WSU vs #7 East Carolina (Apr 22-23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Let's ram our face right up ECU's butt!!!!

Eww, no ... uhhh ...

Let's ram ECU's face right up OUR butt!!!!!

hmm ... no ... uhhh ...

Right up our butt!!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying Doc - but if this team lives up to potential I think 13-3 or 14-2 is the expectation (and a realistic one). Loss to OSU, one to Houston and maybe one to UCF. Leaving us 38-17 or 37-18. But I think if we manage to only lose 1 in the AAC the rest of the way we win the whole damn thing - and I think those records with a conf regular season title gets us the benefit of the doubt ala 2021 basketball. Lot of parallels between the seasons. Hopefully a better ending here.
      I hope so, and goodness knows I've been pimping this team for longer than anyone, but I'm just not ready to expect a team that's flashed as much inconsistency as this group has so far to finish something like 21 and 2 or 20 and 3. It's just not realistic yet, even if we agree they have the talent. And besides, the last thing this team needs to do is to look past the next game.

Right now, we're still only trusting about 5 pitchers (Candy, Tolle, Gadler, Miner and Snead) with Cranz & Wilkinson trending up and Favors trending down. Boyer & Bye are live wild cards, and for now, Mullhollon, Henry, Vercoe, Dunn, Rost, Nadler, Dillhoff & Wallace non-factors. That's 8 pitchers we cannot count on in any way, shape or form today. Several due to injuries but the records don't care about injuries.

We need those next 5 (Cranz, Wilky, Caden, Boyer and Bye) to sack up and get with the program and pitch like the talent they are. Everyone in that 5 outside of Wilky has an electric arm.

Look at that again. To be honest, 10 is the MINIMUM number of pitchers you can lean on in any kind of championship or tournament run. We're probably at 7-8 right now, at best.

Now, you get Bye back to last year, Boyer 2 seasons ago, Mulhollon healthy, Favors first half 2023, and Cranz just not giving up the long ball, and I think we're the best team in the league. But we're not there, at least not today. It is beyond unrealistic to expect our weekend rotation to repeat the last three outings even one more time, much less 4 more times. We need the bullpen to get better and deeper. Now. We're not without talent there, but we're definitely light on results.
      Last edited by WuDrWu; April 24, 2023, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying Doc - but if this team lives up to potential I think 13-3 or 14-2 is the expectation (and a realistic one). Loss to OSU, one to Houston and maybe one to UCF. Leaving us 38-17 or 37-18. But I think if we manage to only lose 1 in the AAC the rest of the way we win the whole damn thing - and I think those records with a conf regular season title gets us the benefit of the doubt ala 2021 basketball. Lot of parallels between the seasons. Hopefully a better ending here.
        Finishing 14-2 would have us finishing 20-2 to end the regular season. Have our 80s or 90s teams ever done that? That seems like a very ambitious prediction. Hope you’re right though.

Did not see this coming at all obviously. Very happy for the guys. We’ve seemed to have ECU’s number for whatever reason. With that said, as others have stated, I’m more interested in the coming results this week after a big sweep. If they keep it up, then maybe they’ve turned a corner. But if they only play to the level of their competition, then it’s just fool’s gold.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Don’t look now….

Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Finally feels like they are rounding the corner. I’m more concerned with next year than whether or not they make it to a regional this year.

What do you think the chances are Candiotti and Alder are back next year? Is the draft just 10 rounds still?

I would think Rodden has to be gone, but what hitters will probably remain? Any chance with Pennington, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                The ECU was sure to turn heads (rightfully so, and like you, I didn't see that coming) but being ranked by Collegiate Baseball seems like a slight overreaction.

But as they say, any press is good press.

Comment

• So we are ranked 25th and but are 88 in the rpi. That makes sense lol
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
                    Finally feels like they are rounding the corner. I’m more concerned with next year than whether or not they make it to a regional this year.

What do you think the chances are Candiotti and Alder are back next year? Is the draft just 10 rounds still?

I would think Rodden has to be gone, but what hitters will probably remain? Any chance with Pennington, etc?

Never know with the draft and future plans but it seems unlikely either would be high draft material.

I would guess a good number of our draft eligible players will return. With the transfer portal, you almost have to assume you're going to lose a couple of kids you don't want to lose (for instance, I'm sure ECU didn't expect to lose Ryder Giles to Kentucky last summer where he's been a situational pitcher only appearing in 14 games but only pitching 11 innings total, or 4 draft eligible sophomores to all go pro).

I'm going to enjoy what's left of this year before I put too much thought into next season, but the prospects for next year look very good. I've said before if we can fade the draft, we're likely bringing in 2 freshmen that will help from day 1.

Add those to (at least) Tolle, Snead, Mulhollon and Henry and we're going to have electric stuff at least 6 deep.

Sawyre is the only true senior regular I can think of.....Kyte is on schedule to graduate but man I hope he returns. I think Chuck and Brock would go if they got drafted but you never know. Jaden Gustafson is just going to get better and better. Little is going to be super. David Herring is more than solid. Pennington will have to show a little more versatility I would think to get drafted but he could graduate too. Mo doesn't have to leave. Rogers, Stroh, Flaggert and Stark are certainly capable replacements imho for any of those that leave and we're ok at catcher too with Birge in the waiting. Charlie Rogan needs to play this summer but if he could have some success he can certainly help us next season at 1st if needed.

If you told me next spring we were starting Mo/Birge, Rogan, Herring, Little, Flaggert, Gustafson, McDonald, Stroh/Rogers with Tolle/Pennington at DH and our weekend rotation was Tolle, Snead, Henry with Mulhollon, Adler, Cranz, Bye, Boyer, Favors, Miner leading the way (with 2 freshmen) for relief and midweek, I think that's a top 50 team starting the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                      So we are ranked 25th and but are 88 in the rpi. That makes sense lol
                      RPI is stupid in baseball. Boyd ISR is 78 and Warren Nolan ELO is 62.

This is definitely "eye test" passing. We looked like a lot more than just belonging.

Comment

• WSU is ...

#31 in batting average
                        #27 in doubles
                        #30 in doubles per game
                        #39 in hits
                        #77 in home runs per game
                        #81 in runs
                        #83 in scoring
                        #52 in slugging pct

#39 in ERA
                        #30 in WHIP
                        #12 in strikeout-to-walk ratio
                        #51 in strikeouts / 9 innings
                        #17 in walks allowed / 9 innings

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Never know with the draft and future plans but it seems unlikely either would be high draft material.

I would guess a good number of our draft eligible players will return. With the transfer portal, you almost have to assume you're going to lose a couple of kids you don't want to lose (for instance, I'm sure ECU didn't expect to lose Ryder Giles to Kentucky last summer where he's been a situational pitcher only appearing in 14 games but only pitching 11 innings total, or 4 draft eligible sophomores to all go pro).

I'm going to enjoy what's left of this year before I put too much thought into next season, but the prospects for next year look very good. I've said before if we can fade the draft, we're likely bringing in 2 freshmen that will help from day 1.

Add those to (at least) Tolle, Snead, Mulhollon and Henry and we're going to have electric stuff at least 6 deep.

Sawyre is the only true senior regular I can think of.....Kyte is on schedule to graduate but man I hope he returns. I think Chuck and Brock would go if they got drafted but you never know. Jaden Gustafson is just going to get better and better. Little is going to be super. David Herring is more than solid. Pennington will have to show a little more versatility I would think to get drafted but he could graduate too. Mo doesn't have to leave. Rogers, Stroh, Flaggert and Stark are certainly capable replacements imho for any of those that leave and we're ok at catcher too with Birge in the waiting. Charlie Rogan needs to play this summer but if he could have some success he can certainly help us next season at 1st if needed.

If you told me next spring we were starting Mo/Birge, Rogan, Herring, Little, Flaggert, Gustafson, McDonald, Stroh/Rogers with Tolle/Pennington at DH and our weekend rotation was Tolle, Snead, Henry with Mulhollon, Adler, Cranz, Bye, Boyer, Favors, Miner leading the way (with 2 freshmen) for relief and midweek, I think that's a top 50 team starting the season.
                          This team has a great opportunity to be special next year! Definitely have to avoid the transfer portal as well as get lucky on the draft even though you have to wish our players the best for their baseball future! Imagine if we could have gotten the Izzi kid to come this year...coulda, woulda, shoulda

Any idea of why we havent seen Stark this year? Also no mention of Hogan Shelby, I saw him play in Kingman last summer and here in the fall and I thought he showed promise. Even saw him pitch and appeared to be low 90's.

Unfortunate that there will be P5 schools come calling for some of our players and some may jump ship for what appears to be greener pastures. New generation of kids

Also, what will become of our coaching situation???

Comment

• Speaking of coulda, woulda, shoulda ... having Jace Kaminska on staff would have been very nice indeed. Wish we wouldn't have lost him. He's going to end up regretting it a little bit too before his college career is over, most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                              Whew! Good thing Coach Hobbs does not have ADKS wondering about him having that 13 run meltdown a week or so ago… guess maybe he can coach a bit☺️
                              I think it's too early to tell. For one, we're not even sure he wants to coach longer term yet, are we? Also he's coaching with Wedge's recruits. Does he have the energy to hit the recruiting trail hard to keep the momentum going? Can he dial the notch up in post season? He's made it past game 2 once out of 5 NCAA appearances (in 2007) -- maybe that's because he didn't have WSU level talent though? I don't have answers, just lots of questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan006 View Post

This team has a great opportunity to be special next year! Definitely have to avoid the transfer portal as well as get lucky on the draft even though you have to wish our players the best for their baseball future! Imagine if we could have gotten the Izzi kid to come this year...coulda, woulda, shoulda

Any idea of why we havent seen Stark this year? Also no mention of Hogan Shelby, I saw him play in Kingman last summer and here in the fall and I thought he showed promise. Even saw him pitch and appeared to be low 90's.

Unfortunate that there will be P5 schools come calling for some of our players and some may jump ship for what appears to be greener pastures. New generation of kids

Also, what will become of our coaching situation???
                                Lot of good questions there and not many answers.

The decision about who coaches is WAY above my pay grade, but you cannot ignore what this staff has done in comparison to last season, especially when given the keys just 4 short months ago. For the first time in a long time, WSU has a TEAM, and it shows.

I was critical of the decision to promote FHCIB 3 years ago and for the same reasons, I think it's important to do what's best for the players, program and coaches. I do NOT think it's fair (and hasn't been fair) to Scooter and his staff to have been put in this situation, but it is what it is. I trust ADKS will make the right decision at the appropriate time. The progress and direction is beyond encouraging and the dedication is inspiring, by all the staff, especially considering the circumstances.

P5 schools came calling last season and I'm sure they will again. We want young men that want to be here, and I believe we'll have no problem finding those young men.

Stark and Shelby have every opportunity from what I've seen to be important pieces next season. Both can flash the leather at multiple positions and have speed to burn. Both probably need to play somewhere a lot during the summer to improve at the dish and get more experience. Would especially love to see Stark succeed here as he's just the kind of young man you want as part of your team.

Man I wish X would have stayed around and not wasted a year at juco, where he's hitting .421 with 24 doubles, 22 HRs & 79 RBI.

Comment

Working...
                                X