Shock Picked 7th; Favors Preseason All-AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Picked 7th; Favors Preseason All-AAC

Expectations of AAC Coaches are whoever they have vote for them are low for the Shocks.

2024 American Baseball Preseason Coaches Poll (First-place votes in parentheses)

East Carolina (9) -- 81
    Charlotte -- 67
    UTSA -- 64
    Florida Atlantic -- 54
    South Florida (1) -- 47
    Memphis -- 35
    Wichita State -- 34
    Rice -- 29
    Tulane -- 25
    UAB -- 14

Wichita State left-handed pitcher Caden Favors was selected to the American Athletic Conference preseason all-conference team, the league announced Thursday.

Wichita State is picked seventh in the 10-team preseason coaches poll. Defending champion East Carolina tops the poll, garnering a first-place vote from the other nine conference members.

Favors is coming off a season in which he handled nearly every role on the Wichita State pitching staff, from starter to long reliever to closer. The southpaw finished the year 3-4 with a 4.04 ERA in 21 appearances, three of which were starts. He worked 42.1 innings, striking out 37 while issuing 15 walks, and held opponents to a .261 batting average.

The senior delivered several of Wichita State's best relief outings of the season, including 4.0 scoreless innings at Long Beach State (February 17), 4.2 shutout innings at Utah Tech (February 24), 3.0 hitless, scoreless innings with five strikeouts to earn the save at Cincinnati (March 31) and 4.0 spotless innings at UCF (May 20). As a starter, Favors fired perhaps the finest outing of his career against Oklahoma on March 14, holding the Sooners off the board for a career-best 5.0 innings to earn the win.

For his career, Favors owns a 3.38 ERA in 93.1 innings pitched, logging a 5-5 record with one save.

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/12/...onference.aspx

That should be adequate raw material for Coach Green to place some chips on some shoulders.

Any idea when the roster will be posted?

Comment

lol picked behind Memphis?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by wufan006 View Post
        Any idea when the roster will be posted?
        It would be nice to see actual numbers assigned and names to go along with those numbers. Apparently it was too hard to come up with one during the fall.

Comment

Getting picked where we are wasn't a big surprise what with a new coaching staff and an almost total revamp of players. As the Doc has pointed out there is talent but pitching may be the biggest question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            Getting picked where we are wasn't a big surprise what with a new coaching staff and an almost total revamp of players. As the Doc has pointed out there is talent but pitching may be the biggest question mark.
            No doubt about it. Not only new coaching staff and pretty much a total revamp of the roster but that roster is also very young and inexperienced. That said there is some intriguing talent but without much history to go on it is just a guess how this team will perform. I did like what I was able to see during fall scrimmages although intra- squad play can be a little hard to evaluate. i was pleasantly surprised that they beat Dallas Baptist in their 14-inning scrimmage. But I have no idea how that will translate this Spring.

So far the new coaching staff seems to have plenty of energy and enthusiasm and seemed to have done pretty decent job putting a mostly new and young roster together.

I think the Shocks have a reasonably decent chance of exceeding these expectations, perhaps by more than a little but only time will tell. I would be disappointed if they underperform this predicted finish.

They guys certainly seem to be performing well away from the diamond:

Comment

Sometimes a talented young team is too ignorant to know they are supposed to be losing.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

AAC schools that do not field baseball teams. Temple, Tulsa, SMU and North Texas. Temple not too surprising as the northern most school in the conference although I suspect Title IX is the primary reason for this for all these schools.

North Texas, for example has women's basketball, soccer, tennis, swimming and diving, softball, volleyball and T&F/XC. The guys have football, basketball, golf and T&F/XC.

Comment

Where are we going to get offense?

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                    Where are we going to get offense?
                    At this point, CANNOT wait for baseball. There are questions everywhere. I'm concerned about every aspect of the team. Pitching, defense, offense, intangibles.

We have potential, and we have some new talent, but we're also going to have to lean on that new talent. Hopefully we're going to get great coaching.

Comment

JJ and I are going to Little Rock for our Baseball road trip this year. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

At this point, CANNOT wait for baseball. There are questions everywhere. I'm concerned about every aspect of the team. Pitching, defense, offense, intangibles.

We have potential, and we have some new talent, but we're also going to have to lean on that new talent. Hopefully we're going to get great coaching.
                        WSU and their fans really need Baseball to exceed expectations and bring back some hope ...

Comment

I am confident we will do better than 7th..........like 4th or 5th. Some good young arms will surprise. They need to let all kids 12 and under in free.

Comment

Btw, has the roster been finalized? If so, is the roster on Go Shockers correct? If my math is right, it shows 45 players on the team.

Somewhere, I think I saw someone say that the roster size limit could be expanded, didn’t know it was to 45 though. Admittedly, I may have dreamt that last part.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                              Btw, has the roster been finalized? If so, is the roster on Go Shockers correct? If my math is right, it shows 45 players on the team.

Somewhere, I think I saw someone say that the roster size limit could be expanded, didn’t know it was to 45 though. Admittedly, I may have dreamt that last part.
                              The NCAA Oversight Committee approved a one-year waiver for Division I Baseball programs to have a roster size of 40 players, while also allowing them to spread 11.7 scholarships over 32 players instead of the 27-counter cap that used to be in place.

https://d1baseball.com/ncaa/ncaa-app...p-flexibility/

Previously, the roster limit was 35 which should be plenty. Anyway 5 of these players will not be on the official roster that must be declared prior to the opening game of the season, at which point the roster is locked in for the season. No adds or substitutions allowed.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 22, 2024, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X