Todd Butler, Head Coach of WSU Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
    I think the small ball comment is related to the newer bats putting out less homeruns
    I don't remember that he ever mentioned small ball. He did say that because of the new bats, a team wins with pitching and defense. He added that he liked to use speed and timely hitting to score runs. He also doesn't like to bunt in the early innings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      I liked a lot of what Butler had to say. He had the right answers and you could tell he has a passion and deep desire. That is good.

Being nitpicky, my one question mark was that it appeared he wanted to emphasize more on pitching and small ball. I guess hitting, our obvious weak spot, will just come along?

Other than that, it did get me excited about the future of Shocker baseball.
      While you can have an argument about that philosophical choice, one of the arguments in favor of that approach is what just happened in the LSU-UCLA game at the CWS. LSU came into the game hitting .306 with 47 home runs compared to UCLA at .250 with 19 home runs. Yet, it the large ballpark, all that power for LSU resulted in a lot of fly ball outs and UCLA won the game in a pitcher's duel with small ball. Between the changes in bats and the fact that the CWS is played in a pitcher's stadium, it isn't an unreasonable approach.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        While you can have an argument about that philosophical choice, one of the arguments in favor of that approach is what just happened in the LSU-UCLA game at the CWS. LSU came into the game hitting .306 with 47 home runs compared to UCLA at .250 with 19 home runs. Yet, it the large ballpark, all that power for LSU resulted in a lot of fly ball outs and UCLA won the game in a pitcher's duel with small ball. Between the changes in bats and the fact that the CWS is played in a pitcher's stadium, it isn't an unreasonable approach.
        You have to get to the College World Series first.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Just watched the introductory press conference. I really like what I am seeing and hearing so far. I am pulling for Coach Todd big time.

I wonder what the question was that HCTB declined to answer (although he said it was a good question)?

I thought it was interesting that HCTB specifically mentioned Mark Standiford. He did say there were several former Shockers that he would at least be contacting regarding his staff although he did not say that his staff will necessarily included former Shockers.

Let's hope the healing can now begin in earnest. There will no doubt be some who simply will turn their backs on the program in sympathy for Gene. Hopefully most will realize that the best way to honor Gene is to continue to maintain and build on his legacy. Even though he is no longer the head man Gene will continue to be part of every win the Shocks have going forward. He has laid the foundation. It is now up to the next generation to be good stewards of that legacy. Shocker baseball is the program that Gene built. Nothing can change that. Let's hope that 20 years now it will be the program that Gene built and Todd sustained.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            I'll go one better. If any SN folks show up I'll buy you an adult beverage or soft drink. How will I know you? You all have a certain look about yea.
            Thanks! See 'ya there...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Hopefully his "small ball" doesn't mean a bunch of slap hitters like we've seen rolling through here over the past few years. I realize the new bats reduce home runs, but I would sure be happy if we could get more guys with gap power.

Comment

I will be there for sure. Kung if you show up I'll buy you an adult beverage afterwards.
                I'd definitely be up for a beverage but unfortunately I have coaching duties to attend to. :)
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I wonder what the question was that HCTB declined to answer (although he said it was a good question)?
                  Jenn Bates tweeted, "Butler would not answer if he had talked to Gene Stephenson and when the face to face interview took place."
                  78-65

Comment

I will be there for sure. Kung if you show up I'll buy you an adult beverage afterwards.
                    I'll go one better. If any SN folks show up I'll buy you an adult beverage or soft drink. How will I know you? You all have a certain look about yea.
                    Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    I'd definitely be up for a beverage but unfortunately I have coaching duties to attend to. :)
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Hahaha
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        You have to get to the College World Series first.
                        Good point. Let's look how that is born out in the stats.

Of the 8 CWS teams this year:

Pitching/Fielding
                        5 of 8 were in the top 10 in the nation in ERA
                        7 of 8 were in the top 20 in the nation in ERA
                        8 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in ERA

2 of 8 were in the top 10 in the nation in Strikeout/Walk Ratio
                        3 of 8 were in the top 20 in the nation in Strikeout/Walk Ratio
                        5 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in Strikeout/Walk Ratio

2 of 8 were in the top 10 in the nation in Fielding %
                        2 of 8 were in the top 20 in the nation in Fielding %
                        3 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in Fielding %

Hitting
                        0 of 8 were in the top 10 in the nation in AVG
                        2 of 8 were in the top 20 in the nation in AVG
                        3 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in AVG

1 of 8 was in the top 10 in the nation in OBP
                        1 of 8 was in the top 20 in the nation in OBP
                        3 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in OBP

0 of 8 were in the top 10 in the nation in HR
                        1 of 8 was in the top 20 in the nation in HR
                        3 of 8 were in the top 30 in the nation in HR
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                          Jenn Bates tweeted, "Butler would not answer if he had talked to Gene Stephenson and when the face to face interview took place."
                          According to the Wichita Eagle write-up of the press conference:

Butler said he’d spoken with Stephenson after he took the job, but didn’t specify what the conversation entailed.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/06/17/285...#storylink=cpy

I don't remember that but by the time I found the KWCH stream of the conference HCTB was already speaking and there were a couple of times during the PC that I lost audio while HCTB was speaking.

Comment

• How do I get a hold of audio and/or video from today's press conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                              Hopefully his "small ball" doesn't mean a bunch of slap hitters like we've seen rolling through here over the past few years. I realize the new bats reduce home runs, but I would sure be happy if we could get more guys with gap power.
                              on sports daily he said he like big guys on the corners (1b, 3B, RF, LF) who are strong enough to get the ball into the gaps.

Comment

• I noticed on Shockernet the mention of a meet-and-greet at the Eck tonight, but did not see it mentioned anywhere in the article today in the paper. I hope this was publicized so a good turn out will take place.

Comment

Working...
                                X