WSU at ORU (Feb 28), vs ORU (Apr 17)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    This feels like one of those games where you throw your hands up and move on. That 2nd inning was ridiculous and we never recovered.
    It was dumb. Not dumb like Caleb did something dumb. But like dumb luck. Dumb good luck for ORU and dumb bad luck for us.

Was very surprised we didnt request a review on our final out in that inning too.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• We could have used Mister Ed last night; even ole Ed can hit a curve ball…

4,680 likes, 146 comments - johnnyoldhollywoodFebruary 26, 2024 on : "Who remembers Mister Ed? Funny scene from a 1963 episode with the Dodgers".
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        If someone, anyone, can find out what we did or who we pissed off that has doomed our program to whatever the **** you call this suffering, it would be great to know so we can start working on an acceptable sacrifice.
        Something, something, 1999. Though based on my recent google, perhaps that incident was insufficient...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure it was so much what we did as to what has been done to college athletics. It has become one huge arms race and it probably is not in the cards for a Wichita State to keep pace. We can continue to try to be the little engine that could by doing more with less but that hill seems get to be a little steeper with every passing year. And right now our coffers have been pretty much emptied out.
          The real bummer with this is that WSU was LEADING the baseball arms race 20ish years ago. Really kindof started it. A lot of stumbles since then, mostly self-inflicted.

Comment

Something, something, 1999. Though based on my recent google, perhaps that incident was insufficient...
            Yeah......I've tried to forget that......damnit.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Yeah......I've tried to forget that......damnit.
              From what I’ve read (which is a lot) as this happened before my time -

A. The media’s turn on HCGS and PCBK outside of Wichita was disgusting. Two legends that were drug through the mud for one guys actions.

B. With who Molina was revealed to actually be as a human, nobody was more deserving of that beaning.
              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• You'll also never convince me that we weren't an injury away from winning another natty in '98. And that would've changed many things. 1998 was the height of gorilla ball and WSU was the biggest gorilla.

Just for fun: https://goshockers.com/documents/202...8.htm?id=13886

Comment

You'll also never convince me that we weren't an injury away from winning another natty in '98. And that would've changed many things. 1998 was the height of gorilla ball and WSU was the biggest gorilla.

Just for fun: https://goshockers.com/documents/202...8.htm?id=13886
                  If you weren't hitting .350 your job was in danger. .369 as a team! lol

Also, you did NOT want to get into our bullpen. Other teams praying Foral, Christensen, Sloan, Bryan stayed in because it was lights out when Kemnitz made the call.

Comment

• I refuse to say 1999 was a major turning point. After 99, we made it to 9 of the next 10 regionals, hosted 2 of them, played in 7 regional championship games, made it to 2 super regionals, hosted 1, and was 1 win away from Omaha. For how competitive college baseball was starting to get, that was a pretty good run. The landscape changing was what started the turn, not the 1999 incident.

We should’ve had super regional berths in 2004 (very painful) and 2006 also IMO. Really pissed we couldn’t finish off the Noles in 08 after getting game 1.

After 2008, yes things went down for our standards. 2 NCAA berths in GS’s final 5 years, but never a losing record and a couple of those years we were partially in at large discussions.

It you want to see a substantial turn, then look after 2013. ZERO NCAA regionals, ZERO conference titles, substantial losing records, not ONE year sniffing an at-large spot. ZERO consistency. HORRIBLE baseball IQ. Hundreds, not thousands in the stands.

So yah, in the last 25 years, there was a clear point when things truly “turned”.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      I refuse to say 1999 was a major turning point. After 99, we made it to 9 of the next 10 regionals, hosted 2 of them, played in 7 regional championship games, made it to 2 super regionals, hosted 1, and was 1 win away from Omaha. For how competitive college baseball was starting to get, that was a pretty good run. The landscape changing was what started the turn, not the 1999 incident.

We should’ve had super regional berths in 2004 (very painful) and 2006 also IMO. Really pissed we couldn’t finish off the Noles in 08 after getting game 1.

After 2008, yes things went down for our standards. 2 NCAA berths in GS’s final 5 years, but never a losing record and a couple of those years we were partially in at large discussions.

It you want to see a substantial turn, then look after 2013. ZERO NCAA regionals, ZERO conference titles, substantial losing records, not ONE year sniffing an at-large spot. ZERO consistency. HORRIBLE baseball IQ. Hundreds, not thousands in the stands.

So yah, in the last 25 years, there was a clear point when things truly “turned”.
                      Oh you don't have to convince me of any of that. But I think the injury-ended '98 that could've easily ended in a CWS or natty followed by the issue in '99 ended up meaning the 'dynasty' kinda ended in '96. Still a top 25 program for another 15 years after that. That '08 team was so good and really had a lot of the clutch gene that has been missing ever since. We simply got Buster Posey'd. It's a testament to how good of a player and dude he turned out to be that I somehow ended up liking him several years later. I usually hate those guys forever.

Also I just like to find reasons to go look at the old season stats and record books. It's both fun and disappointing.

Comment

Oh you don't have to convince me of any of that. But I think the injury-ended '98 that could've easily ended in a CWS or natty followed by the issue in '99 ended up meaning the 'dynasty' kinda ended in '96. Still a top 25 program for another 15 years after that. That '08 team was so good and really had a lot of the clutch gene that has been missing ever since. We simply got Buster Posey'd. It's a testament to how good of a player and dude he turned out to be that I somehow ended up liking him several years later. I usually hate those guys forever.

Also I just like to find reasons to go look at the old season stats and record books. It's both fun and disappointing.
                        I did a lot of traveling back then and it definitely left a “black eye” on our program, which wasn’t deserved. It was another hurdle to overcome in recruiting… things just weren’t quite the same following the incident. Ok, I’ve also tried to erase that memory from my noggin.

Comment

• Green's inaugural season looks to be marginally better than Mills.

​​​​​​Saal hiring his buddy might bring extra scrutiny.

I know. I know the line...first season. Calm down

Comment

• The game might not have gone our way, but damn, that’s a lot of dogs…

Comment

• Hahaha
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Schedule gets real sporty from here until the end.
                                17 games, 11 on the road including 3 @ ECU and 3 @ UTSA, currently the top dogs in the AAC.
                                Only home game series against Charlotte and Tulane.
                                Plus 3 more on the road @ Memphis, and only remaining midweek games also on road.

Gut check time for this group.

That is all.
                                Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Working...
                                X