Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever it takes to get people to actually show up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Please keep in mind @GoShockers89: that MSU and CU voted with WSU on that issue.
    My mistake, I thought he was defending the decision to put the tournament in Normal in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
      The last time I checked this was the MISSOURI VALLEY conference tournament and not the Cessna/Boeing/Beechcraft Wichita State Invitational Baseball Tournament. Fair is fair and the Valley is doing what it can to help grow the sport. I can guarantee you that we will have more butts in the seats in Springfield than we will see in Normal in 2013.
      Really love the air industry references, as if that adds anything more of substance to your weak post.

WSU has carried this league in baseball and now is personally getting shafted for it. Ya, let's give it to a stadium with 1500 capacity that'll probably draw about 500/game. Ya, that's BIG time. Might as well keep going down the list to Bradley and SIU's lightless field as well.

Is the 2013 Tournament gonna have a 7500 ticket giveaway to boost numbers as well to make Normal and Springfield a fair comparison? The Cessna/Boeing/Beechcraft Wichita State Invitational Baseball Tournament made this conference relevant and gave it a spotlight. Not to mention it brought in a LOT of money and undoubtedly more fans during its stretches than schools in this conference bring in for entire seasons, if not longer. So don't EVEN go there.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Please keep in mind @GoShockers89 that MSU and CU voted with WSU on that issue.
        What issue? Cu is one of the 3 schools that is keeping DBU out of the conference (Bradley and Illinois St. are the other two). Maybe WSU can talk CU into changing their mind. Maybe this stupid idea of GIVING the baseball tournament to Isu-R will help to get CU to change their mind about DBU.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
          What issue? Cu is one of the 3 schools that is keeping DBU out of the conference (Bradley and Illinois St. are the other two). Maybe WSU can talk CU into changing their mind. Maybe this stupid idea of GIVING the baseball tournament to Isu-R will help to get CU to change their mind about DBU.
          @LuskingforGuttin is from MSU. The issue being discussed was not DBU, but the 2013 tourney at Illinois St which MSU and CU both voted against. I think he was reacting to Fever's comment and took him to mean anywhere but WSU. CU and MSU know that they won't get it as often either with more venues added.

As for me, I think rewarding Illinois St with the 2013 tourney is plain nuts after their move against DBU. Maybe this was a carrot to get them to vote for DBU, if they even want in now.
          Last edited by ShockTalk; May 20, 2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

@LuskingforGuttin is from MSU. The issue being discussed was not DBU, but the 2013 tourney at Illinois St which MSU and CU both voted against. I think he was reacting to Fever's comment and took him to mean anywhere but WSU. CU and MSU know that they won't get it as often either with more venues added.

As for me, I think rewarding Illinois St with the 2013 tourney is plain nuts after their move against DBU. Maybe this was a carrot to get them to vote for DBU, if they even want in now.
            No this was about all of the Illinois and Indiana schools sticking together to avoid traveling to Wichita. It is a really stupid decision. The tournament will lose a lot of money but they don't care. Next year we will probably end up in Terre Huate or Evansville.

This really stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
              No this was about all of the Illinois and Indiana schools sticking together to avoid traveling to Wichita. It is a really stupid decision. The tournament will lose a lot of money but they don't care. Next year we will probably end up in Terre Huate or Evansville.

This really stinks.
              :good: Totally agree and the voting made it obvious (but I fail to see how that makes my statement false). As I said in another thread, the Eastern Block already has the advantage of less travel EVERY YEAR for the basketball tourney, now they they want it for baseball as well. Well poor oh poor them! :sorrow: ....NOT.

Comment

Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                There are still plenty passionate fans that will pay for tickets.
                Ummmm did anybody see all the passionate Bare fans? You could count them on your fingers and toes. What a pitiful showing of support on your home field.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Ummmm did anybody see all the passionate Bare fans? You could count them on your fingers and toes. What a pitiful showing of support on your home field.
                  At least when Creighton gives away free tickets they draw a large crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    The term "plenty of passionate fans" is kind of like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A 100 fans might seem pathetic to Shocker fans but that my be an overhwhelming show of support to a Bares fan.

Now if Kris Gardner can pitch the Shockers by the Bares today, and that may require a complete game shutout, and MSU is out of the tournament then Hammonds Field will be the Hammonds Morgue for the remainder of the Tournament. Maybe if the Shocks by some miracle can get to the championship game on Saturday a few 100 Shocker fans will make their way to Springfield.

Comment

Box score indicates 1390 in attendance for the Bares game. That's pathetic with no free tickets. Looking good Mr. Elgin. You should be real proud of your decisions and how Mickey Mouse it makes the Valley look.

Comment

Box score indicates 1390 in attendance for the Bares game. That's pathetic with no free tickets. Looking good Mr. Elgin. You should be real proud of your decisions and how Mickey Mouse it makes the Valley look.
                        You can't blame Elgin on this one. It was decided by a league-wide vote, not by Elgin.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                          You can't blame Elgin on this one. It was decided by a league-wide vote, not by Elgin.
                          Can the Valley office not have requirements? Can they not require certain minimums for a location to even be considered? Minimum requirement in dollars to host? Minimum seating (think, next year) to host? Like it or not, college athletics is about the money. The Valley is not a YMCA League. This is a product that the MVC is putting out and if they have no controls on what that product looks like, then why have the office?

Comment

Do we know if that was fans in attendance or was that paid attendance? Hard to tell from the limited views of the crowd on ESPN3 but did not seem like it was that large of a crowed in actual attendance.

Comment

I don't know is MSU hosting really the problem? I did hear yesterday that ISUr is putting in a new turf infield and redoing the outfield surface. So while I think they should give it to schools where the tournament would actually be successful I do appreciate both ISU's and what they have put into baseball recently.

I still wish they could have it at community ball park at the legends in KC. I know that isn't an option financially though.

Comment

The Valley is not a YMCA League.
                                Are you sure?
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X