WSU at USF (Apr 5-7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post

So pitch all your undeveloped arms instead of trying to use the guys that might give you a chance to win. Good choice.
    Completely missing the point. The whole idea of developing is so you don't have undeveloped arms now. If you think Anderson and Holmes have looked the same last few outings your not watching. But time will tell as year goes on what will happen and i hope I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Shockersdad View Post

Completely missing the point. The whole idea of developing is so you don't have undeveloped arms now. If you think Anderson and Holmes have looked the same last few outings your not watching. But time will tell as year goes on what will happen and i hope I'm wrong
      Obviously you haven’t coached. If so I’d like to see your results. Just saying…

Comment

We're the type of team that splashes here and there, loses here and there, but if we don't stop believing in ourselves could be a _major_ dark horse come conference tournament time.

And we are in a seriously demanding portion of our schedule. After playing against OU and beating Kansas, we had ONE day rest and it was travel to Florida. Then after tomorrow we get ONE day rest again and then we are taking on OSU and K-State. Then ONE day rest again and we are in a conference series match against FAU.

That's 10 games in 13 days, which includes travel to Florida. Then immediately after that gauntlet we get ECU in North Carolina.

As fans it's time to put on our hard hats.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Weren’t you on the Fire Gene bandwagon?
          gene.jpg

Gene fired himself

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

gene.jpg

Gene fired himself
            Were you still watching the super regionals and cheering them on when he was still here after that?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

gene.jpg

Gene fired himself
              What a moronic post!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Were you still watching the super regionals and cheering them on when he was still here after that?
                Sure. I have two degrees from Wichita State, so my loyalty is to no man in the program, but the school.

However, as soon as those players cycled through the program he had on the team, he could never bring the same talent back into the program. Opposing coaches used his words against him after that. His team went from winning the MVC 14 years in a row to winning 3 of the next 8. He had 18 NCAA appearances in a row. After the OU fiasco, he went to the NCAA tournament 5 of 8 times and three times with that Core team that went to the Super Regional.

Now, of course, compared to the Butler and the Alcoholic Coach eras, those results are outstanding and the surrender monkey on Shockernet would settle.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

What a moronic post!
                  Shockernet is the home of the "moronic post" - so glad I can be part of the Shockernet family.

Comment

Sure. I have two degrees from Wichita State, so my loyalty is to no man in the program, but the school.

However, as soon as those players cycled through the program he had on the team, he could never bring the same talent back into the program. Opposing coaches used his words against him after that. His team went from winning the MVC 14 years in a row to winning 3 of the next 8. He had 18 NCAA appearances in a row. After the OU fiasco, he went to the NCAA tournament 5 of 8 times and three times with that Core team that went to the Super Regional.

Now, of course, compared to the Butler and the Alcoholic Coach eras, those results are outstanding and the surrender monkey on Shockernet would settle.
                    Wow! Nice post! You just made my day by agreeing (in so many words) that firing Gene was the dumbest decision ever. Good day sir!

Comment

Since joining the AAC, we're 4-10 in Clearwater in 5 trips (2020 cancelled due to Covid).

We've played in a bracket final game (not tourney final) exactly zero times. We played UCONN once on Saturday but had to beat them twice to advance(we lost).

We've finished in conference:

2018: 7 of 9 and needed to beat Memphis in the last series to even qualify for Clearwater
                      2019: 8 of 9 and again needed to beat USF in the last series and on the last day to qualify for Clearwater
                      2020: Cancelled due to Covid
                      2021: 3 of 8 largely due to a scheduling break
                      2022: Tied for 7th of 8, again needing a win on the last day to stay out of last
                      2023: 3 of 8
                      2024: ?

We haven't finished in the top 2 in the regular season since 2013 (2nd in the MVC) and haven't won a regular season title since 2010.

We haven't been in the finals of a conference tournament since 2013 when we won the MVC.

I believe we were picked 7th this season and I personally (and fairly I believe) thought we'd win around 20 games this season. We're at 19 on April 7. I gave us, at best, a 50-50 shot at making Clearwater. Today, I can't imagine the collapse it would take for us to miss Clearwater.

I have no idea if we're on the path to being "back" but I know we're better. I know we're competitive and I know we're better than I thought was possible this season and this team is fun to watch and support, and that hasn't been the case much of the last 15 or so seasons. I'm also frustrated at missed opportunities, but that's baseball, especially when your team is talent deficient. For instance, we are neither more talented nor more experienced than USF. They've played essentially the same lineup of 4 seniors (4,5 or 6 year players), 2 juniors and 3 sophomores, and 4 pitchers Redshirt Sr, Jr, So & So. and almost all (if not ALL) have spent their entire career at USF. No freshmen.

We've started 3 freshmen in the field and 3 of the 5 pitchers we've used are freshmen (4 of 6 when you count Tommy today). By my count, 8 of the 15 players we've used this weekend are in their first season of D1 baseball. Asking boys to compete vs men is tough.

I think we're punching a bit above our weight. I also think we can improve and get better. But this season, realistically, has ALWAYS been about if we can win in Clearwater. Let's get a win today and stay a game back of first.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Speaking of Clearwater ... what are the dates for the tourney?

Edit: nvm, they are posted on the baseball schedule on goshockers.com ... May 21 through 26th.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Speaking of Clearwater ... what are the dates for the tourney?

Edit: nvm, they are posted on the baseball schedule on goshockers.com ... May 21 through 26th.
                          It's really a great trip. Clearwater Beach is gorgeous. Just sit on the beach if you want. Some good fishing, plenty to do or not do, your choice. Food is amazing and a million choices. Tampa offers options. Getting to and from the stadium is fairly routine and the stadium itself is an excellent venue for college baseball. Plenty of shade too for those sunny hot days. Also an amazing farmers market just down the street from the stadium with fruits and veggies that just are better than what you can get in the 316 (and a hidden sandwich shop that brings tears to my eyes). Only thing missing is our team getting to the finals or better.

Shocks mix things up a bit in the lineup, putting freshman Lane Haworth in the leadoff spot today. He worked a 3-1 count before flying out grrrr......Tommy gave up 2 solid singles but no further damage and it's no score after 1.

Tommy gives up a leadoff single to start the 2nd.

Seems like the scout is out on us right now, especially at the plate. Don't pitch us inside A)because we'll take one and B) because you don't have to. Don't get behind, just throw strikes because we don't swing the bats well enough to worry too much (and we have too many holes in the lineup even if we are 'hitting'). Throw strikes and just don't give us free passes, walks or HBP and you'll be fine.

And while we can pitch some, we don't have enough swing and miss stuff to fear too much. Be aggressive, don't let our guys get free strikes and get ahead and you'll get good pitches to hit.

Don't like our chances today.

Another single, a K and then a HBP and Tommy is in deep **** in the 2nd with Drew Brutcher, WSU killer, at the plate.

Tommy settles in and gets the next 2 out swinging. GREAT effing job TOMMY!!!

Now LET'S GO SHOCKS!

Comment

Damn it, even when we do hit the ball....Durnin gets a single, Haworth hits one right on the nose and it's another single, but its just past the 2nd baseman. If one of their guys squared one up like that it would be against the wall. Difference between men and boys. Camden steps and powders one right at the pitcher's glove. 6 inches anywhere else and it's 1-0 and first & third or at worst, bases loaded 1 out. Instead, double play, inning over.

Let's go Tommy. Keep battling.

Comment

Baseball.....Cam blisters one that finds the glove of the pitcher just by accident and starts an inning ending double play instead of continuing a rally.

USF guy hits one off the end of the bat that barely makes it to the pitcher then takes a weird hop resulting in a completely undeserved leadoff single.

Next guy singles and Tommy is in trouble again, 1st and 2nd and nobody out. He's going to have to battle both physically and mentally to stay in the game and keep the Shocks tied or at least close.

Tommy gets a K and then Brutcher to ground into an inning ending DP on a 2-0 count. Whew.

No score top 5. Shocks living very, very dangerously. Getting a lead would be, at a minimum, comforting.

Comment

Working...
                              X