Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2017

I guess the 1st two verbal commitments for the Class of 2017 are on the clock:

On the way in 2017 — Pitcher R.J. Dabovich, from Pueblo (Colo.) West, and catcher Ross Cadena, from Southlake (Texas) Carroll, recently gave WSU’s baseball team non-binding commitments. They are both entering their junior years in high school and are WSU’s first commitments from the class of 2017.

Dabovich (6-foot-4, 195) said he also considered Arizona, Hawaii, Missouri and Kansas State. He said his fastball sits in the high 80s. He also throws a slider, curve and changeup.
    “My main goal is to get developed and get better,” he said. “My best pitch is my four-seam fastball. Not many people catch up to it at my level. I hope to come to Wichita State sitting in the low 90s.”

Cadena (5-9, 190) said he likes the prospect of immediate playing time when he arrives in the fall of 2017 to prepare for the 2018 season. He also looks forward to working with assistant coach Brian Walker, who caught in college and the minor leagues.

With him being drafted, he would have a big role in me being a catcher and work with me every day,” Cadena said. “I like being involved in every pitch, every inning.”
    Cadena said he also visited Arkansas, Texas A&M and TCU.

“I was just waiting to see what my gut told me to pick,” he said. “I chose Wichita State because when I met coach (Todd) Butler and (Walker) they were really nice guys and really cared about me. They’re the right guys and this is the right fit.”

Liam Eddy, 6'4" RHP from Brighton, CO has committed to the Shox. Looks like he picked WSU over Nebraska.

Covo⚾️ @Alex_Cov_4
    Congrats @Liameddy05 for committing to Wichita state!!!!
    Perfect Game profile.

PrepBaseballReport profile.

Comment

Andy Menard @arprospectcoach
      S/O to 2017 Prospect Paxton Wallace and his commitment to Wichita State University. @ARPROSPECTS @GoShockers:BSB
      6'1", 200lb, RHP from Greenbrier, Arkansas

PBR profile

PerfectGame profile

Comment

A new commitment:

PBR Kansas@PBRKansas
        Congrats to RHP EJ Freeman (Turner, 2017) on his commitment to Wichita State. @EddieFreeman17

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          A new commitment:
          Big boy according to MaxPreps. 6-5, 250lbs and that was as a sophomore.

Check out E.J. Freeman's high school sports timeline including updates while playing baseball at Turner High School (Kansas City, KS).

Comment

I remember when I used to get excited about looking up WSU baseball recruits so I could look at their video game numbers from high school.

Those were the days.

Comment

Jeff Sullivan@JSully12
              Paxton Wallace (@paxton_wallace) - 6'1, 3B/RHP w/ power bat and cannon arm! 92 mph INF velo. Wichita State commit. pic.twitter.com/q2NRevwFQg

Comment

Baseball announces 2017 recruiting class.

7 of the 12 are pitchers (or picher/infielders) all of whom are righties.

2 catchers.

Comment

But are they tall?
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Kid from Nebraska (same HS as AJ Ladwig) is the #1 prospect in the state. His stat line is less than impressive, but my guess is there's a story there - injury or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                      But are they tall?
                      There is one sub-six footer.

Comment

Baseball recruiting classes are notoriously hard to evaluate so only time really tells what you have.

This class is 11 freshman and 1 juco transfer. The juco transfer is Mason O'Brien who played at Oklahoma State in 2015, redshirted at OSU in 2016 and will play his RSo. year at Cowley County. He is the nephew of Charlie O'Brien.

Current year roster only has 4 seniors. No sure-fire MLB draft picks among the Juniors or Redshirt Sophomores. Most likely might be Gunnar Troutwine.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                          Kid from Nebraska (same HS as AJ Ladwig) is the #1 prospect in the state. His stat line is less than impressive, but my guess is there's a story there - injury or something.
                          I noticed that, too. I hope there is a mitigating factor.

Comment

Garrett Kocis video from 2014 and 2015

Comment

Does this mean we have already lost R.J. Dabovich RHP - Pueblo, CO and EJ Freeman RHP - KC Turner? I know they were early commits but I haven't seen anything about either of them recently. Given the number of RHPs listed I assume these two decided to go a different direction?

Comment

Working...
                              X