Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    Quite true. I know a couple that attended a dinner for the big money boosters in LA during WSU's sweet 16 appearance. This couple was stunned by the pressure that was being applied on Sexton by the big money folks to get rid of Gene Stephenson.
    Gene may of been a great baseball coach, but from what I hear from x-players who live around the area he wasn't always the easiest person to get along with or play for. And I doubt the negativity was only aimed at the players.. Gene was good at winning baseball games and that's why he was retained for so long. Everything else about the guy was subject to bitterness, hatred and arogance.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
      Gene may of been a great baseball coach, but from what I hear from x-players who live around the area he wasn't always the easiest person to get along with or play for. And I doubt the negativity was only aimed at the players.. Gene was good at winning baseball games and that's why he was retained for so long. Everything else about the guy was subject to bitterness, hatred and arogance.
      From what I recall, he was not fired for being bitter, full of hate, and being arrogant.

Regardless, the sooner a new coach is hired, and the Shocker program is back as a relevant top 15 program, the healing can start. I definitely plan to fly in when the entire baseball complex is dedicated to one of college baseball's best coaches.

I'll be surprised if the Butler is not given at least one more year though.

Comment

• Todd's not going anywhere. The pitching needs to be fixed without a doubt, but the position players are there. And anyone that thinks they can fire Todd and keep all those talented freshmen are kidding themselves.

He'll get it done here. Yes it's taking longer than any of us would like, but it's going in the right direction. Just gotta fix what's happening on the bump.

No I'm not related to him and no he's not perfect but you might as well get to yard and support him because (rightly) he ain't going anywhere.

Also stop living in the past. We aren't playing Friends 15 times a year anymore. College baseball is a lot different today. But WSU will be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker3435 View Post
          Todd's not going anywhere. The pitching needs to be fixed without a doubt, but the position players are there. And anyone that thinks they can fire Todd and keep all those talented freshmen are kidding themselves.

He'll get it done here. Yes it's taking longer than any of us would like, but it's going in the right direction. Just gotta fix what's happening on the bump.

No I'm not related to him and no he's not perfect but you might as well get to yard and support him because (rightly) he ain't going anywhere.

Also stop living in the past. We aren't playing Friends 15 times a year anymore. College baseball is a lot different today. But WSU will be back.
          We shall see, what we shall see.

(I have been sick for 6 days. I notice that I have not missed much.)
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Do what?

Comment

Todd's not going anywhere. The pitching needs to be fixed without a doubt, but the position players are there. And anyone that thinks they can fire Todd and keep all those talented freshmen are kidding themselves.

My prediction is he will probably get another year (as long as things don't implode in MVC play). The administration knows how much of disaster he did inherit, so will probably suck it up and take the heat this year. But that being said there is nothing on the field showing that this program is moving in the right direction (at least as of yet).

I'll listen on the radio while I'm taking care of business at home, but I'm not going to waste my time on bad baseball.

Also stop living in the past. We aren't playing Friends 15 times a year anymore.
              WSU never played Friends-esque 15 time any year except early on in the program when there was no schedule restrictions or until maybe Gene last year, when he was trying to create the perception of winning. You do a disservice to the history of the WSU program as they did play challenging non-conference schedules.

College baseball is a lot different today. But WSU will be back.
              That is just an excuse. Baseball is still baseball. We heard the same thing about basketball - "There is no way WSU can ever expect to be a nationally relevant, or ranked again" The Marshall Plan shows that anything is possible with the right people.

But I would say most will embrace Butler if he does get it turned around. According to Drake AD, the 3rd year is the roughest during a rebuild. :star:

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                From what I recall, he was not fired for being bitter, full of hate, and being arrogant.

Regardless, the sooner a new coach is hired, and the Shocker program is back as a relevant top 15 program, the healing can start. I definitely plan to fly in when the entire baseball complex is dedicated to one of college baseball's best coaches.

I'll be surprised if the Butler is not given at least one more year though.
                From what I recall, that certainly contributed. He didn't see a need to meet with the AD; he didn't accept a gracious retirement, etc. Yeah, that played a role.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                  From what I recall, that certainly contributed. He didn't see a need to meet with the AD; he didn't accept a gracious retirement, etc. Yeah, that played a role.
                  Not that it matters now, but Gene wasn't offered a gracious retirement. He was told he could resign and not get paid for the final year on his contract or he could be fired and get paid over a half million for his final year.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                    Not that it matters now, but Gene wasn't offered a gracious retirement. He was told he could resign and not get paid for the final year on his contract or he could be fired and get paid over a half million for his final year.
                    I seriously doubt it was that simple. I also do not buy that Gene was totally surprised. Well, he might of believed he had saved himself by backing in to the NCAA by winning the Valley tournament, but if he thought his job was not in jeopardy before that, he had his head in the sand. If Gene would even listen, I'm sure there was discussions once his contract was no longer rolling over.

Comment

• At worst, Gene got what he gave.
                      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Gene gave a natty. Haven't seen anyone else around here do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          Gene gave a natty. Haven't seen anyone else around here do that.
                          Nope not even Marshall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Gene gave a natty. Haven't seen anyone else around here do that.
                            Gene didn't, he coached and led the team. I respect the accomplishment and truly wish him and the entire team well. When Krusty high tailed it to Norman he relinquished any sort of coach for life, go out on his terms circumstance.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                              Gene didn't, he coached and led the team. I respect the accomplishment and truly wish him and the entire team well. When Krusty high tailed it to Norman he relinquished any sort of coach for life, go out on his terms circumstance.
                              This. And I'm not being bitter about him going to OU, because I wasn't and understood why he'd go to OU.

However, in coming back, it was now all about the business of winning and earning one's high keep and representing the university in a positive manner.

Comment

The Shox actually played some pretty tough schedules until Gene's last year. Most years the non-conference schedule was actually tougher than this year. And even that last year they only played one non-division 1 game. The last year they played more than 4 games against non-division 1 teams was probably 1984 and back then they played a lot more games.

Comment

Working...
                                X