Big Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Week

The Shockers have one of their bigger weeks of the season this week.

Washington State comes to Wichita on Wednesday night, one night after playing Kansas State in Manhattan. The Cougars are 9-2 on the season, including grabbing 2 out of 3 from Creighton at home, sweeping a 2 game series at UNLV, beating Wright State 3 times fairly easily, and this last weekend taking 3 out of 4 games from Kent State at home. Wazzou will spend its entire spring break in the midwest on a tough road trip, finishing the 6 game week with a four game series with Oklahoma in Norman.

Overall, the Cougars are a solid team that could really create some problems for the Shockers if their bats get hot. Statistically, they were the worst hitting team in the Pac 10 a year ago. Although that doesn't seem to be the case this year, as they are averaging over 10 runs per game.

Over the weekend, the Shocks have a big showdown with TCU at the Eck. The Horned Frogs have had an up and down start to their 2008 season, most recently taking 2 out of 3 from #2 Mississippi in Fort Worth. After dropping 4 of their first 7 games, the Frogs have turned it around winning 4 of their last 5. The weekend rotation has been very good to TCU, as they allowed just 3, 4, and 1 runs in each of the games over the weekend.

This would be a very good week for the Shockers to step it up and take 4 games. Taking 3 would be very good, but anything less tells me this team isn't ready to be ranked in the top 25. We have to get a good start out of someone on Wednesday night, because the Cougars have been mashing thier opponents pitching. Hopefully we continue to solidify the lineup more this week, as several players stepped up over the weekend and are pushing starters for positions.

I am starting to like the Dirks, Jones, Gillaspie, Coleman start to the lineup. I don't expect that to change anytime soon. After that, Gene seems to be sticking with Weber, followed by Workman and the DH spot. It looks like McKeever and Lassley are in an open competition for that spot. I expect to see them split time until one of them breaks through to win the job. Tyler Hill is going to play 1st base most of this season. He will continue to fill the 7 or 8 hole in the batting order. Left field is the real wild card right now, and that was pretty much expected. Bascue, Kevin Hall and now Kenny Williams, Jr. are all vying to fill the position. I expect Bascue and Williams to get most of the time, with Hall getting a lot of chances late in games to run the bases. This guy is really fast. So is Williams.

The weekend rotation is looking as solid as we thought. Although after that everything is pretty much an unknown. I think Tim Kelley has the inside track on the first weekday starter, after that you can roll the dice. The bullpen really needs someone to step up like Womack and Touchatt did last year. Dusty should get some opportunities this week in close games.

Comment

Re: Big Week

Originally posted by goshox24
      The Shockers have one of their bigger weeks of the season this week.

Washington State comes to Wichita on Wednesday night, one night after playing Kansas State in Manhattan. The Cougars are 9-2 on the season, including grabbing 2 out of 3 from Creighton at home, sweeping a 2 game series at UNLV, beating Wright State 3 times fairly easily, and this last weekend taking 3 out of 4 games from Kent State at home. Wazzou will spend its entire spring break in the midwest on a tough road trip, finishing the 6 game week with a four game series with Oklahoma in Norman.

Overall, the Cougars are a solid team that could really create some problems for the Shockers if their bats get hot. Statistically, they were the worst hitting team in the Pac 10 a year ago. Although that doesn't seem to be the case this year, as they are averaging over 10 runs per game.

Over the weekend, the Shocks have a big showdown with TCU at the Eck. The Horned Frogs have had an up and down start to their 2008 season, most recently taking 2 out of 3 from #2 Mississippi in Fort Worth. After dropping 4 of their first 7 games, the Frogs have turned it around winning 4 of their last 5. The weekend rotation has been very good to TCU, as they allowed just 3, 4, and 1 runs in each of the games over the weekend.

This would be a very good week for the Shockers to step it up and take 4 games. Taking 3 would be very good, but anything less tells me this team isn't ready to be ranked in the top 25. We have to get a good start out of someone on Wednesday night, because the Cougars have been mashing thier opponents pitching. Hopefully we continue to solidify the lineup more this week, as several players stepped up over the weekend and are pushing starters for positions.
      Thanks for the info. This kind of stuff is a little hard to come by.
      www.myspace.com/clarensau
      it's what i do

Comment

I think that McKeever will edge Lassley b/c of the problem of putting a pinch runner in for tweb, thus putting lassley in as catcher and then losing the DH.

(That is assuming their numbers are similar after a few series)

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but Lassley could move to the catcher spot from the DH spot late in games if someone runs for Weber. The pinch runner would then become the DH in the lineup. I think McKeever and Lassley are both capable of earning the DH spot. Should be exciting to watch.

Comment

I was under the impression that if you move your DH into a position, the DH is gone.

Comment

Rose you are right. If the DH enters the game as a position player the pitcher then takes the DH's spot

Comment

Correct: The designated hitter may enter the game on defense once but must bat in the original position in the lineup. The pitcher must then bat in the position vacated by the player leaving the game.

--'85.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

So the pitcher has to bat in that situation, or can he be pinch hit for, thus making the switch possible?

Comment

He can be pinch hit for, but then a new pitcher must come into the game. Similar to a national league style of game.

Comment

Working...
                    X