X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nm

Comment

WSU vs Oklahoma - Round 2

Oklahoma (13-11, 2-4 Big 12) vs. Wichita State (13-10, 0-0 American)

Tuesday, March 28 | 6:00 pm CT | Wichita, Kansas (Riverfront Stadium)
      TV: None | Radio: KFH 97.5 FM/1240 AM
      RHP Gray Harrison (0-1, 8.25) vs. LHP Caden Favors (2-2, 2.67)

SCENE SETTER: Wichita State returns to Riverfront Stadium for third time, hosting defending College World Series runner-up Oklahoma on Tuesday night. The Shockers bested Houston 10-1 in the stadium's first game on April 10, 2021, before falling to #8 Oklahoma State 12-6 on April 26, 2022. Riverfront Stadium is the home ballpark of the Wichita Wind Surge, Double-A affiliate of the Minnesota Twins. WSU is coming off a three-game home sweep of UMass over the weekend, a set in which the Shockers won all three games in run-rule fashion (12-2, 12-2, 14-2). Tuesday's game ends a stretch in which Shockers will have played 15 of 17 games at home. Through the first 23 games of 2023, the Shockers have not had a streak of more than three consecutive wins or losses.

SCOUTING OKLAHOMA: Oklahoma enters play on Tuesday with a record of 13-11 following a three-game sweep on the road at the hands of Kansas State over the weekend. The Sooners arrived in Wichita for the first meeting of 2023 winners of nine of their last ten, but have gone just 2-5 since. Tuesday represents a fascinating matchup between the Shockers strike-throwing pitching staff and one of the nation's most patient lineups; Oklahoma has already drawn 145 walks this season (14th nationally) led by Bryce Madron's 33 bases on balls, the top individual mark in college baseball. The Sooners are also one of the nation's most aggressive base-stealing teams, with 54 stolen bases entering play on Tuesday, the 14th-most in the country. In last season's first meeting, the Sooners stole 11 bases against the Shockers, including three from three different players. On the mound, the Sooners have a 5.17 team ERA, holding opponents to 8.5 hits per nine innings. Oklahoma is led sixth-year head coach Skip Johnson. Johnson has guided the Sooners to a 170-115 record since taking over as head coach prior to

Good to see Chuck Ingram and Brock Rodden heating up albeit not exactly facing a real strong pitching staff in this past weekend series vs UMass. OTOH, the Sooners have given up an average of 7 runs per game since their 2-6 loss to the Shockers.

I suspect we be looking at a pre-determined split tonight from Oklahoma.

RH: "Hotter Than Doughnut Grease"

https://goshockers.com/news/2023/3/2...ut-grease.aspx

Chuck Ingram: Ingram's hot streak stretches back farther than the weekend and sparked his move up the batting order. He slumped to .204 eight games ago. Then a 4-for-4 performance in a 6-2 win over the Sooners got him started on an 18-for-34 (.529) stretch over the past eight games. That run, which included three homers, four doubles and a triple, raised his average to .337.

Brock Rodden: Rodden, who led the Shockers with a .338 average and 17 home runs in 2022, is also in a good groove. His average is at .333 and he carries a 17-game hitting streak into the week. In his past 10 games, he has four of his six home runs and five of his eight doubles.

Rodden also heated up as the season wore on in 2022. He didn't consistently move above .300 until the end of April and hit .406 with 11 home runs in the season's final 21 games.

Let's hope Chuck and Brock have a repeat of the back half of the season this year similar to what they did last year.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 28, 2023, 03:40 PM.

Comment

7 regulars are now over .300.

There's a good video Shocker baseball put out for tonight's game if someone sharper than I can link here.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          7 regulars are now over .300.

There's a good video Shocker baseball put out for tonight's game if someone sharper than I can link here.
          Is this the one your are referring to?

Comment

Have 1 free ticket for tonight if anyone wants it
            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Is this the one your are referring to?

Good stuff!

Comment

If it wasn't mentioned earlier, Pelf with Paul Suellentrop on the Roundhouse Podcast. Interesting to hear Mike talk about the changes he's made in his approach to coaching.

Comment

Why isn’t this game on ESPN+?
                  it seems none of the WSU Riverfront games are televised.

Comment

From here: https://d1baseball.com/conference/am...23/statistics/

Out of the AAC we have ...

5 batters in the top-10 for batting average (1st)
                    3 batters in the top-10 for hits (1st)
                    3 batters in the top-10 for slugging percentage (2nd, UCF has four)

4 players in the top-10 for ERA (1st)
                    3 pitchers in the top-10 for strikes (1st)

I don't subscribe so I couldn't compare WHIP unfortunately.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      Why isn’t this game on ESPN+?
                      it seems none of the WSU Riverfront games are televised.
                      Yeah, we could be showcasing the stadium and I wanted to watch the game from 160 miles away.

Comment

tldr; Wilkinson has proven he should get more innings, but he isn't. What gives?

/BEGIN RAMBLE

Wilkinson tears it up every time he is brought in for relief.

He has a team best ERA of 1.59.
                        And a team second best WHIP of 0.706.
                        And team second best SO9 (9xSO / IP) at 15.9

And if you take SO and divide by batters faced, he's 10 SOs per 21 BF = he has struck out 47.6% of batters faced (I made this stat up, so we'll call it KW). There isn't even anyone close to that other than Mulhollon.

And yet he's 10th on the team in innings pitched at 5.1.

I listened to Pelfrey who said a relief pitcher can come in and get "50% strikes or whatever but that's not enough to go multiple innings". Okay, but what more does Wilkinson have to do to prove he can go multiple innings? I just don't get it.

Meanwhile Bye is sitting on an ERA of 11.91 with a WHIP of 2.382 and he's pitched 11.1 innings. Difference between someone that's had 3 starts and relief, I know, but at some point you have to say something is upside down.

Mulhollon is in a similar situation as Wilkinson. 5th best ERA, 3rd best WHIP, 14.9 SO9, 40% KW and has played 6.2 innings.

/END RAMBLE

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          If it wasn't mentioned earlier, Pelf with Paul Suellentrop on the Roundhouse Podcast. Interesting to hear Mike talk about the changes he's made in his approach to coaching.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000605429993
                          That was an interesting interview. I had intended to listen to but had forgotten about it. Thanks for posting it. It sounds to me like MP is growing into the job and finding what works at this level.

Shockers throwing a lot fewer fastballs this year and more sliders, curves and changeups.

Liked the of Payton Tolle's extension (meaning how far in front of the rubber his release is). The average is around 6 feet. Payton is at 7'7" with every foot effectively adding 3 mph to your pitches. So the the hitters his 90 mph fastball seems like a 93-94 mph pitch.

Kung Wu needs to listen to this if he has not. Pelf specifically addressed why he only let a number of his relievers pitch 1 inning in the 14 inning loss to Creighton. He says he wants his relievers to go more than 1 inning but they have to give he a reason to do that. In this case, while they were getting through the innings they were throwing around 20 pitches and not near enough of those were strikes.

Pelf also spoke very highly of the job Mauricio Millan has done behind the plate. If I understood him correctly he said Mauricio is ranked 17th in the country in stealing strikes (framing balls to get a called strike). In the aforementioned 14 inning Creighton game he said he stole 16 strikes.

Comment

Very nice job on the National Anthem.

Comment

Kung Wu needs to listen to this if he has not. Pelf specifically addressed why he only let a number of his relievers pitch 1 inning in the 14 inning loss to Creighton. He says he wants his relievers to go more than 1 inning but they have to give he a reason to do that. In this case, while they were getting through the innings they were throwing around 20 pitches and not near enough of those were strikes.
                              I did listen. That's what I was specifically quoting, above in my ramble. I was confused by what he was saying, but you have clarified and now I understand the thought process better.

Wilkinson's stats still indicate to me he should be getting more innings though, I still believe that.

Comment

Follow up question for Pelfrey: How come Creighton's relievers are able to pitch 40 throws, but ours can't?

Wilkinson threw 2 SOs on 5 BFs.

Mulhollon threw 2 SOs on 3 BFs!

Both got one inning.

I'm calling bull$h!t.

Comment

Working...
                                X