No announcement yet.

WSU vs Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn’t see a thread started, if I missed it, my apologies.

We have to lead the nation in head-scratching base running decisions.

Comment

WSU vs OU Round 3

OU is gifted a run in the 1st. A 1-out walk, a wild pitch, a wild throw on a ill-advised pick off attempt and a sacrifice popup to Brock Rodden in short right field. Brock caught the ball with his back to plate. Spun and made a hard throw to home but it was up the line a little and was an in-between hop that got by Millan. The throw had beaten the runner.

Payton led off the 2nd with a double about a foot below the top of the wall in left center at the 385 mark but the Shocks could not move him around.

In the 3rd Little walked with 1 out and stole second. Little then tried to go 3rd on a grounder in front of him and the shortstop threw him out easily. Freshman baserunning mistake.

3 pretty decent innings from Nate Snead especially the 2nd and the 3rd.

Comment

Favors getting spanked around.

Comment

This WSU Baseball Team might be the worst base running team we have had in awhile. I have seen a WSU base runner thrown out at 3rd on a ground ball hit to SS multiple times this year. If you are on 2nd the ball hit to short has to go thru. As you can tell I hate dumb baseball. Sorry to vent!

Comment

I blame the black pants. #notsoftball

Comment

Payton drills a waist high fastball over the right field wall with 1 out in the 4th to tie it at 1-all. Millan singled to left. Herring lined a single to left with Millan moving to 2nd. McDonald struck out.
              Gustafson singled sharply to right field and the right fielder made a strong and accurate throw to home to get Millan.

Caden Favors on to pitch the bottom of the 4th in an apparent pre-determined split.

Caden hit the first batter he faced on a 1-2 pitch. Threw wildly to first on a just letting you know I see you throw that moved the runner to 2nd. A single to left on a 1-2 pitch scored the runner from 2nd. A single to center put runners on the corners. A passed ball (looked like a wild pitch to me) scores another run and moves a runner to 2nd who was then thrown out trying to steal 3rd. A single to left followed by a balk puts a runner right back in scoring position. A little flare that just got over Herrings glove at short to put runners on the corners. Robert Cranz replaces Favors on the mound. Cranz gets a big strike out then gives up a 2-run triple into the right field corner as the Shocks continue to give up 2-out runs. OU leads 5-1.

Favors has not been good lately.

Comment

In the bottom of the 5th OU gets a 1-out triple (on an 0-2 pitch) and 2-out bunt single to plate another 2-out run extend their lead to 6-1.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 11, 2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

In the top of the 7th a McDonald walk followed by a Gustafson line single gave the Shocks runners at 1st and 2nd with not outs. Put a little pop up to right center and a 3-pitch strike out (all looking) by Vornado) left it up to Brock Rodden. Brock hit a liner to center but it was hit just a little to hard/high and the center fielder was able to come in for a diving cat to end the inning.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Favors has not been good lately.
                    That’s what happens when you start playing teams with a pulse.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This pitching shuffle that is going on is exhausting. This pitching struggle will continue until this staff figures out how to develop pitchers instead of shuffling them in and out every time someone gives up a hit. There is no figuring out how to work through adversity and learn to pitch. There is no development going on here in the program. The reason they don’t have reliability outside the starters is because they haven’t taken the guys with the best potential and focused on them and worked with them. Unbelievable in a program that wants to have success at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

That’s what happens when you start playing teams with a pulse.
                        Caden had previously pitched 8 scoreless innings against OU in the 2 previous Shocker wins over OU this year so your explanation perhaps not applicable in this specific case. However, Caden's last 3 outings against Cincy, Houston and OU have not been very good. However, I can't say what the reasons are for that. Just in a slump perhaps.

In any case, OU picked up a couple of more runs in the 8th to finish off an 8-1 win. You are not going to win many games, especially mid-week games, only putting 1 run on the board.

I do think that it's fair to say the Shocks' bullpen definitely has some issues including, but certainly not limited to, not have a clearly identified closer.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 11, 2023, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X