X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024-25 Off-Season/Fall Ball Discussion and News

RH: Podcast With Baseball Coach Brian Green

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State baseball coach Brian Green walks fans through some of the top newcomers, outfielder Jaden Gustafson's strong summer and how the team's style of play will look different in his second season.

We talk about the return of Grant Adler and Jace Miner, both all-conference picks in 2023, and how those additions might shape the pitching rotation. We also discuss how the Wheat Shock Collective and NIL money helps build the roster in a sport with partial scholarships.

Green is entering his second year as baseball coach at Wichita State. His busy summer has included camps, lots of recruiting, handing out hot dogs at the NBC World Series from his RV and much more.​

Very nice, and well deserved, tip of the cap to Caden Favors and what he did for the team this spring.

Comment

As to pitching, HCBG said point blank he expects Miner and Adler to be weekend starters. Also mentioned Hamilton and Dobbs in basically the same breath.

Talked about moving Jordo back to the outfield with new guys like Jordan Black and Eric Fernandez transferring in. Also seemed excited about other transfers like Washburn, Mauzy and Duncan.

Talked up Gus a lot.

A little surprised he didn't comment on the kid from Siena.

Hopes to go to Nebraska and have DBU come here in the fall.

Newcomers to watch...Hunter Carlson, Mauzy, Fernandez, Black, Washburn, Duncan. Also hinted at 2 more arms coming in he can't comment on yet. Guys with velocity. Interesting.

Also mentioned the bargain WSU is when combining NIL, Alston, cost of living etc that WSU is great place to be.

Suggested Pineapple Express by Scott Mann.

Comment

Very good summary WuDrWu

Comment

I liked coach's comment when asked why he enjoys fan interaction. Coach Green said he thinks this is the job. Apparently Gene and Brent let him know that if you want to win in Wichita you need to get out in the community and that's right up his alley.

I am a little concerned about how crowded the position player roster seems to be. While it's great to have the competition in practice and a deep roster it also makes maintaining your team chemistry a bit tougher.

image.png

He said Lt. Col. Mann talked with the team last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            I liked coach's comment when asked why he enjoys fan interaction. Coach Green said he thinks this is the job. Apparently Gene and Brent let him know that if you want to win in Wichita you need to get out in the community and that's right up his alley.

I am a little concerned about how crowded the position player roster seems to be. While it's great to have the competition in practice and a deep roster it also makes maintaining your team chemistry a bit tougher.

image.png

He said Lt. Col. Mann talked with the team last year.
            This right here is exactly why Isaac Brown and Todd Butler both failed here. Don’t get me wrong. Both were good men who you’d love to have as a neighbor. But in their line of work, you pretty much have to be active and engaging in the community, particularly with big-money people.

78-65

Comment

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

So are Carson Beavers and Melvin Blocker the only two Freshmen we have at WSU this year?

Comment

Update from Taylor regarding the roster. I'm sure the puzzle pieces will start to fall in place. HCBG said 48 were here for the fall.

One name I hadn't heard is Owen Reynolds. Senior transfer from ORU who attended Goddard Eisenhower. 9+ ERA and nearly 2 WHIP in 16 appearances last season so probably not expecting much from him.

Taylor did mention 8 freshman which I believe is the same number I have coming in (true HS incoming freshmen).

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                      So are Carson Beavers and Melvin Blocker the only two Freshmen we have at WSU this year?
                      There are six other freshmen according to Taylor's article.

James Umbarger & Nate Langbehn are two pitchers I am confident are here. Hunter Carlson is a freshman catcher.

Charlie Anderson, Brock Lulewicz, and I believe Anthony Alvarez round out the freshmen class. Charlie and Anthony I'm a tad iffy on until I see them at Nebraska.

Comment

There are still a couple of questions, so my list may not be completely accurate.

Parker Morris and Nico Rodriguez are 2 other names that were committed at one time to WSU, so I guess I really don't know. I've listed 10 names and according to that article, only 8 are here. I certainly hope James and Nate are 2 of the 6 unknown (assuming Beavers and Blocker are here from the article).
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; August 28, 2024, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Cool video, but what does it mean? Is that the new wheat woody?
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X