Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening Weekend: Shox @ Arkansas Little Rock (Feb.16-18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    I felt like Favors looked super dialed in at the scrimmage the other day. Also the black team had some slugging going on for sure. Hope that translates to this game!
    It translated!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• One thing that was emphasized from the day he was hired is that our guys will take one for the team.

That point has been delivered and received. 4 HBP and I don't think even one was a flinch. DPJr spun out of the way of one, and I won't bet on it, but I think he was getting some grief from our dugout. I was surprised we struck out 9 times, it didn't seem like it (5 were DPJ and DW at the bottom of the lineup). It looked like we had a lot of good ABs, certainly compared with previous years. That was fun. It was just one game, but it felt like old times, and for old folks like me, it felt good.

Comment

• Sorry Didn't make the anticipated trip due to a family opportunity. My concern with the team was never if they could hit it was always can we pitch well enough to win. Today we did and I'm hopeful we find a couple of more guys like this first outing. Maybe we will adopt the Billy Tubbs philosophy of never mind defense we will just outscore them. At the signing last week (baseball posters) there was a whole bunch of lefties and was hoping some of them were pitchers. At the signing last week the Asst coaches sat at the end of the very long line of players and I asked iff they were the Grad Transfers since they looked so old compared the the very young looking team. Go Shox.

Comment

• One game does not a season make, but wow, that was fun to watch. Favors was sharp until the 6th…take it for this early in the season. Hitting approach was smart. Fielding was great. How about Rogers’s get at 2nd early in the game? Lost his glove, picked it up while diving to the ground, got the throw to 1st in time.

Hopefully we are more than one starting pitcher deep. Looking forward to today and tomorrow’s game.

Comment

• I love that we kept Favors in until it was obvious he was degrading. Taking him to the edge in a game like that takes some of the guess work out as to how many pitches he's good for in the future.

Wilkinson struggled for some reason in the scrimmage BUT now I am seeing it wasn't him so much as just how good our hitters really were. I hope he comes around to understand that and doesn't get inside his own head.

Comment

• Just because I know ShockerFever will appreciate and want to know......

Shocks are #12 in the RPI (Warren Nolan) and IN the field of 64 after day 1.

IKBIC

It was another poor day for the AAC. Only WSU and ECU (who looked fantastic btw) won. FAU trailed #6 Vandy in Nashville 9-0 before scoring 11 unanswered. Unfortunately, 3 in the bottom of the 9th from the Vandyboys ruined their comeback. Most everyone (Memphis was on the road) lost at home. USF was sharp in a tough loss to a typically strong UCONN team 2-1 in Tampa.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                Hopefully we are more than one starting pitcher deep. Looking forward to today and tomorrow’s game.
                Based on what I saw in the fall and what I have read I think we have the arms. However they are very inexperienced arms.

Outside of Caden Favors only Matt Wilkinson, Nate Adler, and Michael Mullholland have any D-1 experience. And even that is pretty limited as they they have a combined 40 innings in 42 appearances.

I saw both today's starter, Daniel Zang, and tomorrow’s starter, Tommy LaPour, last fall and they both look very capable. Especially Zang. If they are able to handle the moment in their first D-1 starts I am cautiously optimistic they will be solid.

Comment

• I don't want to get into the weeds too much this early, but we do have a couple of very weak bats in the bottom of our order this year (at least yesterday they struck out 2 and 3 times). I'll illustrate by discussing BB/SO ratios. Last year we had several batters who we thought would be good hitters who struck out a whole lot, and rarely walked. Some on here even had a nickname for one of our hitters who always wanted a home run, and couldn't hit an outside half pitch if his life depended on it.

Usually pitchers are rated on SO/BB ratios to show success or lack of it. But good hitters don't usually strike out. For example, Tolle could strike out sometimes but his power numbers were so good, so that was a decent trade off, and Tolle's numbers weren't terrible. OTOH, Rodden had a really great BB/SO ratio (walked twice as much as he struck out), and he even had quite a bit of power (Doubles, HR;s etc.) too.

Last year our team BB/SO ratio was 0.45. Yesterday (even though only one game) we were at 1.0, and as I said earlier 5 of those SO were from two hitters at the bottom of our lineup. The most important thing that weaker hitters can do is to 1) bunt or hit ground balls, with less than two outs or 2) Work the pitchers and if possible walk. Anything approaching 1.0 is a good BB/SO ratio.

Comment

• I really enjoyed the approach at the plate yesterday. Not a ton of swing and miss especially against their ace. Again, just one game, but it was refreshing.

I suspect we'll see some lineup changes today. We'll find guys that will compete, one way or the other.

Stroh, Mo & Jordo likely won't change.

I am interested to see how Zang performs. First time I saw him, I thought "well, there's a guy that give us a change for a batter or two". But something happened to his velo and he improved a lot. If he can sit even 91-93 with that arm slot, he's going to be tough. If he's 93-95 he's going to be a terror.

We'll see all new arms out of the pen whenever we get to it. And I don't think you'll have to wait for things to get bad...these guys seem ready to pull the pin as soon as something doesn't look right.

If I had to guess, we'll see the returners today, guys like Wilky, Vercoe and Adler or transfers such as Mount, Walters, Holmes, Oswald, Munz, Luikhart, Fettinger & Mulhollon.

I really want to see some of the freshmen but nobody asks me lol.

I'll guess we'll see a change at SS, 1 OF and maybe 1 other spot. Oswald, Adler, Wilky out of the pen before others. Wild guesses.

Comment

• Pretty cool but not surprising from Stroh. He's a great kid and completely selfless. And I love how much this program means to "Skip". It's what any fan base would want......have it matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Pretty cool but not surprising from Stroh.
                        Outstanding!

Comment

• Anybody have today’s lineup changes? I saw Callahan was new (not sure which position). I also saw that Stroh whiffed at 3 curveballs. Any lineup help would be appreciated and thanked in advance.

Comment

• In a movie and live stats seems to be connected to yesterday's game. Noooo!

Comment

• C. Johnson, Rogers, Callahan, Stroh, Millan, Luikart, Gustafson, Birge, D Johnson. Zang-P

Comment

• Score?

Comment

Working...
                                X