Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the NCAA justify K-State as a regional FACILITY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the NCAA justify K-State as a regional FACILITY?

Long time lurker, don't really post, but this has perplexed me and I haven't seen it addressed elsewhere. The KSU baseball facility seems totally undersized to host an NCAA regional, with a stated capacity of 2300 seats. I picked a smattering of other facilities in the region for comparison, with the numbers just picked up off the internet:
    KU 2500 next smallest I could find
    OU 3200 but has used the Brickyard for a regional in the past
    TCU 4500 smallest Big 12 school by enrollment
    WSU 7800
    Arkansas 10,700

All Session tickets are sold out, as are GA tickets. They're now selling SRO tickets.

BTW, WSU allotment of tickets was 200, and that includes tickets for team members family and friends, and WSU administration. Maybe 50 seats available for sale to fans.

I wondered how the 6500 season ticket holders at Arkansas are feeling about K-State hosting?

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I think if a team earns a top seed, they should get to host. I don't think Arkansas is entitled to host just because we have a nice big stadium.

I wish more teams would build nice facilities with plenty of seats. I wish more people went to college baseball games across the country. I wish teams wouldn't put fake dirt on their field. But I don't think any of that should determine who gets to host a regional. If a team earns it, they should get the prize.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGuy View Post
        Long time lurker, don't really post, but this has perplexed me and I haven't seen it addressed elsewhere. The KSU baseball facility seems totally undersized to host an NCAA regional, with a stated capacity of 2300 seats. I picked a smattering of other facilities in the region for comparison, with the numbers just picked up off the internet:
        KU 2500 next smallest I could find
        OU 3200 but has used the Brickyard for a regional in the past
        TCU 4500 smallest Big 12 school by enrollment
        WSU 7800
        Arkansas 10,700

All Session tickets are sold out, as are GA tickets. They're now selling SRO tickets.

BTW, WSU allotment of tickets was 200, and that includes tickets for team members family and friends, and WSU administration. Maybe 50 seats available for sale to fans.

I wondered how the 6500 season ticket holders at Arkansas are feeling about K-State hosting?
        It gets worse. The team doesn't even get to stay in Manhattan. Junction City will be the Shocks home.

And if you're one of the lucky few that are going to get tickets through WSU, they will only be for WSU games. No others.

I am curious how many tickets were fairly available to all fans. If KSU season ticket holders had first shot, that's probably 750 or so. After that, the 200 for WSU, that's 950, round to 1k, leaving about 2k for folks to buy online, IF it was a fair fight, so to speak. And if it was, I have to think those 2k are roughly evenly divided between WSU, KSU and Arkansas fans.

We'll see.

And our 200 better not be in the added bleachers.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Will the GA seats actually be benchback? Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

And our 200 better not be in the added bleachers.

The 200 tickets to the participating schools must be between the bases. I know this because my season tickets at Baum are on the first base line and I get bumped every. single. time. we. host.

I know, I know...#firstworldproblems

Comment

Did they earn a top seed, CharlieHog? Seems like Arkansas would have a legitimate gripe vis-a-vis KSU.
                Regardless, there seems to be a precendent in basketball in considering the facility in awarding regional sites.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerGuy View Post
                  Did they earn a top seed, CharlieHog? Seems like Arkansas would have a legitimate gripe vis-a-vis KSU.
                  Regardless, there seems to be a precendent in basketball in considering the facility in awarding regional sites.

I think Arkansas has a gripe, but over Miss State and South Carolina, based on conference finish. Arkansas was a bubble team though, and I don't think there is much room for complaint when you play a bad non-conference schedule and then lose games to the bad non-conference teams you do play.

Basketball regionals are, of course, "neutral" sites.

Comment

When they expanded the field to 64, they great reduced the minimum standards needed to host. Now basically if you earn a number 1 seed you get to host, unless you just don't meet those very minimum standards.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog View Post
                      I think Arkansas has a gripe, but over Miss State and South Carolina, based on conference finish. Arkansas was a bubble team though, and I don't think there is much room for complaint when you play a bad non-conference schedule and then lose games to the bad non-conference teams you do play.

Basketball regionals are, of course, "neutral" sites.
                      "Neutral" indeed.....

Comment

Is there a bigger facility in Salina or Topeka? I still vote that a WSU - Arkansas game, if it happens, be moved to The Eck. We can get 8k in there.

Comment

There is nothing bigger in Topeka. The two largest seat 2,000 or so I think.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            There is nothing bigger in Topeka. The two largest seat 2,000 or so I think.
                            At least in Topeka, there would be enough hotels to accommodate a regional, instead of having to put at least 1 of your teams in a hotel 30 miles away.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Good thing WSU won't have to worry about staying in JC too long. They will be back in Wichita by dinner time tomorrow. I love it when WSU fans over value their baseball program and their stadium. The fact is KSU has bypassed WSU. Good players don't care to play in the Mo. Valley if they can play at a higher level. The 80's and 90's are WAY in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X