No announcement yet.

Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I noticed with the 2017 class is the lack of any players from Kansas.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
      Does this mean we have already lost R.J. Dabovich RHP - Pueblo, CO and EJ Freeman RHP - KC Turner? I know they were early commits but I haven't seen anything about either of them recently. Given the number of RHPs listed I assume these two decided to go a different direction?
      I don't know if Dabovich knows where he's going yet, but Freeman has signed with Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Baseball recruiting classes are notoriously hard to evaluate so only time really tells what you have.

This class is 11 freshman and 1 juco transfer. The juco transfer is Mason O'Brien who played at Oklahoma State in 2015, redshirted at OSU in 2016 and will play his RSo. year at Cowley County. He is the nephew of Charlie O'Brien.

Current year roster only has 4 seniors. No sure-fire MLB draft picks among the Juniors or Redshirt Sophomores. Most likely might be Gunnar Troutwine.
        Eventually I will adjust to the over-signing thing (maybe) but if I understand this correctly we just signed 12 in the EARLY signing period (not including Dabovich) to replace 4 roster spots for next year? And we still have 40 on this year's roster.

Obviously 5 of those will need to fall off before the season starts but right now we have 48 or 49 players (current roster that are eligible to return + signed) for 35 roster spots next season.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          Eventually I will adjust to the over-signing thing (maybe) but if I understand this correctly we just signed 12 in the EARLY signing period (not including Dabovich) to replace 4 roster spots for next year? And we still have 40 on this year's roster.

Obviously 5 of those will need to fall off before the season starts but right now we have 48 or 49 players (current roster that are eligible to return + signed) for 35 roster spots next season.
          Ironicallly, in announcing this class HCTB stated "This year's class is another smaller class..."

It is always a guessing game as to how the MLB draft will impact a team but it's extremely unlikely that will make much of a dent in the 13 to 14 player roster overage.

It might be a little easier to accept and adjust to if there was some payoff in the win column. So far that has not been the case.

Of the 40 players currently on the roster 13 of those are non-scholarship players. But you will always have 8 non-scholarship players if you field a full 35-man roster. But 5 players on the current year roster will not be on the roster at the beginning of the season.

So I guess if you measure from what will be the roster in the Spring we will have 43 players for 35 spots next year. IF the MLB draft takes 2 or 3 of those players than we might be as low as 40 players for 35 spots. That is about the best way I can spin it.

Comment

And that is also IF we don't add anyone in the next year.

Comment

Ironicallly, in announcing this class HCTB stated "This year's class is another smaller class..."
              Maybe he just meant not as tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                Maybe he just meant not as tall.
                Could be. :friendly_wink:

Last year's early signing period class included 13 players averaging 6-2.85. This year's 12 player early signing group averages a puny 6-1.67 including one 5-9 midget.

BTW, of those 13 players signed last year 12 are listed on this year's roster. Of those 12 players, 8 are pitchers of which 6 are righties.

The one recruit from that group that is not on the current roster is Drake Durham a left-handed pitcher listed at 6-3, 205 in the Shocker signing announcement. Looking at MaxPreps he wasn't all that highly ranked. Only 1,415 nationallly and 30 in SC. He was actually ranked much higher as a football player by MaxPreps (385 and 8). Maybe he decided to play football. Not sure about that. However, MaxPrepas listed his as 6-0, 155 on his basketball ranking page and 5-11, 165 on his MaxPreps football page. So maybe we aren't as tall as advertised.

In any case, with those 8 pitchers and 2 RFr pitchers on this year's roster new pitching coach Mike Steele has a lot of new raw material to work with. Whether any of it will be of high quality remains to be seen. Overall PCMS has 16 RHP and 7 LHP currently on the 40-man roster to work with. Last year the Shockers used a total of 15 pitchers (including Tewes and Schwanke). Looks like there is a very good chance that the roster cuts needed to get to a 35-man roster in the Spring may well come from the pitchers.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 21, 2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Shocks add another catcher to the 2017 recruiting class bringing the total signings to 13 including 3 catchers.

Looks like we are heading for some big turnover on the roster. We have 4 seniors on this year's roster. We have 9 juniors and 4 RS sophomores but not sure any of them are likely to be drafted. Maybe a couple will be late rounders.

Comment

Can any of them catch a fastball they know is coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Can any of them catch a fastball they know is coming?
                      Probably both the 5-9, 195 lb Ross Cadena and the 6-0, 190 lb Bryce McDermott but do they really have a chance of making the cut.

Comment

Probably both the 5-9, 195 lb Ross Cadena and the 6-0, 190 lb Bryce McDermott but do they really have a chance of making he cut.
                        This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Comment

2017 Commit Tyler Davis from Oak Ridge High School (Oak Ridge, TX) was named to the THSBCA Class 6A All Star Game.

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like we are adding a local kid to the mix for next season.

Braden Ash‏ @yaboyloco 23 hours ago

Extremely blessed to announce that I will be attending Wichita State University to future my academic and baseball career GO SHOCKERS

Braden is a RHP/SS from Derby.

Braden Ash, RHP/SS, Derby HS (KS), 2017
                            Ash is a long and lean shortstop and right-handed pitcher, projectable frame with ability to add strength as he continues to develop. On the infield, moves well laterally, making plus plays both t back hand and forehand side. On the mound, 83-86 mph with fastball, show an occasionally sharp 11-to-5 breaking ball, 71-72 mph.

Not finding a whole lot of information on this young man. Perhaps, at this late date, coming in as a walkon. He was Honorable Mention AVCTL-1 this past season.

Looks like a bit of a long shot to me.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 25, 2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Looks like we are adding a local kid to the mix for next season.

Braden Ash‏ @yaboyloco 23 hours ago

Extremely blessed to announce that I will be attending Wichita State University to future my academic and baseball career GO SHOCKERS

Brandon is a RHP/SS from Derby.

Braden Ash, RHP/SS, Derby HS (KS), 2017
                              Ash is a long and lean shortstop and right-handed pitcher, projectable frame with ability to add strength as he continues to develop. On the infield, moves well laterally, making plus plays both t back hand and forehand side. On the mound, 83-86 mph with fastball, show an occasionally sharp 11-to-5 breaking ball, 71-72 mph.

Not finding a whole lot of information on this young man. Perhaps, at this late date, coming in as a walkon. He was Honorable Mention AVCTL-1 this past season.

Looks like a bit of a long shot to me.

Id be curious to see where hes playing as far as position. He throws good. Seen him in action a few times when he was pitching for the BC Yankees this past fall and summer. The projectable is right as he's on the skinny side and could add some strength. I dont think he attended any showcases just strictly summer/fall ball so there might not be a whole lot of info out there on him. You can find some videos though if you search twitter

Comment

Theres not a thread which is fine so Ill throw this out there.

If you get a chance to go watch Campus over the next couple of years - do it. Mateo Martinez has already signed with WSU but their 2020 class has 3 studs in it. Tanner Leslie, Jackson Hartley & Austin Warkins. All 3 are multi-sport athletes and should have their choice of colleges to pick from in any sport.

Comment

Working...
                                X