WSU vs Florida Atlantic (Apr 12 - 14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

There is a running joke that the 9u coach who yells throw strikes is a moron. Its even worse when a D! coach does it. Watching from the outside yes, why can't these guys jut throw strikes? When your not confident that's why. Here is Matt Wilkinson stats last year and this season.
    image.png
    3.50 1 1 18 0 0 0 0 18.0 14 10 7 8 17 4 0 1 78 .226 3 3 0 3 2
    16.20 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 3.1 6 7 6 8 3 4 0 0 23 .400 2 0 0 0 0
    image.png​​

I know it all too well, I used to pitch in my heyday and sometimes you just can't find the plate. Unfortunately, long before we knew about icing and downtime, I pitched practically every game as a youngster and have paid the price. No 'Tommy John' surgery back in the day.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Do you think anything was solved this weekend? We did win a series against an ok team to right the ship but did anything with us change? Our pitching continues to be a serious problem IMO and if it weren’t for some timely HRs we could’ve been staring at an 8 game losing streak.

Just took a quick peek at our RPI for the first time in a while and wow, it dropped all the way to 109. That was about a 50 spot drop in a week.

With the top 2 contenders still on our schedule and the bottom 2 garbage already in the books, I think we’re looking squarely at a mid to low mid finish, which is probably what was expected going into the year. Just an interesting and disappointing way of getting there.
      The only thing I think that was "solved" this weekend is that we're in a better place mentally. Not wearing the burden of a long losing streak.

We pretty clearly have a top 3 pitching staff (in conference). The problem is we're not front loaded like so many others are. When you get into the pen past 1 or 2, most teams (other than ECU, FAU and us) fall off bigly.

I hear you about timely HRs, but if John Schroeder doesn't have a career weekend with multiple HRs and other big hits and their CF doesn't make 5+ super plays, that's maybe 3 blowouts for us too. It does cut both ways.

Next 3 weeks will determine a lot. Brutal stretch of 13 games in 19 days starting Wednesday. 12 of 13 are vs RPI 114 or better, 9 top 100, 5 of those vs RPI top 25. All 9 of the top 100 are on the road. To be honest, if we come out of this stretch over .500 on the season (21-16 now, 5-8 or better and that's exceeding expectations in my book) that's a win.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Next 3 weeks will determine a lot. Brutal stretch of 13 games in 19 days starting Wednesday. 12 of 13 are vs RPI 114 or better, 9 top 100, 5 of those vs RPI top 25. All 9 of the top 100 are on the road. To be honest, if we come out of this stretch over .500 on the season (21-16 now, that would mean it takes 5-8 or better and that's exceeding expectations in my book) that's a win.
        This stretch is so hard that if somehow these guys went 11-2 then they are probably back in the at large discussion (likely outside looking in, but in the discussion). Now, don't misunderstand me.....11-2 is so unlikely it's not even funny. I'm just stating how hard the stretch is over the next 3 weeks. Shoot, 6-3 in the 9 conference games would have me jumping for joy, no matter what the combination was to get there.

To take this in an entirely different direction, I would like to see Zang get the start vs ORU. We NEED him. Give him a clean slate and see what happens. Zang's A game makes us an absolute threat in Clearwater and frankly, the 2nd best team in the conference for me.
        Last edited by WuDrWu; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

There is a running joke that the 9u coach who yells throw strikes is a moron. Its even worse when a D! coach does it. Watching from the outside yes, why can't these guys jut throw strikes? When your not confident that's why. Here is Matt Wilkinson stats last year and this season.
          image.png
          3.50 1 1 18 0 0 0 0 18.0 14 10 7 8 17 4 0 1 78 .226 3 3 0 3 2
          16.20 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 3.1 6 7 6 8 3 4 0 0 23 .400 2 0 0 0 0
          image.png​​

I don't know what point you are trying to make. It's not as if Wilky was a long guy last season. Mostly 1 inning, many times 1 or 2 batters only. He wasn't nearly as effective later in the season (and two of his late season appearances were 2 inning outings where he struggled). I'll buy he's more talented than his results this season. No doubt about it. But if it's only about confidence, he lost that last season.

Comment

Here is Matt Wilkinson stats last year and this season.
            I think Wilkinson just has the yips? He was struggling in the preseason scrimmage too, which I found odd.

If all pitchers were going backward, maybe you could say it's a confidence issue being caused by coaching decisions, but Favors is much improved over last year, and Adler has shown a massive improvement. I don't think Wilkinson's issue is a coaching issue.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Seth is experienced. He runs well, plays right very well, has the best arm on the team and murders the ball when he makes contact. Yes, he struggles with off speed stuff and doesn't hit for a high enough average. He's played in 30 of 37 games but only started 22 of those yet still leads the team in RBI. Also strike outs. I think you just have to roll with him and live with the negatives. But he's one of the few on the team that a regular swing goes to the wall most places.
              I would like nothing more than to see Seth get on a roll as the weather warms up over the final month and a half of his Schocker career. I suppose considering he is finishing up his career and not a lot has changed with him in his years as a Shocker this is probably wishful thinking. But hope is a good thing although often left crushed and broken.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I think Wilkinson just has the yips? He was struggling in the preseason scrimmage too, which I found odd.

If all pitchers were going backward, maybe you could say it's a confidence issue being caused by coaching decisions, but Favors is much improved over last year, and Adler has shown a massive improvement. I don't think Wilkinson's issue is a coaching issue.
                Pitching yips can be contagious...

Comment

• hahaha

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I would like nothing more than to see Seth get on a roll as the weather warms up over the final month and a half of his Schocker career. I suppose considering he is finishing up his career and not a lot has changed with him in his years as a Shocker this is probably wishful thinking. But hope is a good thing although often left crushed and broken.

I especially liked the bunt for a single after his previous at bat HOME RUN. Go Shocks

Comment

• Baseball has all kinds of unusual stats and odd combinations. Some more infrequent than others. A guy that hits a home run then lays down a bunt for a hit in the same game does not happen every day.

Comment

Baseball has all kinds of unusual stats and odd combinations. Some more infrequent than others. A guy that hits a home run then lays down a bunt for a hit in the same game does not happen every day.
                        Seth’s an enigma. He’s like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. He could be a big star and a high draft choice, but lacks consistency. Too much feast or famine. He’s ‘built’ to be great; size, speed, glove, arm… his hitting must improve if he hopes to have any success at the next level.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                          Seth’s an enigma.
                          Stroh has his valleys for sure, but man those peaks. He has practically single-handedly won like 4 games for us. That's almost 20% of our wins. And he has exactly 0 errors in 34 games he's played in, so it's not like he's causing us to lose on the flip side.

I don't know anything about pro baseball, but I would imagine a guy that can hand you a 20% win boost is pretty enticing, if you believe his hitting slumps aren't causing you to lose an offsetting number of matches.

Comment

Stroh has his valleys for sure, but man those peaks. He has practically single-handedly won like 4 games for us. That's almost 20% of our wins. And he has exactly 0 errors in 34 games he's played in, so it's not like he's causing us to lose on the flip side.

I don't know anything about pro baseball, but I would imagine a guy that can hand you a 20% win boost is pretty enticing, if you believe his hitting slumps aren't causing you to lose an offsetting number of matches.
                            He might not get drafted but he will most likely be offered something to sign. He has easy power that scouts like.

Comment

• Doc, a weird query...how many Nebraskans on the team, besides Stroh....a couple pitchers?

And Is Shockerdad a little close to the flame?

BTW....I was watching my grandson pitch this weekend (he's 10 and LEARNING) and his dad, whom I love like no other , said "Throw strikes"......well, yeah....I would if I could...as the great Radney Foster sang "Easier said than done"....:)

Comment

If you wanted to "build" a baseball athlete, he wouldn't look much different than Seth. Dude's a specimen. Additionally, you will not find a better human being.

That's a great point about he's not "causing us to lose on the flip side". We're fielding a respectable .970 but our opponents are .975 which is near elite status overall.

Back to Seth....a hot hitting Stroh would be a fantastic way to play the last 1/3 of the season. Hope he gets the chance and stays within himself. He doesn't have to try to be a monster, he just is one.

Comment

Working...
                                X