No announcement yet.

Gene Stephenson interview on Sports Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think naming the entire complex and the street near the baseball complex after Gene Stephenson would go a long way to lessen the sting that many people feel with his dismissal.
    Most importantly, a ceremony with the name change would provide many fans the opportunity to properly say goodbye and give thanks to the coaching legend. The ceremony attended by a sold out crowd and as many former players as possible would probably mean a great deal to Gene.

Who would be the best opponent?
    Oklahoma State? Texas?

Go Shox!

Comment

Oklahoma State would be the best opponent hands down. They were the kings of Midwest baseball until Gene's Shocker teams challenged them. Great rivalry, some great games, a lot of great players.

I don't want or need this to happen to remove any sting from Gene's forced retirement. Personally, I thought it was time for Gene to step down. But I understand, and I think most Shocker fans understand, that Gene built what we have and deserves kudos and recognition for that over and above the substantial financial compensation he has received over the years.

Whether or not their is enough goodwill left between Gene and the WSU Athletic Administration to make this happen I can't say.

Comment

Nice point about the academic accomplishments of Gene's teams, Doc. I remember being in Austin some years ago, not long after Cliff Gustafson was pushed out, at whatever time of year they announced UT's athletic honor roll, and it was treated as positive news that Augie's baseball team had eight or nine -- I don't recall exactly which, but it was one of those -- guys who earned academic honors. I'm not a student of Texas baseball, and I haven't done the research, but I got the distinct impression that was a step up for them in terms of academic performance.

By contrast, for most of Gene's teams -- including many that competed at the highest level on the diamond (and, of course, never lost to Texas in postseason play) -- eight or nine on the honor roll would have been a poor year academically. There's no doubt things deteriorated at the end, as they often do with aging, strong-willed, successful coaches, and it's a shame this was one of those cases. But for a LONG time, you'd have been hard pressed to find a more distinguished, model program, on the field and off, than what WSU had under Stephenson.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
          I am glad that I am out of town and do not have access to the web except for this brief moment.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Bruce Haertl's comments on the Shockers Valley tournament performance and the state of the Shocker program.

Interesting comment about the players knowing that a purge is coming and that may have affected the team's focus this year and in the tournament.

Bruce closed with:

There was a time that Wichita State used to be judged nationally, then regionally—now it’s how they stack up in the Valley where they finished fourth this season. There’s a lot of work to be done in this program.
            Hard to argue that point, although I suppose it is just stating the obvious.

Comment

@Veritas here a some numbers for SEC Baseball Coaches compensation. Gene's compensation would be have near the top of the SEC. Todd Butler would be in the lower 1/3rd of the SEC.

See guaranteed pay, maximum bonuses, outside income, buyouts and contract lengths for public SEC baseball coaches.

I don't think there is any doubt that the big football conferences are throwing much more resources at baseball in the last 10 to 15 years including the B1G.

Comment

Working...
              X