Gene on Gameplan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene on Gameplan

Gene Stephenson was supposed to have been on the GamePlan this morning on KGSO. I didn't get to listen. Did anyone hear it?

Also, I thought they said they were going to interview 1 or 2 former players. I thought they said one was Terry Elliott.

I don't think the archive their shows.

Caught the tail end of Terry Elliott. Basically what I heard was you cant fire a guy who just made the NCAA tournament and people werent going to the games not because of losing but because they were charging $10 to get on the hill and that you couldn't wander around the stadium like you used to.

Personally I have no comment on any that said other than "Ok"

The interview with Gene really wasnt anything groundbreaking or earthshattering. He didnt like how it was handled. He wished someone would have came to him 3 years ago to plan a farewell tour. Glad he could finally say "I would pay to coach this team" Has been contacted by other schools and would welcome coaching again if someone wants him. He also stated that there was no choice given. It was up get up, get out and tell your staff the same.

Comment

They didn't come to him 3 years ago, but did go to him 1.5 years ago and said they would not renew his contract. Also, on the "didn't see it going" he was telling his players all year they had to save his job.

Comment

"he was telling his players all year they had to save his job."

I hope this is not true.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

The thing to do when you find yourself in a hole, is to stop digging.

I guess Gene still doesn't acknowledge the hole.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

I am not sure how to react to Gene's comments that he wished they would have come to him three years ago.

That is some serious lack of awareness, self and otherwise.

Or it is a total defensive dodge. That's probably more likely.

Comment

Gene said he was given two options. Option 1 - He and his staff would be fired and no longer at WSU. Option 2 His staff would be fired and he would be given a title such as Coach Emeritus and allowed to stick around another year but no contact with the team.

He indicated he would have accepted a pay cut and would have coached WSU for nothing. He felt betrayed and embarrassed by the way this all came about. He would have considered a farewell tour for his last remaining season and the opportunity to have input on a replacement coach. He repeated a lot of the same stuff as he did in his public speech. He hopes the best for WSU and WSU baseball, he has given a lot to the baseball program but has been blessed many times over.

Comment

Thanks @engrshock:

The whole part about 'Coach Emeritus" completely slipped my mind. (sorry Im in class and should be paying attenton haha)

Comment

I agree that the statement wishing they had come to him three years ago seems to be trying to get sympathy. When a 5 year contract is pretty standard and helpful for recruiting, not rolling over his contract 4 years ago should have been a wake up call.

Comment

Bottom line is I think this could have been handled much better. Obviously the communication between ADES and Gene does not appear to have been good at all. It is very difficult with what little I know to say who bears primary responsibility for that. My gut tells me that both men probably do. However, I have to assign the bulk of he responsibility for lack of communication to ADES since he is the boss and the guy who eventually controls the way things will be handled. Again this is based on very incomplete knowledge of the actual facts and if I actually new those facts I might come to a different conclusion.

However, for Gene to say he did not see this coming is simply not a credible statement.

I have no real argument for what was done, we have pretty much known this was coming for two years now, and I think it was time to make a change. Could it have been handled better. I believe it could and should have, but I won't go so far as to say this without a doubt. It really makes one wonder what all has gone on behind the scenes over the past few years.

Comment

I don't understand why people keep saying it could have been handled better...It was handled the only way Gene was going to let it happen. Under no condition was he going to retire, not now, not 5 years from now. He said it himself, he wasn't going to quit. That leaves only one option...and from the stories I've heard directly from other coaches in other sports at WSU, there is no working with Gene, it's his way or no way.

Comment

I have no problem whatsoever if Gene and Co. remained with the program. The only problem I had is the amount of money being paid to Gene. I would like to know if ADES ever entertained the idea of having Gene's contract restructured to cut in half his current salary and build in performance bonuses. I doubt we'll ever find out what really occurred behind the scenes however. I do agree he earned the right to go out in style, too bad that didn't happen.

10 years from now, the AD will have a season opening ceremony honoring Gene, presentation of a bronze statue, renaming something, but that will be a little late.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          10 years from now, the AD will have a season opening ceremony honoring Gene, presentation of a bronze statue, renaming something, but that will be a little late.
                          We have related immediate problems right now with this sort of situation. Have you walked around the complex lately and looked at all the stuff with his name or image on it? He's in bronze already in a couple of areas.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                            I have no problem whatsoever if Gene and Co. remained with the program. The only problem I had is the amount of money being paid to Gene. I would like to know if ADES ever entertained the idea of having Gene's contract restructured to cut in half his current salary and build in performance bonuses. I doubt we'll ever find out what really occurred behind the scenes however. I do agree he earned the right to go out in style, too bad that didn't happen.

I personally don't think the restructuring of the contract should have ever been a consideration for Sexton. Never should the AD think that we should be at this level, however, if I reduce the coaches salary I'll accept this lower level.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                              He also stated that there was no choice given. It was up get up, get out and tell your staff the same.
                              I don't believe this for one second. If this was the case, why did he tell the players after his meeting with Sexton and Ayres that his status was still up in the air? Gene's on a sympathy tour and he's coming off bitter and selfish.
                              "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Working...
                              X