Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Bill Snyder never appeared in Manhattan, the 'Cats would have dropped football...either completely or at least to a lower level, and Manhattan would be just another Cedar Falls, Carbondale, or Springfield.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
      Does anyone know how many of K-State's runs were a direct result of either walks or hit-by-pitches?
      Officially, all 20 runs were earned, but you have be one of those creative kitty counters to believe that surface score.

Let's look deeper.

First inning. Single, single to short which was an error (a tough error but an error. KSU made the same play essentially later in the game) strikeout, walk. So it's 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

Walk. Now it's loaded. Single and it's 2-2, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Wild pitch. 2nd and 3rd taking away any force. Infield single which in reality was another miscue. Now if it's 1st and 2nd who knows what happens. Maybe he goes yard. Maybe he hits the same thing and it's a simple 1-4-3 DP and we're out of the inning tied at 2.

But, that didn't happen. So it's 3-2 now and it's 1st and 3rd and only 1 out. An error scores another run. Then a hit by pitch on a full count. 1st and 2nd. Double steal caught us napping, again, taking away the force.

Pop out. 2 down and it's 4-2. Still very much in the game. But a single scores 2, and a throwing error ensues and he goes to 2nd on a throw that never had a chance to get the runner. 6-2.

Single. 1st and 3rd, 2 outs and it's 7-2. HPB loads 'em. Walk scores another. Walk scores ANOTHER and it's 9-2.

And that's just the first inning. There were 9 walks, 2 wild pitches, a balk (which scored a run and it wasn't because he was trying to pick off the runner) 6 HBPs.....1 real error. About 12 not counted errors. Etc etc

Comment

• Originally posted by hanvalen View Post
        This thread is LOL. As a fellow Shocker Alum (class of 2009, baby!), I can only hope my pops (class of 1976), other alumni family members (too many to count, including a brother currently attending), or any other classmates of mine aren't the ones that post on this board, because frankly, it makes WSU fans look like a bunch of a-holes, and I'd be a little embarrassed for them. No respect for anybody in any sport, and it gets a little old, and it is extremely petty. Set up a pay board where you can disrespect and make up cute little nicknames for every other school in the country if you want to show that side of WSU fandom, but otherwise, expect to have people come over here all the time and enjoy the schadenfraude that this thread so richly deserved. And spare me the "we're just giving back what other people come over here and give" stuff. It isn't true and you know it. Again, get a pay board, or deal with the disrespect you brought on yourselves.
        Originally posted by hanvalen View Post
        And also, spare me the "YOU'VE ONLY GOT ONE POST" line. I've never, ever felt the need to post on anything because I don't live on message boards, hence, a new account. It is possible to read threads for years and years and actually talk to other fans without message boards, hence, the single (and now second) post.
        I don't go to fan message boards of other universities sports teams in search of respect, and you shouldn't either.

What you see here on ShockerNet is the very definition of being a FANatic. ShockerNet exists for the sole purpose of allowing Wichita State University WheatShocker FANatics a place to express their Wichita State University WheatShocker FANatical opinions. As a Wichita State University WheatShocker FANatic, I am of the opinion, my WheatShocker teams are the best teams in the universe, and all non-WheatShocker teams SUCK. I am also of the opinion that all WheatShocker FANatics are the best FANatics in the universe, and all non-WheatShocker fans can GO POUND SAND. This is how it is on all sports teams fan message boards (if they have a passionate FANatical base). It is as it should be.

P.S. Since I'm still pissed over your High and Mighty, Better Than Thou Attitude. Go start your own damn pay board. Maybe you can get a bunch of MildCat and ChickenHawk lovers like yourself to join. Then you can all sit around stroking each other while you talk about how ShockerNet members are a bunch of petty a-holes.
        Last edited by ripemupshocks; June 1, 2013, 09:22 AM.
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Officially, all 20 runs were earned, but you have be one of those creative kitty counters to believe that surface score.

Let's look deeper.

First inning. Single, single to short which was an error (a tough error but an error. KSU made the same play essentially later in the game) strikeout, walk. So it's 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

Walk. Now it's loaded. Single and it's 2-2, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Wild pitch. 2nd and 3rd taking away any force. Infield single which in reality was another miscue. Now if it's 1st and 2nd who knows what happens. Maybe he goes yard. Maybe he hits the same thing and it's a simple 1-4-3 DP and we're out of the inning tied at 2.

But, that didn't happen. So it's 3-2 now and it's 1st and 3rd and only 1 out. An error scores another run. Then a hit by pitch on a full count. 1st and 2nd. Double steal caught us napping, again, taking away the force.

Pop out. 2 down and it's 4-2. Still very much in the game. But a single scores 2, and a throwing error ensues and he goes to 2nd on a throw that never had a chance to get the runner. 6-2.

Single. 1st and 3rd, 2 outs and it's 7-2. HPB loads 'em. Walk scores another. Walk scores ANOTHER and it's 9-2.

And that's just the first inning. There were 9 walks, 2 wild pitches, a balk (which scored a run and it wasn't because he was trying to pick off the runner) 6 HBPs.....1 real error. About 12 not counted errors. Etc etc
          Thanks (I think) for the recap, Doc. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't go to Manhattan to see it -- sorry you did. Sounds like a real Twilight Zone experience.

But the good news is that it's only one loss, and it doesn't count for any more than what was surely the much more frustrating one Arkansas suffered later in the day. Hopefully the guys took good long showers after the game and washed away everything but the memory of what was actually a perfectly respectable performance on offense. They'll be facing a tough customer today, but they're capable of winning assuming the pitching -- and defense -- regain their poise. This regional may not look promising right now, but it isn't over till it's over.
          Last edited by WSUwatcher; June 1, 2013, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• I think Bryant goes on a Stoney Brook type run. They got the right Regional, and have the pitchers to win a Super.

Comment

• Hey, if the Shocks can't win, I'll root for the Bear's team.

Oh, wait. They're from Rhode Island, not Alabama? What the hell -- I'll root for 'em anyway. Sic 'em, Bulldogs!

Comment

• any link to their game?

Comment

• how many players on the KSU team where recruited by WSU and lost to KSU?

Comment

• I was hoping WSU was the team to go on a run like Fresno State did a few years back. Still can I suppose. But we need to fire Gene no matter what! =):banghead:

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Saw your comment about Coy being thrown out in the first inning, Doc. It may indeed have been a bad decision -- you were there and I wasn't -- but it's the same way Gene has coached along the third base line his whole career. He's aggressive, maybe even hyper-aggressive, and that isn't going to change.
                      I have no quarrel with your defense of Coach Stephenson relative to a firing, but there is zero defense for sending Coy home....other than a heart attack.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by hanvalen View Post
                        This thread is LOL. As a fellow Shocker Alum (class of 2009, baby!), I can only hope my pops (class of 1976), other alumni family members (too many to count, including a brother currently attending), or any other classmates of mine aren't the ones that post on this board, because frankly, it makes WSU fans look like a bunch of a-holes, and I'd be a little embarrassed for them. No respect for anybody in any sport, and it gets a little old, and it is extremely petty. Set up a pay board where you can disrespect and make up cute little nicknames for every other school in the country if you want to show that side of WSU fandom, but otherwise, expect to have people come over here all the time and enjoy the schadenfraude that this thread so richly deserved. And spare me the "we're just giving back what other people come over here and give" stuff. It isn't true and you know it. Again, get a pay board, or deal with the disrespect you brought on yourselves.
                        I imagine you voted for Nobama.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          how many players on the KSU team where recruited by WSU and lost to KSU?
                          Great question. Here is the K-State roster: http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m...asebl-mtt.html

I would guess there aren't many folks on the KSU roster that WSU recruited, primarily b/c Gene and company simply don't venture to parts of the country where KSU players originate. And that is not necessarily a good thing.

I count six Kansans, and two of those are from Manhattan. I see only one Oklahoman.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            how many players on the KSU team where recruited by WSU and lost to KSU?
                            Originally posted by ABC View Post
                            Great question. Here is the K-State roster: http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m...asebl-mtt.html

I would guess there aren't many folks on the KSU roster that WSU recruited, primarily b/c Gene and company simply don't venture to parts of the country where KSU players originate. And that is not necessarily a good thing.

I count six Kansans, and two of those are from Manhattan. I see only one Oklahoman.
                            I would agree with @ABC:. Of their 9 top position players, 4 starting pitchers and top 2 relievers (15 total), I'd say 11 are from outside the Shockers normal recruiting areas, 3 from NE KS, and 1 from Valley Center. And here in lies part of the problem. Coaching staffs are going farther than close to home (Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado) in being able to get the level of players needed to be successful.

Comment

• It seems to me that we (K-State) are getting more and more success in Big 10 country. It was already starting to work for us and now with Nebraska in the Big 10, the trend seems to be accelerating. We have 2 from Ohio, 5 from Illinois, 1 from Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota and Iowa. I talked to several of the recruits Parents last night and the Big 12 is more appealing than the Big 10 due primarily too weather but they like they are also enjoying the whole title town theme right now.

I would be careful on the Fire Gene theme. I understand that you guys want a coach that will get Regionals every year but realize you are just as likely to go backwards as forwards when you move beyond Gene.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewVonLintel View Post

I would be careful on the Fire Gene theme. I understand that you guys want a coach that will get Regionals every year but realize you are just as likely to go backwards as forwards when you move beyond Gene.
                                Why? WSU plays in the MVC and the MVC doesn't care about baseball and don't even try as conference. WSU should win by default.

Comment

Working...
                                X