RPI
    ---
    WSU: 114
    Memphis: 181​

ELO
    ---
    WSU: 128
    Memphis: 117
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

HUGE bump.

Comment

Favors goes Friday no matter what, right? Give him the most rest possible for the tourney? Then LaPour for the same reason on Thursday? Force Memphis to chase us and not the other way around?

I'm not sure we're good enough to fool around and try to not put our best foot forward every single game, hoping to get some better matchup in the tournament. But these decisions are waaay beyond my tiny brain's ability to calculate. Someone set me straight as to what the starting pitching lineup is likely to look like, and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Favors goes Friday no matter what, right? Give him the most rest possible for the tourney? Then LaPour for the same reason on Thursday? Force Memphis to chase us and not the other way around?

I'm not sure we're good enough to fool around and try to not put our best foot forward every single game, hoping to get some better matchup in the tournament. But these decisions are waaay beyond my tiny brain's ability to calculate. Someone set me straight as to what the starting pitching lineup is likely to look like, and why.
        Lately we have been going LaPour, Favors and Hamilton/Dobbs. They might change this up vs Memphis and go Favors, LaPour, Hamilton/Dobbs if they want Favors leading off the AAC Tournament which starts on Tuesday next week.

Of course, job #1 at this point is to take care of business in Memphis.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2024, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Need to finish off Memphis like we did in basketball.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Lately we have been going LaPour, Favors and Hamilton/Dobbs. They might change this up and go Favors, LaPour, Hamilton/Dobbs if they want Favors leading off the AAC Tournament which starts on Tuesday next week.

Of course, job #1 at this point is to take care of business in Memphis.
            Yeah, I realize LaPour has been going first the last few series, but I assumed that was trying to get some specific matchup with the other team? Favors is still our el numero uno, badass mofo pitcher extraordinaire, so maybe time to make the other teams chase him?

Anyway here are some cool stats ...

Favors is tied for 3rd in the country in innings pitched at 90.1.

Favors is tied for No 23 in the country in strikeouts at 94. Nobody else breaks into the top 150 there.

Favors is tied for No 23 in the country in strikes-to-walks ratio at 5.22. Nobody else breaks into the top 150 there.

Favors is No. 80in the country for walks allowed per nine innings at 1.70. Nobody else breaks into the top 150 there.

Favors' ERA at 3.38 is good for No 81 in the country. Nobody else breaks into the top 200 there.

Favors' WHIP at 1.17 is good for No 90ish in the country. Nobody else breaks into the top 150 there.

Adler is tied for No 60 in the country in saves at 6.
            Last edited by Kung Wu; May 13, 2024, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Need to finish off Memphis like we did in basketball.

Comment

Literally nothing would surprise me with our rotation this weekend.

I think we can take different kids to MemphEx and Florida. I could see us using guys that aren't going to pitch in Florida while we're in MemphEx.

I think 1 win for us locks us into the 2, 3 or 4 seed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Caden and Tommy on Thursday, maybe each on a low pitch count. Kind of like a bullpen outing. That way they would both be about as fresh as a possible for either a Tues/Wed or Tues/Thurs Clearwater schedule.

Weather Friday looks like a lot of rain. Not sure how much they'll want to play a Saturday DH. To me at least, assuming they don't schedule a DH on Thursday (might not be a terrible thing) that puts a slightly bigger premium on winning that 1st game, and maybe pitching Tommy and Caden. Mostly just thinking out loud I guess.

Comment

Damn my post above with the rankings wigged out. Vbulletin replaced my numbers with random links. Strange!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Literally nothing would surprise me with our rotation this weekend.

I think we can take different kids to MemphEx and Florida. I could see us using guys that aren't going to pitch in Florida while we're in MemphEx.

I think 1 win for us locks us into the 2, 3 or 4 seed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Caden and Tommy on Thursday, maybe each on a low pitch count. Kind of like a bullpen outing. That way they would both be about as fresh as a possible for either a Tues/Wed or Tues/Thurs Clearwater schedule.

Weather Friday looks like a lot of rain. Not sure how much they'll want to play a Saturday DH. To me at least, assuming they don't schedule a DH on Thursday (might not be a terrible thing) that puts a slightly bigger premium on winning that 1st game, and maybe pitching Tommy and Caden. Mostly just thinking out loud I guess.
                    Ah so if we have locked in a 2 thru 4 seed with only one win, then Memphis isn't nearly as important as I thought!

Comment

I maintain that baseball conference tournaments are impossible enough for pitching staffs, but throwing in playing regular season deciding series with a Sat/Tues turnaround, and it's just plain dumb.

No, I don't have a solve. But I don't think this setup is conducive to good baseball either the final weekend or at the tourney.

Comment

Ah so if we have locked in a 2 thru 4 seed with only one win, then Memphis isn't nearly as important as I thought!
                        You thought Memphis was important??

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I maintain that baseball conference tournaments are impossible enough for pitching staffs, but throwing in playing regular season deciding series with a Sat/Tues turnaround, and it's just plain dumb.

No, I don't have a solve. But I don't think this setup is conducive to good baseball either the final weekend or at the tourney.
                          The "solve" is moving the season back 2 weeks, NO February games, then we could have played Charlotte just one day up on R, F, S then MemphEx on W, R, F and be off Saturday, Sunday, Monday for a Tuesday start. Not perfect, but a lot better and with school out, a lot easier for travel etc.

Also, since they upped the roster to 40, it seems to make sense to this fan to increase the roster for games to say 30 (currently 27 for AAC road play AND NCAA postseason). If they REALLY care about the student athlete, this would seem to make sense.

Comment

2-3 is a much better spot than 4 IMO.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

You thought Memphis was important??
                              For seeding, yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X