X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      I think CJohnson may have set a stadium record for home run trot. He was FIRED UP

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Seth totally redeemed himself! Yeah!

Comment

I think I will just put the audio of that 36 second clip of Millan gettin' it done in a loop and fall asleep to it. Nice little lullaby!
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Love that you can rewind on Audacy app to listen to Mike. I also bailed on listening and just pulled up Shane for the 9th. Who did great btw.

Comment

A good game with a great finish. Seemed like a little higher intensity than a typical midweek game with both teams bringing in their ace closers.
              Last edited by Power Outlet; April 4, 2024, 07:48 AM.

Comment

This shows how a good and smart hitter makes adjustments, and this time it resulted in a game winning hit.

How Wichita State baseball executed its plan for dramatic walk-off win over Kansas

From his spot in the on-deck circle, Mauricio Millan watched as the Kansas pitcher fed the Wichita State batter three straight sliders for a strikeout.

With the winning run on second base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning, Millan had a plan at the plate late Wednesday evening at Eck Stadium.

“I told myself that I was going to sit on a first-pitch slider,” Millan said. “If I get a fastball, I’m taking. But if I see any spin up, I’m going to stay short, not try to do too much and just take it back up the middle.”

And that’s exactly what Millan did, as he laced a first-pitch slider to center field to walk it off for Wichita State in a dramatic 7-6 win over KU and set off a raucous, water-soaked celebration.

Mauricio Millan played the hero on Wednesday, delivering the walk-off hit to spur a raucous celebration at Eck Stadium.

Comment

I'm not sure how this team will finish the season, but it seems like Green is buildin' something.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                    I'm not sure how this team will finish the season, but it seems like Green is buildin' something.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

RH: Rogers, Gustafson, Millan Execute In The Ninth

Wichita State catcher Mauricio Millan found himself in one of those baseball torture zones, where he loved the game when he smacked the ball and hated it seconds later when it landed in a glove.

Lots of hard-hit balls on Tuesday and Wednesday and lots of frustration. He knew, however, that he was seeing the ball well.

"The game knows," he said. "I try to do my best to keep my head level and keep telling myself the game knows. It will all even out."​

​"He's their guy," second baseman Jordan Rogers said. "When I step into the box, with that situation, game tied, I'm going to be aggressive. I'm not going to take any pitches for a strike."

Rogers hit Cranton's first-pitch fastball to right. Jaden Gustafson moved him to second with a bunt. After a strikeout, Millan came up with much the same plan as Rogers did.

"Picture-perfect inning," Millan said. "We knew their closer was coming in. We knew he had a really good fastball, up to 97, 98, touched 100 (mph). We knew what we were getting."

Millan watched Cranton strike out Derek Williams with three sliders for the second out of the inning. Millan figured he would see the same pitch.

"That's exactly what I got," Millan said. "I was sitting on it because of the last at-bat."

He hit Cranton's slider into center field. Rogers scored well ahead of the throw, sliding across home plate to set off a celebration. The Jayhawks (15-11) walked off slowly, trying to avoid the joyous Shockers, and trying to figure out how they coughed up a lead with a rested bullpen and two red-hot relievers.

"A lot of quality at-bats the last couple innings," Shockers coach Brian Green said. "What a big hit by (Millan)."​

Kansas led 6-4 entering the eighth and the scene looked familiar for the Shockers. They stranded eight runners in the first seven innings, including leaving the bases loaded in the second and runners at second and third in the third inning. Much like in three previous mid-week losses, big hits eluded the Shockers.

That changed in the eighth against KU's Kolby Dougan, protecting a 6-4 lead. Seth Stroh hit the first pitch out to right field. Freshman Camden Johnson hit his first Shocker home run with two outs to tie it 6-all, blasting a chest-high fastball out to right.

Johnson credited teammate Ryan Callahan, who played at KU in 2021 and 2022, with a scouting report on Dougan.

"I knew what I was looking for," Johnson said. "He was real aggressive with that fastball. Not wavering away from that. That's the pitch I was looking for."

Johnson gleefully rounded the bases and stomped on home plate.

"I'm not the biggest home run hitter, and you could tell by watching me," he said. "If I'm being honest, I kind of blacked out going around the bases. My first collegiate homer and it came at a pretty big time. I was pumped."​​

Comment

You have to feel really good for Mo, Seth, Jordan and Nate for perhaps getting a just reward for hanging with the Shockers. A really great feel good moment. Let's hope they continue to have many more.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                          Let's hope these guys (especially the Freshman) having all of this success with lots of opportunities don't look for something bigger. Anybody ever wonder why none of the Wassu players didn't come with Green and Claggett?

Comment

Originally posted by BSB4LF View Post

Let's hope these guys (especially the Freshman) having all of this success with lots of opportunities don't look for something bigger. Anybody ever wonder why none of the Wassu players didn't come with Green and Claggett?
                            Yeah, kids looking for other opportunities is just going to be the way it is pretty much everywhere these days. WSU isn't going to be alone in that predicament. Hopefully we can win more than we lose.

Regional recruiting, out of state tuition cost, playing 1000+ miles from home, not good enough for this program would be a few of the reasons I've thought of............

Also, I believe Parker switched and they had a history with Jack Mount? (I could be mistaken, but a pitcher that was at Wazzu before going juco).

Anyway, my radar is on now. Sensing something. Thoughts ShockerFever? Your meter is usually good reading this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Yeah, kids looking for other opportunities is just going to be the way it is pretty much everywhere these days. WSU isn't going to be alone in that predicament. Hopefully we can win more than we lose.

Regional recruiting, out of state tuition cost, playing 1000+ miles from home, not good enough for this program would be a few of the reasons I've thought of............

Also, I believe Parker switched and they had a history with Jack Mount? (I could be mistaken, but a pitcher that was at Wazzu before going juco).

Anyway, my radar is on now. Sensing something. Thoughts ShockerFever? Your meter is usually good reading this kind of thing.
                              Kinda has "Jim" flavor from the Volleyball board.

Comment

Originally posted by BSB4LF View Post

My question was more why does a person with only two posts, post now with that question.

Comment

Working...
                                X