Listen

Live Stats

History

RPI
    ---
    Shox: 68
    Oklahoma: 100

Oklahoma lost their last game against Pitt: 9 - 19

Getting hit over the head by 19 looks familiar.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Who will get the start? Only Nostradamus knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Who will get the start? Only Nostradamus knows!
      It appears there are no coaches radio shows tonight. Not for baseball, MBB, WBB or softball. In fact, there are no further MBB or WBB radio shows on the schedule. Next radio shows for baseball and softball are schedule for next Monday (March 11th).

So I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow evening to find out for sure.

WuDrWu in another post speculated that it would be freshman lefty Tyler Dobbs based on his strong 5 inning performance in relief of Michael Mulholland against ORU. Tyler pitched to 1 batter in the Virginia game and 3 batters in the Iowa game before his ORU outing. Small sample size, but against good competition, Tyler has pitched 6 innings without giving up any runs on 1 hit, 1 walk with 4 strikeouts. So he has probably earned the right to start a game and make a bid for the 4th starter role. But we will see.

Comment

Yeah if I had to guess, I'd say Dobbs...but it's a really tough spot to drop the freshman into this early. I think it's pretty clear this staff is going to do what they think is best/right to win the game in front of them. Personally, I'd like to see Michael Mulhollon get another start. We are going to need him this season. He has a ton of upside. I realize the ORU game was a mess but he needs to figure it out because he's too talented to stay in the pen.

And if we can put ourselves in a position to win, I expect to see some kind of combination of Anderson, Holmes and Adler late.

Not to be mean at all, but I won't sweat heatin' up Jace Minor a bit if we get the chance.

Comment

Oh yeah! Jace Miner. Let's whoop him! Lol

Comment

I definitely think Mulhollon will get another chance. Perhaps next week when we have the 2 mid-week games vs Nebraska.

Comment

Wichita State (7-3, 0-0 American) vs. Oklahoma (5-5, 0-0 Big 12)

Tuesday, March 5 | 6:30 pm CT | Norman, Oklahoma (L. Dale Mitchell Park)
              TV: ESPN+ | Radio: KNSS 98.7 FM/1330 AM
              LHP Tyler Dobbs (1-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Will Carsten (0-0, 11.25)

https://goshockers.com/news/2024/3/4...-oklahoma.aspx

SCOUTING OKLAHOMA: The Sooners enter play on Tuesday with a record of 5-5 after a pair of defeats at the Las Vegas College Baseball Classic this past weekend. Oklahoma already owns a top-10 win with an extra inning victory over then-#9 Tennessee on opening weekend at Globe Life Field. The Sooners are hitting .331 as a team, led by the .486 average of outfielder John Spikerman. The Oklahoma pitching staff ranks 17th nationally with 11.7 strikeouts per nine innings. The Sooners are coming off a 32-28 record in 2023 (11-13 in Big 12 play) that ended with a 1-2 showing at the Charlottesville Regional.

I am not sure how much good scouting reports are for mid-week games especially this early in the season especially for the mid-week pitching which is kind of an unknown. Will Carsten, the scheduled started for OU, has an 11.25 ERA but that is in 2 innings of work each against Dallas Baptist and Wright State where he gave up a total of 5 earned runs. I will point out that Tommy LaPour had an ERA of 22.5 after his first 2 outings before pitching 5 very good innings on Sunday vs Utah Tech. Carsten, a righty, is a big guy at 6-7, 246 lbs. Of course, pitching in the mid-week games is often a Johnny Wholestaff proposition.

It does appear that Oklahoma can hit so the Shocker pitching will be challenged.

Oklahoma has wins over top 10 Tennessee (5-1), Nebraska (7-6) Wright State x3 (14-9, 10-3, 10-2)
              Oklahoma losses are to Oregon (2-4), Dallas Baptist (7-11), Wright State (2-12), Pittsburgh (9-19) and Ohio State (3-4)
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 5, 2024, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Carsten was an innings eater for OU last season. Originally committed to OU out of high school, went juco then finally to OU last season. Low to mid 90s FB with decent control. Will give up the long ball. 5.50+ ERA last season and double that this season. Be patient but aggressive at the plate and get to him early and start working on a bullpen that has a lot of questions right now (outside of the UT game when they were brilliant).

I probably want our guys to sweep this mid week opponent more than anyone else on the schedule, and that's saying something, especially for me and my pure unadulterated hatred for Ku. There are 1 or 2 folks down there that need to be shown what this program can accomplish, especially without them.

Comment

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Comment

Not sure I can hold too much of a grudge against Jace Miner and Austin Henry. Not only were they faced with dealing with a totally new coaching staff but it is hard to say what the environment was like under the previous regime. On top of that 8 of our 12 core position guys were moving on with Rodden and Thornhill using up the eligibility and Ingram, McDonald, Tolle, Pennington, Herring and Little transferring. Only Millan, Stroh, Gustafson and Rogers choosing to remain although even that was uncertain at the time.. As pitchers you could see them wondering where the run support would be coming from.

Jace Miner has been used sparingly so far this season with a total of 3 innings in 3 appearances give up 3 earned runs but he has 5 strikeouts to only 1 walk. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in tonight's game.

As far as I can tell Austin Henry has not seen any action so far this year for the Sooners.

The Shocks are better off with guys who are bought in to Coach Green and the Shockers. And at least at this point they guys the Shockers have do seem to have bought in for the most part. That said the Shocks are still a work in process. Hoping for a good outing from the good guys tonight with the bus ride home being a happy one.

Comment

Honestly, I really don't harbor any ill will towards either Jace or Austin.

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance that athletes (and coaches) must walk.......Jace might hop over that line now and then. He definitely felt like he had gotten too big for WSU. I wish him nothing but the best. Good dude. Also have no problem these guys showing him we're just fine without him too.

Austin is completely different and I won't detail. Great kid. I will say this is one area that needs to be addressed (but of course never will). Austin was hurt before he got to campus. WSU kept him, did all the work and rehab, made sure he got as healthy as he could on their watch and their dime. Then he leaves. Somebody owes WSU something. And that little rant has nothing to do with "showing" anyone anything. It's just wrong, for anyone and or any school.

The 2nd person is in the Sooner dugout.

Comment

Did not realize Captain Blipto had ended up back in Norman.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          The 2nd person is in the Sooner dugout.
                          Let's just hope we finally have the guy who can revitalize the program. I am not expecting a return the the glory days but we can certainly do better than we have over the past decade or so although we live in a whole new world now.

Comment

I've said too many times how the baseball world is vastly different than it was '85-'00. Regardless, we should be a top tier AAC team. ECU and WSU should lead the way. We should regularly be in or around the tournament. We should be a place WSU fans WANT to attend and support the program. We should compete and play the right way. We are always going to have a huge scheduling problem due to location. Barring a dome being built, that's not going to change.

Skip has been very clear about what he thinks of this program and where it should be. I believe he's smart enough to understand the dynamics at work in college athletics and the difficulties in reaching the highest expectations. I don't think it's just coach speak. Anyone that's watched this team go about their business knows it's different than it's been in a long time. That being said, you have to have the Jimmys and Joes.

I have NO idea, but if you could be a fly on the wall, it wouldn't surprise me if the staff isn't just a little bit surprised with how much talent they have with the kids joining the program. Siri and Pelf recruited very, very well. And I would guess they are pleased with how much talent they have to work with and that is helping to fuel a positive start to the season. Will it last? I have no idea. We're so young. We don't have the 2 or 3 superstars you need these days to be really good. But damn it, it sure looks like they've put together a team, and that's something we should have no trouble supporting.

Comment

Is it time for tossy ball yet??? Feels like 9pm already! Lets go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X