Gm 4 - vs Central Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gm 4 - vs Central Arkansas

WSU faces Central Arkansas (1-2) of the Southland Conference on Tuesday. Central Arkansas opened their season against SWOMO and lost 2 of 3 (5-11, 4-6, 6-4). Last year they were a 42-22 NCAA regional team even though they finished 7th in the Southland. They took Mississippi State all the way to the 2nd championship game. They are picked to finish 6th in the southland.

We got the win over you guys last year, but it will be a lot harder this year. We lost so much from last year's team and they were the best team in school history. Our starting pitching was supposed to be a strong point but our friday guy, who was preseason 1st team all-southland, got rocked my MSU. Obviously that won't matter with this game, but im interested to see how our midweek pitching does

It was a disappointing start to lose 2/3 but at least we got some momentum going with the Sunday win. Still don't know what to expect with so many new players...but our shortstop has been our best player so far. So yeah i doubt we see a 17-3 start like last year but hopefully we can be better than we have been in the years prior to that, Gum is a great coach. Interested to see how Todd Butler does with you guys too

Comment

Sam tewes looks really good so far. Fastball in the low 90s good control. He's going to be a good one. I also like what I see in freshman wes Phillips . Wait until we are at full strength! This is a good ball club. Well balanced.

Comment

Shox chase the starter in the 2nd with patience at the plate. Micah Green must have one of the biggest differences between baseball ability and baseball IQ of anyone we've ever had. 3 walks, 1 HBP, 1 WP in the inning and he's up first pitch swinging. THINK!

3-0 WSU
        End 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          Shox chase the starter in the 2nd with patience at the plate. Micah Green must have one of the biggest differences between baseball ability and baseball IQ of anyone we've ever had. 3 walks, 1 HBP, 1 WP in the inning and he's up first pitch swinging. THINK!

3-0 WSU
          End 2
          That won't get it under this coach

Comment

Fun game. Shox really doing a pretty good job of capitalizing on miscues. Loving the decision-making by just about everyone in the lineup.

7-0 WSU
            3rd

Comment

I'm liking what I'm hearing about Tewes from Shane. And he's a frosh to boot? I know it's early, but have we locked down our mid-week starter for the remainder of the year? Throwing in the low 90s can be attributed to being amped up for his first start, but having control means this kid may be up to snuff.

Comment

In my A NEW ERA thread I predicted good things for the team this year and still do,
                but what the team really needs is that Friday guy that wins ten games and a solid
                closer. That is what will be needed come post season. Anyone see a dominant
                Friday guy and a solid closer?

Comment

This is fun.

9-0 WSU
                  4th

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                    In my A NEW ERA thread I predicted good things for the team this year and still do, but what the team really needs is that Friday guy that wins ten games and a solid closer. That is what will be needed come post season. Anyone see a dominant Friday guy and a solid closer?
                    There isn't a Mike Pelphery or Brian Oelkers on this team - get used to that. There are, however, some very capable starting pitchers. I honestly think any of the top 3 (Brummet, Ladewig, Elam) are capable of All-MVC honors.

The Blumas, Dreiforts, and Newlins have used-up their eligibility. Look for Looney, LaBrie, Vielock and Ashford to get plenty of work out of the 'pen. If you haven't seen Ray Ashford pitch - pay attention when he comes into a game. And Looney wears jersey #37 and is a big man - made me do a double-take.

And there other guys who will contribute.

Folks, this is a deep, talented and very experienced pitching staff. If the offense pulls their weight and the defense gets solidified, the pitchers will be there in spades.
                    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

TJ Looney gonna give Kemnitz fits as he comes in the 9th and walks 3 when up 9-1

Comment

3 run triple given up by Gardner. 9-4 shox with 1 out in the 9th.

Comment

Another double. 9-5 Shox.

Comment

Tewes will be our Friday starter the next two years. He was offered $200K out of highschool to sign but his family is well off and college is better for his development. Rae has a sick curveball...he will be great out of the pen. Cody Tyler is a tough lefty, we have a talented pitching staff.

As for the position players I spoke with a scout and Casey is a for sure 1st rounder just need to see how high he goes. Wes Phillips is very impressive and he is our SS of the future. Khile looks really good and will platoon with Mucha. Green still can't hit off pseed and if I was the opposing team I would never no matter what throw him a fastball. Bayliff looks pretty locked in. Simpson is a stud.

We will be a #2 seed at a regional this year. I think we are that good. On our way to hosting again in a year or two.

Comment

Gardner gives up another double. 9-6 Shox. Time to quit fooling around, bring in somebody who can pitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X