Stats you would like to see this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats you would like to see this season

Just thinking about the improvement I want to see from our returning players who got quite a few ABs last season. We always want to see more power. I am hoping Gillaspie, Weber, and McKeever can provide some pop in the middle of the order. I am expecting last year's freshmen to step up in several areas and fill the void left by Sublett, Brown and Schermerhorn. I can see everyone's average improving from last season. I expect a very big year out of Gillaspie, Weber, and Dirks.

Gillaspie - .360 avg, 100 hits, 75 rbi, 30 bb, .500 slg%
    Workman - .310 avg, 60 runs, .450 ob%, 30 sb
    Dirks - .340 avg, 60 runs, .475 obp, 25 sb
    Weber - .315 avg, 20 2b, 15 hr, 65 rbi
    Hill - .300 avg, 10 2b, 5 hr, 65 GP
    Coleman - .300 avg, 20 2b, 5 hr, .970 fld%
    McKeever - .290 avg, 15 2b, 10 hr, .475 slg%
    Jones - .290 avg, 50 hits, .420 ob%, 20 sb
    Bascue - .290 avg, 10 2b, .450 slg%

Interested to hear what others think...

Go Shocks!

I want to see Weber have the same kind of percentage increase this year as he did last year. What I really want to see is him pull off an error free season, which he came oh so close to doing last year and if he does those two things, the J Bench award is his.

Comment

You're really asking a lot of some of these guys.

The thing you have to remember is that the Shocks don't play any exempt games this season. That means 56 + postseason or probably about 65 games.

Gillaspie is good, but he isn't Ted Williams. No one has had as many 75 rbi in the last 7 seasons except Drew Moffitt (once). Over 70 just 4 times (Moffitt 3, Sorenson 1). 100 hits in a 56 + postseason year, I doubt it. Brandon Green was a hitting machine in '04 and had 101 hits. If Conor gets 100 hits, he'll bat close to .400 - a big jump from .325.

Tyler Weber was out of his mind for a while during the first 1/3 of last season. Cooled dramatically over the last half. Catching everyday takes its toll, and I'd settle for .300/10/50 from him with his yeoman's work behind the plate - oh and GENE how about giving T-Web a few days off.

Tyler Hill and Clint McKeever will undoubtedly platoon at 1B. Tyler got lost on the bench for a while last year and only got 156AB in his 58 games. Unless he starts on fire, I expect some of the young outfielders to get playing time, leaving Tyler to come in as a LH pinch hitter late in games. Tyler is my favorite player, and I wish he would play every inning of every game - he had so many clutch hits late in games last year - but I think platoon at 1B and spot OF duty is his role this year which will keep his stats in-line with last season.

Dusty Coleman is a wild card. If he winds-up being the closer, I'm not sure how his offense will fare. Noah Krol went from servicable as a SS to ... well ... horrible ... when he became the full-time closer. I know, different guys, different circumstances, but it takes almost super-human ability to be productive on offense and as a pitcher. Yes, Sublett did it in '06, but don't forget, he only had 12IP. Dreifort did it, but did I mention something about superhuman? Plus, he was a DH.

I'd dial back my expectations on almost everyone else you mention and be excited to get even close to what you've suggested.

I hope I'm wrong, but the Shocks haven't been great of offense in recent seasons, and I don't expect any miracles.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I would like to see the team hit 0.320/0.420/0.520 (Avg/On Base Pct/Slugging)

If they do that and have good pitching, they will be golden.

Comment

My two cents for the keys for success this season are:

1) Stay healthy especially in pitching.
          2) We need a couple of middle relievers to step up and take the spots.
          3) Related to 1 above, Womack needs to come back strong and remain strong the entire season.

4) We need 1, I would love 2 'diamond in the roughs' to show up and impact the team immediately.

5) Icing on the cake, have at least two guys hit 20 plus homers.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            My two cents for the keys for success this season are:

1) Stay healthy especially in pitching.
            2) We need a couple of middle relievers to step up and take the spots.
            3) Related to 1 above, Womack needs to come back strong and remain strong the entire season.

4) We need 1, I would love 2 'diamond in the roughs' to show up and impact the team immediately.

2 guys hit 20 plus homers?? YEAH RIGHT

Would you also like 3 pitchers to have 15 wins each??

Comment

Originally posted by verbeak
              Originally posted by KC Shox
              2 guys hit 20 plus homers?? YEAH RIGHT

Would you also like 3 pitchers to have 15 wins each??
              Man, that would be icing on the cake and beer in the 'fridge!

I've always appreciated KC's optimism. ;)

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I think the days of 20+ HRs from a Shocker might have gone bye bye with the 2 3/4", -5 bats.

I do think Connor could flirt with .400 if he gets started strong.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

That would be incredible.

I think an OPS of .845 would be a nice goal after seasons of .800, .800, & .760.

I'd take .310/.395/.450 and about 7 runs / game.

Comment

I think perhaps the biggest single key to us offensively this season is Workman.

We need for him to show progression off of his 2006 season as opposed to the regression he displayed last year. I am a little concerned as he fundamentally looked like a different hitter last season than the year before...it didn't look just like a slump. Bat speed, approach, & swing all looked worse. Looked like a guy that had possibly bulked up a little too much.

If he has gotten back to the player with the raw skills he displayed earlier in his career, he could give us -

.335/.435/.510 and 40 SBs

Comment

Win-Loss record in our final game of the season = 1 win, 0 losses

:goshocks:

Comment

First of all, these were not expectations of the team, they are more goals that seem attainable individually, granted the player stays healthy and remains an every day starter. If all of those stats came true we would be easily the best offense in the country.

I see what you are saying about playing less games. That is true. I simply went through last season's stats and made a marginal improvement in areas that I WANT to see.

Connor had 63 rbis last year, so I thought 75 would be a realistic number given he will bat 3rd behind two strong baserunners. He had 96 hits last season, so 100 seems like a small improvement, etc. What I really want to see from Connor is more patience at the plate, that is what killed his average and obp last season. He only took 16 bb all season.

I realize that with TWeb catching everyday, his numbers probably won't exceed the numbers I put up for him, but we have had catchers in the past who did. (Brian Preston senior year numbers were much better than junior year numbers)

Again, these were just some numbers in certain areas that I want to see improvement on, not what I think will happen this spring.

Comment

Josh Workman with 10 DINGERS Clinton McKeever playing first and hitting 5th batting .323 with 10 or more dingers. Ryan Jones playing every day and hitting .300 or better with a little pop.
                          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
                            Originally posted by SB Shock

That would be incredible.

I think an OPS of .845 would be a nice goal after seasons of .800, .800, & .760.

I'd take .310/.395/.450 and about 7 runs / game.
                            That would be a start, I'd still prefer a little higher.

Comment

I would love higher than 7 runs / game, but if you look at the last 3 seasons, 7 would be a nice step up. I believe that 3 of those 4 data points under 7 are 05, 06, & 07...and the 4th one has to be 03. That's more representative of where this program and college baseball is these days.

We lost around 45% of our run production from last season including our 2 best OPS guys, so to expect substantial offensive improvement might be a little unrealistic.

If this team can come anywhere near > 8 runs per game and > .900 OPS like the 2004 team watch out.

Comment

Working...
                              X