#14 Virginia
    Jacksonville, Fla. 121 Financial Ballpark
    Feb 24 (Sat) 11:00 A.M.
    Auburn
    Feb 25 (Sun) 11:00 A.M.
    #18 Iowa

I don't see how we are favored in any of these? Seems like if we win even one then this weekend is a success for a completely overhauled and young ball club?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

L, W, and W

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      L, W, and W
      Whoa, you think we can beat #18 Iowa with our least experienced pitcher?

Comment

College baseball is more unpredictable than basketball. Let's just say I am higher on this years team than most and predicted us about three spots higher in conference than the pre season rankings

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          College baseball is more unpredictable than basketball. Let's just say I am higher on this years team than most and predicted us about three spots higher in conference than the pre season rankings
          That'd be awesome!

Comment

These 3 games will be tougher than any regional could possibly be. Virginia is a 1 seed, Iowa and Auburn are both 2 seeds. And unless something goofy would happen (like us finishing below .500 and then winning in Clearwater) IF we were to make the tourney it would be a #3 seed or higher (and I'm NOT saying we're a tourney team...just how it is).

Let's see where we're at.

Comment

Eesh. So bring lube?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Eesh. So bring lube?
                It is what it is. It's early, it's baseball and these are quality teams. We're young and even the older guys haven't been in many pressure packed spots. It's going to be different and forecasting our "response" so to speak is a complete unknown. These teams are talented.

For now, take HCBG's comment...we're going to be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                  Eesh. So bring lube?
                  I was pleasantly surprised from the UALR series. And I’m the one that predicted 0-7 or 1-6 out of the gate.

Success in Jacksonville would be a combination of the following…. winning 1 game there. This is the least likely IMO. Or not getting blown out in any of the 3 games. Losing by 6 or 7 runs against a couple of those teams is not terrible. If we get boatraced in a game, that would be disappointing.

As Doc said, let’s see where we’re at and see what happens. Just don’t be expecting anything resembling last weekend.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I said before that I was not on the side of this team being a big run scoring bunch...and one that would have success winning games like 12-10 a lot. I just didn't see our guys being like that, which was a big driver in my concerns about how good (or bad actually) we might be because, to me, the bigger question was our pitching.

It was interesting to hear HCBG talk about how he thinks the strength of the team is in the length and depth of the pitching staff. He mentioned time and again how as well as we pitched in Little Rock, you didn't see Mulhollon, Dobbs or Wilkinson, three guys that are really good and we have to get in but to start we're going to find the right spot.

All of a sudden, you feel at least some comfort with a weekend rotation of Favors, Zang, LaPour (just listen to Skip and he's not worried at all about Tommy)...midweek Hamilton & Holmes (who he said both could go long) then, AT LEAST so far, Iverson, Geraghty, Anderson, Adler, Zayas who we've seen, and Mulhollon, Dobbs & Wilky whom we haven't.

That doesn't mean we're going to have a staff ERA below 4.00 (by comparison it was 4.24 last year, above 5 the 3 full seasons prior to that and it's 3.12 right now), a WHIP below 1.50 (it was 1.34 last year and 1.15 now) or that our strikeout to walk ratio is going to be above 2.5 (2.85 last year and above FOUR right now) but it does mean we have options that we can go to. Skip said closer by committee and I suspect it's going to be relief by committee and when we get 4-5+ out of a starter, we're going to be pretty tough to beat just because we have so many options. And I named 13 arms and personally think that Arnett, Lee and Oswald are more guys with enough arm talent to help immediately, somewhere. And I also suspect, and it's only my guess, but I suspect that somewhere, they're identifying a couple of guys that are everyday types that have enough arm strength and "game" that they're also finding out if they can pitch...something like say Seth Stroh who could take the mound to get a righty out then go back to say LF, just as an option (and I'm using Seth as an example, I don't think it's him). He keeps talking about options, and how we were too "DH heavy" and "team" ....ECU does this and it wouldn't surprise me if we did too.

He also talked about identifying the regulars, and 30 for conference (I believe the last few years the travel number for conference games was on 27 or 25 so I'm not sure about the exact number) but you have to figure out who can help where, and the more places you can play, the more value you are going to have when we suit up.

He also talked about 12-13 position players. I count 18 available (plus Logan Kreske who is the clear #3 catcher). He talked about Mo playing 2nd when he didn't catch, which stunned the living bejeezus out of me...I think we only didn't see Holden Pantier (who I think has a big upside) and Jake Rice. 17 of the 19 listed fielding players played this weekend. The guys that are going to travel are likely the guys that can help in multiple areas.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; February 21, 2024, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I said before that I was not on the side of this team being a big run scoring bunch...and one that would have success winning games like 12-10 a lot. I just didn't see our guys being like that, which was a big driver in my concerns about how good (or bad actually) we might be because, to me, the bigger question was our pitching.

It was interesting to hear HCBG talk about how he thinks the strength of the team is in the length and depth of the pitching staff. He mentioned time and again how as well as we pitched in Little Rock, you didn't see Mulhollon, Dobbs or Wilkinson, three guys that are really good and we have to get in but to start we're going to find the right spot.

All of a sudden, you feel at least some comfort with a weekend rotation of Favors, Zang, LaPour (just listen to Skip and he's not worried at all about Tommy)...midweek Hamilton & Holmes (who he said both could go long) then, AT LEAST so far, Iverson, Geraghty, Anderson, Adler, Zayas who we've seen, and Mulhollon, Dobbs & Wilky whom we haven't.

That doesn't mean we're going to have a staff ERA below 4.00 (by comparison it was 4.24 last year, above 5 the 3 full seasons prior to that and it's 3.12 right now), a WHIP below 1.50 (it was 1.34 last year and 1.15 now) or that our strikeout to walk ratio is going to be above 2.5 (2.85 last year and above FOUR right now) but it does mean we have options that we can go to. Skip said closer by committee and I suspect it's going to be relief by committee and when we get 4-5+ out of a starter, we're going to be pretty tough to beat just because we have so many options. And I named 13 arms and personally think that Arnett, Lee and Oswald are more guys with enough arm talent to help immediately, somewhere. And I also suspect, and it's only my guess, but I suspect that somewhere, they're identifying a couple of guys that are everyday types that have enough arm strength and "game" that they're also finding out if they can pitch...something like say Seth Stroh who could take the mound to get a righty out then go back to say LF, just as an option (and I'm using Seth as an example, I don't think it's him). He keeps talking about options, and how we were too "DH heavy" and "team" ....ECU does this and it wouldn't surprise me if we did too.

He also talked about identifying the regulars, and 30 for conference (I believe the last few years the travel number for conference games was on 27 or 25 so I'm not sure about the exact number) but you have to figure out who can help where, and the more places you can play, the more value you are going to have when we suit up.

He also talked about 12-13 position players. I count 18 available (plus Logan Kreske who is the clear #3 catcher). He talked about Mo playing 2nd when he didn't catch, which stunned the living bejeezus out of me...I think we only didn't see Holden Pantier (who I think has a big upside) and Jake Rice. 17 of the 19 listed fielding players played this weekend. The guys that are going to travel are likely the guys that can help in multiple areas.
                      last years travel # was 27

Comment

Perhaps this is the way it has always been on the road but thought the Shocks looked sharp and like a TEAM just walking into what I presume to be the stadium.

Comment

I know it's 3 games in, but there's little doubt in my mind that "team" is a term and acceptance that this program hasn't seen or enjoyed in many moons.

So far, these guys appear to be on the same page. And it's 3 games in.

Comment

I just hope if we get obliterated by these tourney teams this weekend, they don't get rattled and lose their confidence going forward.

Comment

Here is how I would grade the series:
                              F == 0-3 and not competitive
                              D == 0-3 and at least competitive in the games
                              C == 1-2
                              B == will depend on how competitive they are in all 3 games.
                              A- == 2-1
                              A+ == 3-0 (Resets season expectations)

How they compete in each game could raise/or lower their grades either (-) or (+) levels.

Warren Nolan is predicting Marginal failure for losses of 4-7, 5-6 and 5-6.

BTW, Warren Nolan picks WSU to finish 3rd in the AAC

Comment

Working...
                              X