Shock Picked 7th; Favors Preseason All-AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Anyway 5 of these players will not be on the official roster that must be declared prior to the opening game of the season, at which point the roster is locked in for the season. No adds or substitutions allowed.
    I don't understand. You can have 40 rostered players but still only 35 "official"? So there will be 5 unofficial roster spots, and they can't be added or subtracted to/from the "official" roster? If that's true, what's the point of calling them rostered players? I fell like I misunderstood something. :)
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I don't understand. You can have 40 rostered players but still only 35 "official"? So there will be 5 unofficial roster spots, and they can't be added or subtracted to/from the "official" roster? If that's true, what's the point of calling them rostered players? I fell like I misunderstood something. :)
      Official roster limits prior to the 2021 season used to be 35 players. Of those 35 players 27 of those could receive a portion of the11.7 scholarships baseball has to divvy up.. The "official" roster is set no later that the day before the season starts.

So, pre-2021, if you had 40 players listed on the teams website only 35 of those players could be placed on the official roster. The other 5 players on the roster cannot play in games that year. I am not sure if they are allowed to practice with the team or not. Of the 35 players who are on the roster 27 will have mostly partial scholarships subject to a minimum of a 25% scholarship. 8 players on the roster will be non-scholarship players.

The extra year of Covid Eligibility, MLB reducing the draft from 40 rounds to 20 rounds and the reduction of minor league teams from 162 to 120 prompted the NCAA to waive those limits for the 2021 season. Waivers were also issued for the 2022. 2023 and now the 2024 season but the changes have still not been made permanent.

The rules in place for the 2024 season are:
      • There will be a 40-man limit on roster size for Division 1 programs
      • Up to 32 student-athletes will be allowed to receive a baseball scholarship – an increase from the normal limit of 27 in Division I.
      • The additional “counters” (scholarship athletes counting against the team scholarship limit) must be included in the maximum team limit of 11.7 scholarships and must be provided the minimum scholarship value of 25%.
      https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-div...4-school-year/

The Shockers currently list 45 players on their roster. The official roster will be set at 40 once the season starts. So 5 of the players currently listed on the goShockers.com will not be on the official roster and, to the best of my knowledge, cannot be added to the roster later in the event of injuries or other roster reductions.

32 players are allowed to receive a scholarship which must be at least 25%. However, the scholarship limits for baseball remains at 11.7. You do not have to give scholarships to 32 players but you are limited to 32 scholarship players. No doubt your top pitching prospects receive more than a 25% scholarship/ Theoretically, you could have 11 guys get full scholarships and 1 guy get a 70% scholarship and 28 non-scholarship players or you could have a coach who believes in DEI and have 32 players each with a 36.5% scholarship.

Under these rules at least 8 of your 40-man roster will non-scholarship players, although that number could be higher than that and the great majority of your scholarship players, if not all of them, will be on partial scholarships. I have no idea how you would find out who gets what from year to year.

College baseball coaching, it's so easy even a cave man can do it.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 29, 2024, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X