No announcement yet.

WSU @ Jax College Baseball Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And good heads up coaching by Overcash.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Pretty nice work by the bullpen committee in the Iowa game.

Caleb Anderson (2.2 innings), Tyler Dobbs (0.2 innings), Jack Mount (1.0 innings), Ryan Geraghty (0.2 innings), and Brady Hamilton (2.2 innings) combined for 7.2 innings allowing 4 hits (3 singles and a double), 2 earned runs, while striking out 7 and walking 4 and hitting a batter.

The is a juco sophomore (1 year at Johnson County), a true freshman, juco junior (2 years at Cloud County), a true freshman and true freshman.

That was a refreshing bright spot especially after the debacle against Auburn. How much a crappy strike zone had to do with Auburn situation is hard to tell but if sounds like that was a factor.

Perhaps not a dominating performance by this group but they certainly competed well and got the job done.

Comment

• You can only really control competing. We didn't compete against Auburn (on the mound) and HCBG alluded to it after the game when he said some of the guys that didn't compete are going to have a hard time finding a way back out there for awhile.

Ride or die on throwing strikes. You just cannot give good teams free passes and runs.

Comment

• I'm not going to do this all year or beat a dead horse....I just wanted to quickly look at a snapshot of the season with 2 weekends done and at least a little feel on where we are and what our competition is like.

I'm dividing the season into 3 parts (going forward). The rest of the non-con prior to AAC competition. Conference play and then midweek games once conference play starts.

That's 14 games, 27 games & 9 games. We're 3 and 3. Pure speculation, but for me, 35 wins is probably the low water mark for an at large and each win to 41 ups that % to (about) 100%.

So how do you get to 35? 32 more wins. 6 of 7 vs ORU, Utah Tech and Gonzaga (the Zags are not bad regardless of their record). How many of the other 7, none of which are gimmies? NU X2, LBSU X3, @OU & KState. Probably need at least 4 to be considered seriously. That would put us 13-7.

Without going series by series, you have to finish 2 or 3 (behind ECU) to be considered. That means 2 of 3 all season. 19-8. 32-15.

Then what can we do with the other midweek games? H&H with OU and KU, @Kstate ORU and H&H with OSU plus 1 downtown. 4 wins minimum, again to be considered serious. That would get us to 36-20. Almost certainly outside looking in. Even say, 3-1 in Clearwater, losing to ECU is 39-21. That's a great season but not an at large, at least not without a lot of help somewhere.

And don't misunderstand me, while I am very pleased with what this team has done so far and I agree with ShockerFever that this team is different, I don't think we are a tournament type team. But what I think doesn't mean crap, and these guys obviously are believing in each other right now. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go and if we can continue to build some momentum and confidence, as well as wins.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; March 3, 2024, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• Unless we find some pitching, I'm not sure this team will finish above .500.

Unless opposing pitching find some holes in some Shockers swings, it should at least be entertaining to listen to/watch.
            Last edited by Cdizzle; February 26, 2024, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              You can only really control competing. We didn't compete against Auburn (on the mound) and HCBG alluded to it after the game when he said some of the guys that didn't compete are going to have a hard time finding a way back out there for awhile.

Ride or die on throwing strikes. You just cannot give good teams free passes and runs.
              Let's hope it was a lesson learned.

Comment

• After 6 games against a Top30 schedule, all away from home, WSU is hitting as a team:

.329AVG .985OPS 26XBH .525SLG 54 Free Passes::59 Ks .460OBP

I don't even know what to make of that. The pitching numbers are equally as bad, which is why 3-3. If you eliminate the round-robin weekend, WSU opponents are 13-2 against not WSU. Again, dunno what to make of that. Could be better. Could most certainly be worse.

Comment

• I don't know what to make of the Auburn game. Will that prove to an outlier? Let's hope so.

Including the Auburn game the Shocker's team ERA is at 6.31 with a WHIP of 1.68, 49 K's, 33 BB's + 8 HBP's and an opponents batting average of .264.

Excluding the Auburn game the Shocker's team ERA is 3.65 with a WHIP of 1.35, 46 K's, 17 BB's + 7 HBP's and an opponents batting average of .250.

So if the Auburn game does prove to be an outlier than the pitching numbers from the other 5 games are adequate. Would like to see the free pass cut down a bit.

Out of the 6 starts 3 have been quality starts and 3 have been very poor.

No doubt we are going see bullpen by committee with a lot of situational choices. And it does not appear like we have a legit closer. In addition, to Caden Favors, I think Daniel Zang will be okay as a starter. However, I am not sure Tommy LaPour is quite ready for prime time as a starter. HCBG needs to find a couple more dependable starters.

Very hard to say how this team and this seson will progress. Just so many newcomers to D-1 baseball.

Comment

• Actually, a pretty nice play by Brady Hamilton for the final out of the game. Not a hard hit ball, but could have been a difficult play for the shortstop if it had gotten through. Pretty quick reaction.

What I really liked was his subdued celebration. Just a nice exclamation point without showing up the other team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Unless we find some pitching, I'm not sure this team will finish above .500.

Unless opposing pitching find some holes in some Shockers swings, it should at least be entertaining to listen to/watch.
                      Well, yeah....EVERY team needs to find pitching....young, new team...pitching might be erratic

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Well, yeah....EVERY team needs to find pitching....young, new team...pitching might be erratic
                        Iowa had 3 straight bullpen blowups with veteran pitchers. We are using Freshman (very high ceilings) so give it a few weeks.

Comment

• Hope LaPour matures quickly… he has some nasty stuff…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• No baseball or basketball games tonight.

:(
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              No baseball or basketball games tonight.

Quite a few actually. Just none involving the Shockers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                No baseball or basketball games tonight.

Might need to regenerate your gambling fix.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X