Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No surprise.

Baseball Cleans Up on AAC Weekly Awards

The Wichita State baseball team put three players on the American Athletic Conference weekly awards, as Payton Tolle was named Player of the Week, Grant Adler was named Pitcher of the Week, and Garrett Pennington was named to the Honor Roll.

This is the second Player of the Week award for Tolle, the second Pitcher of the Week for Adler, and the second Honor Roll selection for Pennington.

Tolle kicked off a dominant weekend sweep of #7-ranked East Carolina with a complete game shutout in the first game of Saturday's doubleheader. Tolle was masterful in picking up his team-best seventh victory of the season, holding the Pirates to just two hits while striking out 10. The southpaw carried a no-hitter through 5.1 innings, surrendering just one baserunner via an error. East Carolina got both hits against Tolle in the sixth inning, but he pitched out of the jam with a strikeout and then retired the final nine Pirates over innings 7-8-9.

It's the third start of the season for Tolle with double-digit strikeouts, and his second without a walk. He is now 7-1 on the season with a 3.62 ERA and 66 strikeouts in 59.2 innings.

In addition to his pitching exploits, Tolle drove in seven runs over the course of three games as designated hitter. He launched a two-run homer in Tuesday's win at Kansas State, added a two-run single in the nightcap on Saturday, and delivered a two-run double and RBI single to cap off his week on Sunday. For the season, the native of Yukon, Oklahoma is hitting .321 with eight home runs and 38 RBI.

Adler matched Tolle's effort on Sunday, blanking the Pirates on just three hits. The right-hander struck out five and walked two, throwing 122 pitches in the complete game effort. The Pirates did not get a runner to third base in the game, and had just one inning with multiple baserunners against Adler. Their best threat came in the seventh via a leadoff single and two-out walk, but Adler retired Cam Clonch on a ground out to second to stymie the scoring chance.

17 of the 27 outs Adler recorded came on ground balls. The former Derby High School standout improved to 4-2 with a 2.56 ERA in 10 starts.

Pennington made the most of his hits during the week, going 6-for-15 with five extra-base knocks in four games. He kicked off the week with a monster performance at Kansas State, homering twice and adding a double for 10 total bases. He homered and doubled again in the second game of Saturday's doubleheader, then tacked on two more RBI Sunday with a run-scoring single and a bases-loaded walk. The transfer from Central Missouri continues to produce in the middle of the WSU order, improving his season slash line to .325/.380/.595 with 11 doubles, 11 home runs and 39 RBI.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The ECU was sure to turn heads (rightfully so, and like you, I didn't see that coming) but being ranked by Collegiate Baseball seems like a slight overreaction.

But as they say, any press is good press.
      CB has always been VERY optomistic of WSU baseball. Not sure why. Almost like they have a bias in our favor.

Now Baseball American on the other hand treats us like the MBB AP poll does. Which is to say, our program peaks notwithstanding, we have to be on FIRE to get attention.

Comment

Lot of good questions there and not many answers.

The decision about who coaches is WAY above my pay grade, but you cannot ignore what this staff has done in comparison to last season, especially when given the keys just 4 short months ago. For the first time in a long time, WSU has a TEAM, and it shows.

I was critical of the decision to promote FHCIB 3 years ago and for the same reasons, I think it's important to do what's best for the players, program and coaches. I do NOT think it's fair (and hasn't been fair) to Scooter and his staff to have been put in this situation, but it is what it is. I trust ADKS will make the right decision at the appropriate time. The progress and direction is beyond encouraging and the dedication is inspiring, by all the staff, especially considering the circumstances.

P5 schools came calling last season and I'm sure they will again. We want young men that want to be here, and I believe we'll have no problem finding those young men.

Stark and Shelby have every opportunity from what I've seen to be important pieces next season. Both can flash the leather at multiple positions and have speed to burn. Both probably need to play somewhere a lot during the summer to improve at the dish and get more experience. Would especially love to see Stark succeed here as he's just the kind of young man you want as part of your team.

Man I wish X would have stayed around and not wasted a year at juco, where he's hitting .421 with 24 doubles, 22 HRs & 79 RBI.
        I dont believe I have seen it said here, but If it were me...after all that Siri has done for recruiting, I think he should be given the chance or at least have the opportunity to discuss the position if it were to come open. As a reward his work so far and to maintain the continuity. Seems to relate very well to the demographic of 18-23 yr olds

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Speaking of coulda, woulda, shoulda ... having Jace Kaminska on staff would have been very nice indeed. Wish we wouldn't have lost him. He's going to end up regretting it a little bit too before his college career is over, most likely.
          Jace is running into some of the same issues he had last year. Seems to wear down as the year goes on (and opponents get tougher) and struggles when guys get on base. He sails along then someone gets on and he tries to be perfect and labors. His ERA has climbed over 4 and a half and his last 2 outings against an average Michigan team and a good Iowa team have been short and not good. Wish the young man the best. We might see him next year as I think Nebraska still owes us a visit. I could be wrong.

Comment

• Ice to see Xavier is hitting well this year. Loved his play in the field last year. He was my favorite player coming out of fall ball a year ago

Comment

• Biggest weekend in years and no coaches show?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• There’s an athletics event at WSU tonight, that all the coaches had to attend, unfortunately.

Comment

• Nice sweep of ECU!

Comment

• I was looking for their coaches show and stumbled on this.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the coordination of online information on our sports. I know there's a huge gap between how I, as an old white man, consume and digest information as compared to the current students (as well as all those in between).

We have 1000s of young people running around campus with iphones and we can't have regular consistent media updates via youtube, twitter and whatever other media sites ?

I just don't see why we don't have 50 interns available for every home event, interviewing staff and student athletes after each game, uploading same and having fun with it. All it really takes is a little coordination. Ok, more than a little coordination. And a lot of planning, but sheesh, that's what they're supposed to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

CB has always been VERY optomistic of WSU baseball. Not sure why. Almost like they have a bias in our favor.

Now Baseball American on the other hand treats us like the MBB AP poll does. Which is to say, our program peaks notwithstanding, we have to be on FIRE to get attention.
                      I will give CB credit for a reasonable placing of UCONN. Other sites have the Huskies as high as 11 and that's just insane and it's not because of my disdain for UCONN. Admittedly I do not like them at all, but I respect the hell out of their staff. Much like ECU they have built a culture there and they are good. But they are nowhere near the 11th best team based on anything including the eye test. They give up a lot of runs and have some bad losses. Again, not saying they are horrible (they are in fact good) just not top 20 good. At all.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXD...0E814F7847B43D

I was looking for their coaches show and stumbled on this.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in the coordination of online information on our sports. I know there's a huge gap between how I, as an old white man, consume and digest information as compared to the current students (as well as all those in between).

We have 1000s of young people running around campus with iphones and we can't have regular consistent media updates via youtube, twitter and whatever other media sites ?

I just don't see why we don't have 50 interns available for every home event, interviewing staff and student athletes after each game, uploading same and having fun with it. All it really takes is a little coordination. Ok, more than a little coordination. And a lot of planning, but sheesh, that's what they're supposed to do.
                        His legacy will live with us for some time. The dead wood has been sent down the stream, but it takes a while to fully decompose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                          X