WSU vs Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Tommy is getting to be a kind of "better get to me before I get going" kind of a guy. Once the deuce and change get mixed in he's flippin' lights out.
    Yeah if he gets that bang bang seeing eye deuce to the corners going ... look out!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I totally know what a deuce is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        Why are we bringing in Dobbs? Trying to normalize throwing an inning on your bullpen day? I just don't get the point of this. There are 10 guys in the pen that could use an inning.
        They had Zang and Geraghty getting ready in the pen. Those 2 should have pitched today no matter what. When we play better teams, guys who throw 95-96 are few and far between. Also didn't need Anderson yesterday going back out for the 9th in a blow out. Could have used any one of 5 other guys to stay sharp.

Comment

Tommy is getting to be a kind of "better get to me before I get going" kind of a guy. Once the deuce and change get mixed in he's flippin' lights out.
          Does deuce mean second best pitch? Asking for a friend, because I totally know the answer personally, myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Does deuce mean second best pitch? Asking for a friend, because I totally know the answer personally, myself.
            Generally it means an offspeeed breaking pitch. Generally, a curve ball or a slider but that will vary with the pitcher. Some pitchers throw a hybrid called a slurve. Some throw a knuckle-curve. A fastball is generally referred to as the old number 1, but that does not necessarily mean the fastball is every pitchers best pitch.

A curve or breaking pitch is also sometimes called Uncle Charlie. Also sometimes called a bender or Captain Hook. Some times referred to as throwing a pitch with a wrinkle.

It is probably borrowed from the most basic level of sandlot baseball where the catcher has two signals: one finger for the fastball and two for the curveball.

Some ptichers have what is called a 12-6 curve. That is a curveball whose break is pretting much verical. Starting and 12 o'clock and ending up at 6 o'clock. Some guys throw a sweeping curve which is a mostly horizontal break, A lot will depend on the arm slot a pitcher uses.

A curve is generally a slower pitch than slider with a bigger break. Sometimes a pitcher will use a slow curve as his change up.

A slider is generally thrown harder thah a curve with a sharper, late break down and to the left for a RHP or to the right for a LHP which makes it look like a fast ball unitl the last moment.

A sinker is generally a hard and pretty straight pitch that has a downward dip at the last moment. Again looking like a fastball until the last moment.

A good straight change is one thrown with the same arm action as your fastball but at a much slower speed. However, many changeups do has some movement to them.

I won't go into screwballs, cut-fastballs and what may be the hardest pitch to learn to throw and perhaps the hardest pitch to hit (and certainly the hardest ptich to catch) is the knuckleball which appears to be a dying art. Former MLB catcher Bob Uecker when asked what the best way to catch a good knuckeball was said let it roll to the backstop and go pick it up.

Sometimes a double-play is also called a deuce and is generally referred to as a pitchers best friend.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2024, 05:46 PM.

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Generally it means an offspeeed breaking pitch. Generally, a curve ball or a slider but that will vary with the pitcher. Some pitchers throw a hybrid called slurve. Some throw a knuckle-cuver. A fastball is generally referred to as the old number 1, but that does not necessarily meen the fastball is every pitchers best pitch.

A curve or breaking pitch is also someties called Uncle Charlie.
                That's almost word for word EXACTLY what I told my friend, but he wouldn't listen. You and me, we know this stuff though, y' know?

Thanks for teaching that noob.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  Holee sheet ees Bigfoot!

Comment

Some pitchers have what is called a 12-6 curve. That is a curveball whose break is pretty much vertical. Starting and 12 o'clock and ending up at 6 o'clock. Some guys throw a sweeping curve which is a mostly horizontal break, A lot will depend on the arm slot a pitcher uses.

I won't go into screwballs, cut-fastballs and what may be the hardest pitch to learn to throw and perhaps the hardest pitch to hit (and certainly the hardest pitch to catch) is the knuckleball which appears to be a dying art. Former MLB catcher Bob Uecker when asked what the best way to catch a good knuckleball was said let it roll to the backstop and go pick it up.
                    You will hear some people (Shane Dennis likes to use this) refer to the 12-6 curve as a "nose to toes" curve. Robert Cranz throws a great nose to toes curve, for instance.

You will also hear the term 4 seamer and 2 seamer. A 4 seamer is a fastball gripped across the seams and is simply a fastball that is the hardest an straightest pitch. The 2 seamer tends to be a slightly slower pitch with a little movement. 20 years ago (maybe less) it was a fastball. Period.

The OSU guy on Tuesday threw a 4 seamer pretty much 94-97 (probably has more on the upside) and his 2 seamer was 90-94 with a little movement.

And let's be honest, these are absolute nuances. Most pitchers use their God given ability and natural "slot" and then what happens gets called something. MOST announcers call the pitches the correct type about half the time.

72 also referenced a cut fastball or cutter (you'll hear that a lot) that is basically just a different fastball grip (than 2 seam or 4 seam). Not every pitcher's delivery achieves positive results and so they go with what works for them.

And just to add one last thing to 72's informative post, a pitch even more unusual (see also, dying breed) is the ephuss pitch, which is basically just a high soft lob that is meant to entice the batter to swing entirely too hard at what looks like the easiest thing to hit.

Comment

• Nice overview guys!

Totally familiar with the knuckleball as I have spent more hours than I care to admit to, trying to consistently kick one off a free kick in soccer. It's an even more rare skill in that world as most people (including players) don't even realize it's a thing. Some kids claim to hit them and have no idea what they are talking about.

The greatest in the world IMO was Andrea Pirlo of Italy.

At first glance this just looks like a typical smash from 30 meters with ordinary English:

Amazing FreeKick by Andrea Pirlo [Eng 1- 2 ITA]. #LegendPunizione incredibile di Pirlo in Inghilterra- Italia [1-2] nella Coppa del Mondo 2014.

But watch the replay. The ball barely spins, giving it the knuckle as it clears the wall and check out the the keeper ... totally goes the wrong way as it magically breaks right and down.

There's a fascinating interview with Andrea where he says he spent a couple years in Brazil learning it from an old master. And that each free kick is random and like a child -- he loves them all and doesn't have a favorite. He has no idea which way they will break because that's the nature of not putting spin on it - you're giving up precise control for that stunning random shift.

I wish a WSU player would work out a knuckleball. Would be exciting to watch!

Comment

Nice overview guys!

Totally familiar with the knuckleball as I have spent more hours than I care to admit to, trying to consistently kick one off a free kick in soccer. It's an even more rare skill in that world as most people (including players) don't even realize it's a thing. Some kids claim to hit them and have no idea what they are talking about.

The greatest in the world IMO was Andrea Pirlo of Italy.

At first glance this just looks like a typical smash from 30 meters with ordinary English:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0vftFVDtc&pp=ygUeQW5kcmVhIHBpcmxvIGVuZ2x hbmQgZnJlZSBraWNr

But watch the replay. The ball barely spins, giving it the knuckle as it clears the wall and check out the the keeper ... totally goes the wrong way as it magically breaks right and down.

There's a fascinating interview with Andrea where he says he spent a couple years in Brazil learning it from an old master. And that each free kick is random and like a child -- he loves them all and doesn't have a favorite. He has no idea which way they will break because that's the nature of not putting spin on it - you're giving up precise control for that stunning random shift.

I wish a WSU player would work out a knuckleball. Would be exciting to watch!
                        The problem with a good knucleball is not only is it hard to hit, it is also almost as hard to catch. Catchers typically used a special oversized mitt when catching a knuckleballer and still have difficulty flagging down those butterfiles.

image.png

Comment

• Comment

#Understatement

This guy has been super all year. What a disaster that was....and Seth's double....holy crap that was hit hard.
                            I see your point. (Sratton) HBP BB / (Hickson) BB HBP BB HBP DOUBLE / (Bank) SF, BB, SINGLE. 7 RUNS ON 2 HITS and NO ERRORS.

Comment

The problem with a good knucleball is not only is it hard to hit, it is also almost as hard to catch.​
                              Ahhhh, yeah that makes a ton of sense.

Comment

• Derek Williams had an interesting series against Rice:

4-6, 7 total bases, 2 runs, 7 rbi, 2 walks and 4 hit by pitches.

I calculate that BA/OB%/SL%/OPS at .667 / .833 / 1.167 / 2.000

Comment

Working...
                                X