Gene Stephenson enters College Baseball Hall with well-developed coaching tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    generally, you go into the hall-of-fame after your career is over, so I don't know how it would be considered "overdue" after him being inducted while he been only out as a coach less than a year. Well deserved though, I suppose this also means his coaching career is now over right?
    I'll admit I'm not sure about this, and I haven't taken time to confirm it, but aren't there some active college basketball coaches in their Hall of Fame? Coach K; maybe Dean Smith and Bob Knight when they were coaching? Obviously that's different from the pro leagues, but I don't believe it's unheard of in college.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/21/351...#storylink=cpy

So @SB Shock are you saying Gene's plan was that he would sit out a year to re-charge and collect his final salary and then he and Brent (and perhaps JT) would move on as a group to another school and that Brent had made a commitment to move on with Gene after one more year as WSU pitching coach. But for whatever reason Brent decided that move wasn't in his best interest and negotiated a longer extension with WSU, although I assume he is still free to leave if he so desires.

Is that what caused Gene's feelings to change or did something else happen between Gene and Brent to precipitate Gene's change in feelings or Brent making the decision to accept a longer-term extension of his contract with WSU?
      SB and 1989 and others-If it was well known, many on here will know the answer to my question. Gene had plenty of money and Brent was going to stay and coach for a year but what was Thomas going to do for a living while they waited to go to another school?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        It well known what happen - kemnitz distanced himself from gene and company and negotiated keeping his job. Gene was taken by suprise - he was expecting to just take the whole crew to another location school. But without kemnitz the crew is not much in demand. It was a kemnitz -coup-de-tat
        Just throwing out observations, I don't see how BK getting an extension made any difference. Gene promoted the idea of BK staying on (for a year) and if BK wanted to go somewhere else later with Gene, he still could. BK going for an extension is job protection. Nothing says Gene and Kemnitz would get an offer elsewhere in a year (or 2 or 3). And just because Gene might be willing to take a job for half or less to chase the "wins" doesn't mean Kemnitz would/could/or needed to take a similar cut. I'm sure getting suitors for Gene services is greatly improved if Brent comes along, but why should he take a big hit in pay when he's got some security? Once again, Gene wanted to call the shots saying BK would remain for one year. Did he discuss this with Brent before making the statement?

I believe there were other issues. One might be that Brent could be more in demand than Gene and he could strike a better deal with a better situation than what Gene was likely to be offered. To me, that seems reasonable. I really don't see how Gene could begrudge Brent continued success and should have been happy for him. In stead, it was another surprise. Probably like the surprise Gene experienced when schools weren't beating down his door and offering big bucks. Sorry, but Krusty lost his believability when he said losing his position took him by surprise. That ball started rolling when his contract stopped rolling over.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So @SB Shock are you saying Gene's plan was that he would sit out a year to re-charge and collect his final salary and then he and Brent (and perhaps JT) would move on as a group to another school and that Brent had made a commitment to move on with Gene after one more year as WSU pitching coach. But for whatever reason Brent decided that move wasn't in his best interest and negotiated a longer extension with WSU, although I assume he is still free to leave if he so desires.

Is that what caused Gene's feelings to change or did something else happen between Gene and Brent to precipitate Gene's change in feelings or Brent making the decision to accept a longer-term extension of his contract with WSU?

I have no idea what Gene plan was then or now. If I was to guess I think he wasn't expected to be fired and was caught a little by suprise. I think he thought when they won the MVC tournament he had saved his job another year.

My thoughts are based on what transpired at the events and what Kemnitz said shortly after on sports daily. Kemnitz said (paraphrasing) that Sexton came to him to ask him to stay and he tried calling Gene and telling him he wouldn't be at the news conference with them and he he was only able to talk to JT and tell him he was going to get to stay on and JT said something like "Good for you". I believe the Stephenson "I fought for them to keep Kemnitz" is just his spin on an embarrassing moment and he was not in any position to demand anything. Why would Gene not take Kemnitz call if he put Kemnitz where he wanted him?

Once Gene realized what happen ...we are where we are. I'm just surprised it all came out in the media in this story - but I assume that Gene wanted everybody to know he wasn't happy with Kemnitz.

It is kind of ironic, but Gene support started dropping after he flirted with OU and said so many damaging things about the program, and Kemnitz admitted he was the architect of it all and Gene didn't really want to leave, but it was Kemnitz who wanted to leave - he in the end it was Kemnitz finding away to keep his job.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Just throwing out observations, I don't see how BK getting an extension made any difference. Gene promoted the idea of BK staying on (for a year) and if BK wanted to go somewhere else later with Gene, he still could. BK going for an extension is job protection. Nothing says Gene and Kemnitz would get an offer elsewhere in a year (or 2 or 3). And just because Gene might be willing to take a job for half or less to chase the "wins" doesn't mean Kemnitz would/could/or needed to take a similar cut. I'm sure getting suitors for Gene services is greatly improved if Brent comes along, but why should he take a big hit in pay when he's got some security? Once again, Gene wanted to call the shots saying BK would remain for one year. Did he discuss this with Brent before making the statement?

I believe there were other issues. One might be that Brent could be more in demand than Gene and he could strike a better deal with a better situation than what Gene was likely to be offered. To me, that seems reasonable. I really don't see how Gene could begrudge Brent continued success and should have been happy for him. In stead, it was another surprise. Probably like the surprise Gene experienced when schools weren't beating down his door and offering big bucks. Sorry, but Krusty lost his believability when he said losing his position took him by surprise. That ball started rolling when his contract stopped rolling over.
            I don't agree. Gene was convinced that if the Shockers made the ncaa tournament that it would save his job. He believed that Sexton's concern with the program was that they had not made the ncaa tournament for 3 straight years. Obviously as it turns out that wasn't enough but it did catch Gene by surprise because he thought it would be enough.

Comment

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                I don't agree. Gene was convinced that if the Shockers made the ncaa tournament that it would save his job. He believed that Sexton's concern with the program was that they had not made the ncaa tournament for 3 straight years. Obviously as it turns out that wasn't enough but it did catch Gene by surprise because he thought it would be enough.
                Well, getting to the post-season by winning the tournament of the 15th ranked conference while your own RPI hovered around 100, then getting throttled by K St 20-11 in the first NCAA game doesn't instill much of a reason for a vote of confidence. That was one of the problems with Gene. He thought that was good enough to continue earning a half mill+ a year.

Had the Shocks been an at-large level team, Gene and your positions could have held water. As it is, I think it was spin.

Comment

Gene sure looks a lot healthier after taking off the last year. Back injuries and carrying JT, while fighting off Bugs took a toll on his health.

There's a Shakespearean play with the dismissal of GS , and the interactions of ES, and BK.
                  Gene lost his enthusiasm (health, traitors, lack of program $$$, % requirement of KS players, personal issues???), Bugs handling the dismissal poorly, and a traitor in the middle of it all.
                  Ironic that Brent was the devil on Gene's shoulder telling him to go to OU (which many Shocker fans never forgave Gene) and yet Brent stays. He's a sneaky dude.

Someday, we'll all know

Comment

No mention of GS's HoF on goshockers.com
                    Disrespectful to the program and all the players and various coaches who contributed to Gene's success over the years.
                    Come on. Do the right thing guys ..,

Comment

Um, the ceremony is tonight. I will personally join you if there is no mention in the morning.

Comment

We're talkin' Texas sized BBQ! http://www.collegebaseballhall.org/bbq.jsp

Yes, the actual ceremony is tonight:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

A video from Jenn Bates.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                            Um, the ceremony is tonight. I will personally join you if there is no mention in the morning.
                            I see your point. But normally you'd see something written in advance to let fans know about the nomination and honor.

I'm just a Shocker fan. I didn't play for the team, but am very respectful of all Gene, the players, and most of the asst coaches accomplished over some incredibly amazing years.

Give the man respect and his due. He's earned it.

Comment

There was a article back in February on goshockers about the event.

LUBBOCK, Texas ? Former Wichita State baseball head coach Gene Stephenson will be a part of the 2014 College Baseball Hall of Fame induction class.

Maybe they're waiting until after the event before having another article.

Comment

BMAeTH7CMAAPZQX.jpg
                                Last edited by mr_baseball; June 28, 2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X