Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening Weekend: Shox @ Arkansas Little Rock (Feb.16-18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Weekend: Shox @ Arkansas Little Rock (Feb.16-18)

I hope someone will post the usual details and such.

The Trojans are the preseason pick to win the OVC.

Little Rock will roll out one of the best pitchers WSU is likely to see right out of the gate. Jr. right hander Jackson Wells was the OVC Pitcher of the Year last season, is the preseason POY and led the nation with a 1.65 ERA last season. He's not the hardest thrower, but he'll hit every spot and he'll keep it down and with sink. Our guys will be tested to say the least on Friday.

Little Rock also has senior 2B Skyler Trevino (.297 15 HRs), 5th year 3B Nico Baumbach (43 runs, 10 doubles, 14 HRs) and senior CF Tyler Williams (.363, 46 runs, 81 hits, 11 doubles, 7 triples, 9 HRs, 42 RBI & 22-29 SB) on the preseason all conference first team.

Based on comments from HCBG at the FPB last night, expect Favors to get the ball Friday. I'd guess Zang and LaPour are most likely to take the bump Saturday and Sunday in some order. Out of the pen, your guess is as good as mine. I do believe we'll see just about everyone that makes the trip, in one capacity or the other. We're going to find out early who can help and who can't.

For me, the interest will be in the high ceiling arms. Guys like Mulhollon for one, but newcomers Jeremiah Arnett, Drew Iverson, Ryan Geraghty, Brady Hamilton and Tyler Dobbs (heard some good things about him) could really give us some help if any of them are ready.

We'll see Mo behind the plate, Seth in right. After that, your guess is as good as mine. Looking forward to Friday...hope springs eternal!

Go Shox

I will pass along a story from the FPB last night that I thought was interesting. Look, it doesn't take a genius to see we lost 11 of our best 12 (that didn't graduate or go pro) to the portal last season. The expectations are down. HCBG knew season 1 would be a challenge, at least. He told a story about the game at DBU in the fall. DBU can play. We trailed (I think he said by 2 in the 12th of a 14 inning game) and he said it felt worse than that. But without being pushed, the guys came into the dugout and said we're going to start by winning the dugout right now. They were fired up, scratched out a couple runs, the kids were into it, got another to lead and won the game. Cash (assistant coach Overcash) turned to Skip (HCBG) and said "Hey, we're going to be ok". To me, that was encouraging. Doesn't mean we're going to win 40 games or go to the tournament, but we're going to compete. And I think (don't know for sure), I THINK, we're going to play "the right way". Time will tell, but I think fans will have lots of reasons to support this program.

Comment

The forecasted weather in Little Rock this weekend will be cool but not overly chilly.

Friday: High of 57 degrees with wind out of the NE at 5 to 10 mph. However, 40% chance of showers Friday afternoon.

Saturday: High of 49 degrees with wind out of the N at 5 to 10 mph. Intervals of clouds and sunshine.

Sunday: High of 56 with wind out of the SSW at 5 to 10 mph. A mainly sunny sky.

All 3 games are scheduled to be on ESPN+.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 12, 2024, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Didn’t realize how good Little Rock is. Not a nice and easy start to the schedule. The team could legitimately be 0-7 or 1-6 heading into the home opener. Not trying to be a downer, but the competition is legit.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          Didn’t realize how good Little Rock is. Not a nice and easy start to the schedule. The team could legitimately be 0-7 or 1-6 heading into the home opener. Not trying to be a downer, but the competition is legit.
          Spot on. Getting at least one in LR is crucial because let's face it, any wins in Jax would essentially be a mistake. ORU did lose a lot from last year's team, but they have some pieces back, a lot more than we do, and they add our starting SS from last year. You know they'll be good. As you said, we could even be a decent team and be o-fer coming home after 7 games.

Comment

JJ and I will keep ya'll apprised of any good places to eat while we are down there. Go Shocks

Comment

Baseball Preview: Little Rock

Wichita State (0-0, 0-0 American) vs. Little Rock (0-0, 0-0 Ohio Valley)

Friday, February 16 | 3:00 pm CT | Little Rock, Arkansas (Gary Hogan Field)
              TV: ESPN+ | Radio: KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM
              LHP Caden Favors (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Jackson Wells (0-0, 0.00)

Saturday, February 17 | 2:00 pm CT | Little Rock, Arkansas (Gary Hogan Field)
              TV: ESPN+ | Radio: KNSS 98.7 FM/1330 AM
              RHP Daniel Zang (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Hoss Brewer (0-0, 0.00)

Sunday, February 18 | 1:00 pm CT | Little Rock, Arkansas (Gary Hogan Field)
              TV: ESPN+ | Radio: KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM
              RHP Tommy LaPour (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Zack Busick (0-0, 0.00)

SCOUTING LITTLE ROCK: The Trojans are coming off a 31-23 season in 2023, finishing second in the Ohio Valley Conference with a 14-8 record. Little Rock is the OVC preseason favorite and placed four players on the conference's preseason All-OVC team. The Trojans were at their best at Gary Hogan Field in Little Rock, going 22-8 at home overall and 11-1 in conference home games. Little Rock returns every meaningful contributor from a year ago, highlighted by the nation's ERA leader in Jackson Wells. The rising junior right-hander was named the OVC Pitcher of the Year and an NCBWA All-American in 2023, finishing 7-4 with a 1.65 ERA in 93.0 innings. First Team All-Conference honorees Nico Baumbach (.372, 14 HR, 52 RBI), Skyler Trevino (.297, 15 HR, 46 RBI), and Tyler Williams (.363, 9 HR, 42 RBI, 23 SB) headline the returning position players from an offense that led the OVC with a .299 team batting average. Head coach Chris Curry begins his 10th season at the helm of the Trojans, entering the 2024 campaign with a 205-239 mark (.462).

WuDrWu had the Shockers starting rotation pegged.

Comment

Nostradamus
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Season Opener First Pitch Moved to Noon

Due to forecasted inclement weather, Friday's season opener against Little Rock has been moved up to a 12:00 pm first pitch. The game was originally scheduled for a 3:00 pm start.

Comment

I felt like Favors looked super dialed in at the scrimmage the other day. Also the black team had some slugging going on for sure. Hope that translates to this game!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      I felt like Favors looked super dialed in at the scrimmage the other day. Also the black team had some slugging going on for sure. Hope that translates to this game!
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I feel like the lineups may have a surprise or two, if for no other reason than I think the staff wants to see who has "it" and who is going to get after it.

The only thing that will surprise me is someone other than Stroh in right (I'd be stunned) and Mo behind the plate (probably a significant myocardial infarction for me).

Actually, seeing the same lineup repeated either Saturday or Sunday would be an equally large surprise.

Comment

RH: Shockers Open Baseball Season Under New Coach

Do Simple Better: Jordan Rogers Ready For A Fresh Start With Shockers

Earlier this spring, Wichita State coach Brian Green dished out tough words to his hitters after a practice.

Junior Jordan Rogers talked to Green after and took blame for not leading the freshmen.

"Good teammates tend to do that," Green said. "He has been as advertised as a great teammate."

Rogers went to Green because he felt as if he let the freshmen down.

"I was striking out and I didn't want the freshmen to be like 'He isn't competing as hard as he can, so I can do that,'" Rogers said. "I went in, and I was like 'I'm done with this. I'm going to set a good example."

The role of energy-booster is one of many Rogers, from Robinson, Texas, performs on Wichita State's baseball team. He started at first base, left and center field in his previous two seasons. This season, he will play second base and the outfield.

"He's Mr. Utility for us," catcher Mauricio Millan said. "He's a guy that adapts. If you had to throw him behind the plate, I think he would sign up for that."

Consider Rogers signed up for everything.

"After the season last year, I had a lot to prove," he said. "At the end of the day, I put it to the side. Now that we've got a new coaching staff, it's 'All right, I'm going to show them what I can do.' I just played hard every single day. If you're going out there and competing for your teammates, it makes everything easier."

Green loves that Rogers wants to lead and support. He doesn't want Rogers to carry unnecessary burdens.

"He's such a good kid, such a good team guy, I want to make sure that when he steps on the box that it's his experience and he's not letting the team down or letting the coaches down," Green said. "I can inherently put a little too much pressure on himself because he's such a good kid. It's about the process and wanting to be great."

Part of the process is taking advantage of Rogers' versatility to help coaches experiment with lineups.

Rogers played second base, as well as other spots, in high school. In the fall, coaches noticed his athletic ability and tried him there. He, and many others, will move around, especially early, as coaches evaluate matchups and balance hitting with defensive skills.

"I feel comfortable," he said. "I like to tell myself to do simple better. I try to simplify everything over there."

Comment

Comment

Thank God Millan didn't bolt.

Let's go Favors!!

Comment

Working...
                              X