopardized, but probably improved. The program needed a shot in the arm.

I have no idea if the athletic department ever approach Gene with the proposal, but I'm pretty sure Gene wasn't ever going to do it on his own, even if it meant the demise of the program he built. It would have been the right thing to do. Thomas had had a good run with WSU and would not have had a problem latching on to another job. As it turned out, Thomas lost his job anyway.

Comment

• ShockTalk - I wasn't trying to rehash the coaching change either. Just wanted to point out how quickly things had changed. I would have never guessed we would be looking at a staff ERA of around 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                            The average reported paid attendance was about 2,200. Someone else who actually attended more game than the 1 early season game I attended could probably evaluate this better than I but from what I saw on games that were televises or streamed on ESPN3 the actual attendance was probably about 20% of that.

Who purchased all the unused tickets and at what price I can't say and it will be interesting to see what those paid numbers look like next year. What we really need to know is what are the program revenues and expenses are. Even paid attendance numbers can be padded with deeply discounted group ticket sales. It all comes down to the top and bottom lines on the income statement. How much are bringing in and how much is going out.

Comment

• Since President Bardo said that the current study is not just about football and conference realignment but to review and evaluate the entire athletic department and programs in totality I hope they look at the current interim AD situation and the state of the baseball program.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Has Coach Butler actually ever blamed Brent publicly? Perhaps he has and I missed it. What he has appeared to do is to diminish Brent's authority and freedom to recruit and handle the pitching staff to the point that Butler has made it very difficult for Brent to do his thing. Shane mentioned that Butler is a control freak. Butler may have made it look like Brent is failing at his job, but the source of that failure may be the environment and restrictions placed on Brent by the head man.

If Brent leaves it will either be because Butler is given free reign to cut him loose with WSU willing to pick up the tab on Brent's remaining contract or Brent will voluntarily leave because he is just fed up with the current situation. My money would be on the latter but we'll see.

However, the evidence at this point is the the responsibility for this program's current condition clearly lies with the Head Coach. Hopefully, Butler is smart enough to realize this ain't working and figure out that his best option is to totally turn the responsibility for the pitching staff over to Brent and let him do his thing. However, I'm not holding my breath on that one happening either.
                                I have never heard anything in public either but the diminished role and lack or radio show pretty much say it. If Kemnitz is here next year what will his role be? He doesn't recruit pitchers, he doesn't call pitches, he makes some mound visits, and now scheduling duties are being taken away.

Comment

Working...
                                X