WSU at Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The "solve" is moving the season back 2 weeks, NO February games, then we could have played Charlotte just one day up on R, F, S then MemphEx on W, R, F and be off Saturday, Sunday, Monday for a Tuesday start. Not perfect, but a lot better and with school out, a lot easier for travel etc.

Also, since they upped the roster to 40, it seems to make sense to this fan to increase the roster for games to say 30 (currently 27 for AAC road play AND NCAA postseason). If they REALLY care about the student athlete, this would seem to make sense.

I was wondering what the roster numbers were for post-season. Thanks! What is your best guess that will look like? If you were HC, who would you take to Clearwater? Also, in the wildest chances they move on, does it have to be the same 27 players?

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

I was wondering what the roster numbers were for post-season. Thanks! What is your best guess that will look like? If you were HC, who would you take to Clearwater? Also, in the wildest chances they move on, does it have to be the same 27 players?
      IIRC, you can reset your roster at each stage of the postseason. But lets be honest, we're all a little rusty on those rules....

Comment

Lol
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Here's the 27 I'd roll with:

I think any chance of winning the tourney involves Zang randomly finding it and tea-bagging some unsuspecting team for 11 Ks over 5+ innings. Do I think there's a snowball's chance in Hades of that happening? No. But I think it's the only path to a regional.

1Haworth
          2Rogers
          3Williams
          4Johnson,D
          5Durnin
          6Millan
          7Snyder
          8Stroh
          9Johnson,C

10LaPour
          11Favors
          12Hamilton
          13Holmes
          14Anderson
          15Adler
          16Dobbs
          17Iverson
          18Mount
          19Walters
          20Zang (YOLO!!)
          21Munz
          22Arnett

23Callahan (1B Platoon)
          24Birge (backup C)
          25Livingston (PH Dinger Guy)
          26Gustafson (OF Platoon)
          27Parker Jr. (backup INF)
          Last edited by Cdizzle; May 14, 2024, 08:53 AM. Reason: edit: realizing this should probably go in some other thread. that's a shame.

Comment

We can take different kids to Memphis than we can to Clearwater, and then different to the NCAA. I'm not sure if you can change rosters from week to week once the NCAA tourney begins (probably won't spend the time researching that one unless needed).

We have 43 on our current goshockers.com roster. Easier to select the guys that probably don't make the travel list.

Pantier and Fettinger have already announced their intent to transfer. That's 41. Sammy Harris, Ben Leikam & AJ Rassmussen don't have numbers and haven't seen the field all season. That's 38. 11 to go. Colton Vercoe and Jake Rice haven't played. 9 to go. Michael Mulhollon is injured. 8 to go. Lane Bledsoe, Trevor Lee. 6 to go. Gavin Oswald (although I thought he could help in the fall and perhaps in a meaningless MemphEx game one way or the other, but the size of the roster just doesn't support this selection). 5 to go. Now it starts getting tough. Wilky and Zayas have just struggled when given opportunities. 3 to go. You need pitching worse than hitting. Probably has to be 2 position players and 1 pitcher. I'd probably pick 1 position player and 2 pitchers to stay back. I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

Guessing the last 3 will be some combination of Brayden Luikart, Will Stark, Jeremiah Arnett, Peyton Walters & Ryan Geraghty. And I like all those kids and their upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
              Here's the 27 I'd roll with:

I think any chance of winning the tourney involves Zang randomly finding it and tea-bagging some unsuspecting team for 11 Ks over 5+ innings. Do I think there's a snowball's chance in Hades of that happening? No. But I think it's the only path to a regional.

1Haworth
              2Rogers
              3Williams
              4Johnson,D
              5Durnin
              6Millan
              7Snyder
              8Stroh
              9Johnson,C

10LaPour
              11Favors
              12Hamilton
              13Holmes
              14Anderson
              15Adler
              16Dobbs
              17Iverson
              18Mount
              19Walters
              20Zang (YOLO!!)
              21Munz
              22Arnett

23Callahan (1B Platoon)
              24Birge (backup C)
              25Livingston (PH Dinger Guy)
              26Gustafson (OF Platoon)
              27Parker Jr. (backup INF)
              I think Logan Kreske has to travel. You have to have a bullpen catcher.

Comment

If you don't appreciate HCBG already, this will likely boost how you feel about our new coach.

I listened twice (because I didn't think I was paying attention the first time) and I don't think I could tell you one meaningful thing about a Memphis player or their team or this matchup. The most insightful comment (I think) was that we can hit a little and score some runs and I think we swept Charlotte last week.

They have 11 seniors listed on their roster. They'll probably be ready to compete on senior weekend.

Comment

I'm not on any pro or con HCBG trains right now, but I'll also choose not to set the comparison bar at 'disinterested coach of last place team whose season ended 9 months ago'

Oh and suck it Memphis

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    https://twitter.com/MemphisBaseball/...08523570856071

If you don't appreciate HCBG already, this will likely boost how you feel about our new coach.

Comment

RH: Podcast With Kam Durnin On Shocker Baseball

Listen to the podcast

Wichita State freshman shortstop Kam Durnin stops in to talk about the Shockers on a five-game win streak as post-season play approaches. We discuss his background as a multi-sport athlete and how he became a kicker for his high school football team. He describes growing up in a family with two brothers close in age and how those competitions shaped his athletic career.

We also talk about how a hand injury set him back in the fall and how he maintained a positive attitude when he returned in the spring. We wrap up by breaking down best singers, best dressers and hardest workers in the Shocker locker room.

The Shockers are 27-26, 13-11 in the American Athletic Conference and on a five-game win streak. They finish the regular season with a series at Memphis starting Thursday before heading to Clearwater, Fla., for the AAC tournament. The Shockers are tied with Tulane for third in the AAC.​

Comment

With no midweek games I'm having withdrawals.

Comment

Muck Femphis and that's all I have to say about that.

Comment

Sakes mense to me.

Comment

Looking at the latest weather reports, I don't know how we're going to get in 3 games unless they announce in the next few minutes a DH starting at 3 today. Rain is expected to move in around 3am tonight and linger until midday Saturday.

And I doubt we're going to be interested in playing a DH on Saturday. I can't imagine a worse way to go into Clearwater than burning half your staff 3 days prior. I think I'd throw Tommy tonight, on a tight pitch count (around 50) and then bring in Caden for another bullpen work around 50 pitches. If by some grace Tommy would be done and we're sitting on a big league, I'd be tempted to shut Caden down all the way, keeping him fresh for Tuesday.

Also now, with Charlotte and Tulane playing a DH today, that gives them both a leg up on the competition in Clearwater. They won't throw anyone Saturday and might even be done today. That's a big advantage over a team that might have to play 2 on Saturday.
                              Last edited by WuDrWu; May 16, 2024, 12:08 PM.

Comment

What is worst case seed if we win zero of one, two, or three? We are a mortal lock for the tourney now, just a matter of seed? Or not even a mortal lock?

Comment

Working...
                                X