No announcement yet.

WSU vs. Arkansas, REGIONAL Game Thread 2 PM CST on ESPN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, GoShockers. I'd have been here mocking sooner, but I had to go out to do an errand and missed the events in question. I jumped in as soon as I saw Royal's post. Seriously, though, he has a point about the sacrifice, which is much loved by many posters, mostly from the anti-Gene crew, and I agree wholeheartedly with him.

As for being annoying, what do you think all the clueless second guessing of every maneuver that doesn't work is, or the "fire Gene because the guys don't make plays" stuff? Calling it annoying and tiresome doesn't nearly do it justice. As Rush likes to say, I'm just equal time. I have to leave the computer now, so you'll be free of me for a while. Enjoy the respite.

By the way, this game illustrates how Arkansas has managed to lose 21 times despite having such great pitching. Stanek has been more than solid, especially in the few tight spots that have arisen, but he's one pitch from disaster unless his teammates can score.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
          Finally Stanek comes out with runner on 1st, 1 out in the 8th. Baker brings the tying run to the plate for the Shox.
          not no more

Comment

Comment

Horrible

Comment

hey watcher - where is all the runs that Arkansas was going to give WSU?

Comment

Comment

Then though the pitching was better today we still gave up 12 hits, just got fortunate that we made a few solid plays defensively to keep it close. The good news is that both Brummett and Gardner are still available out of the bullpen. Bye bye Gene.

Comment

Comment

only 2 shocker hits
                        gave up unearned run
                        base running mistakes
                        bad hitting Arkansas team hit 0.333 against WSU pitching.

kind of the microcosm of the whole Shocker season - close, but not close enough to be a good team.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                          I have no problem with bunting in that situation earlier. Obviously it didn't work out and ended up being the worst decision possible, but I think you can at least make an argument either way.
                          I have no problem at all with bunting two runners into scoring position in that situation. I noticed all the naysayers only complained after the inning was over and they knew the outcome. Brilliant. And it was not even close to be being the worst possible decision (outcome). We ended up with two at bats with runners in scoring postion against a shut-down pitcher in a ball-game we trailed by 2. Mucha hitting into a double or triple-play would have been the worst outcome possible. The decision to bunt did not work out but that was because of the failure of Harbutz and Green to deliver. It was not a horrible decision or even a bad decision. Now if Albert Pujols was coming to the plate then, yeah it would have been a bad decision, but I don't think anyone is confusing Mikel Mucha for Pujols. What we got out of that decision was a positive at bat (moving two runners into scoring position with 1 out and taking the goundball double play out of the equation with our two slowest guys on the bases). If you follow this Shocker team much you know that getting a positive at-bat from one of our hittters in this situation is far from a sure thing.

Unfortunately, no one on this planet knows what would have happened if he had let Mucha hit away. What we do know is that in Mucha's other 3 at bats he grouded out to SS twice and to 1B once. Also, we know that this Shocker team has been notoriously poor in moving runners up successfully this year and in recent years.

I simply don't see Gene's decision to bunt the runners into scoring position as a bad one. Especially since Mucha was actually able to successfully executed the strategy. It didn't work out. However, to assume any other even higher risk, lower probability decision would have worked out is a stretch.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 2, 2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771 View Post
                            Then though the pitching was better today we still gave up 12 hits, just got fortunate that we made a few solid plays defensively to keep it close. The good news is that both Brummett and Gardner are still available out of the bullpen. Bye bye Gene.
                            Your point about Brummett and Gardner is valid. However, we got about as good was we could have expecxted to get out of Ladwig and it is very difficult to imagine that Brummett and Gardner would have done much better. You just aren't going to win many game where you can manage only 2 hits even when one of them is a home run.

The pitching let us down big-time against K-State, but they held up their end today. Unfortunately, it was going to take a shut-out to win today's game and that's a lot to ask especially when your defense spots the opponent a runner to lead off the game.

I'm sure every Shocker fan is disappointed, but I doubt too many are real surprised that the Shocks are 2 and que.

Now some hard decisions need to be made regarding the future direction of the program. Hopefully, those will be made thoughtfully and successfully.

Comment

Interesting tidbit from the eagles recap of the game.

"Stanek, who considered WSU before signing with Arkansas..."
                              "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
                                Interesting tidbit from the eagles recap of the game.

"Stanek, who considered WSU before signing with Arkansas..."
                                Yeah, Kennedy was saying the Shocks were in Stanek's final three and, in fact, Mike thought it had come down to Arkansas and Wichita State. He's definitely a stud.

Arkansas' CF Matt Vinson also verballed to the Shocks before decomitting and going with Arkansas, although he probably wasn't that big of a loss.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 1, 2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X