No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Sycamores, Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a 0-0 game why was Micah in LF?Hall in CF and Dog moves to LF.There was too much to chance not to have your best D in there.

Comment

...if only we had a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
        What did you think? My 1st grader really wants to go (and so do I).
        My son loved it. How can you go wrong with Hawkeye, Black Widow, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man in a movie all together.

Comment

Doc, you're sounding like Fever used to -- probably still does, if I could read his posts. Thanks again for the Ignore feature, kai.

We know you have your litttle ax to grind about Gene, and that's your privilege; there are others who do too, just different axes. But, really -- if the baseball is going to bother you this much, take a night off. The team can get along without you for a game; I learned that myself long ago when my family circumstances changed to require more attention to the home front and less to sports. Even your complaint about the lack of a sacrifice in the top of the 9th lost credibility when you talked about the stupidity in the dugout (did you mean in the coaches' box?), because whatever WSU is lacking this year, it isn't the ability of their coaches to manage the game.

Personally, I hate small ball in general and the sacrifice in particular, in spite of which even I can't imagine why they didn't try it in that spot -- Hege has been credited with three so far this year, and if they're worried about bunting someone over for Baker (an understandable concern), that's what pinch hitters are for -- but I guarantee you there was a reason, and it wasn't that the coaches forgot. You might not agree with whatever the reason was, assuming we find out (I hope it comes up for discussion and that Gene is willing to give a candid answer), and I might not either, but between their knowledge of the game and of their players, coaching / managing game strategy is the least of our concerns. There are enough real weaknesses, such as lack of experienced talent, seemingly diminished recruiting effectiveness, and a distressing lack of execution -- which includes on the mound, by the way, especially with Elam these days -- that it's silly to waste time on illusory problems like the alleged inability to handle game tactics.

Meanwhile, thanks to ISU's excellent record, the RPI damage was surprisingly minimal: from .5547 and 51st pregame (Warren Nolan) UP to .5550 and still 51st as I type this, with WSU's projected final RPI rank (Nolan again, who obviously had this one projected as a loss) now up to the supposedly magic 45th. And because the RPI's road differential is working FOR the Shocks this week, even just a split of the remaining two games will probably move them up a bit more.

Still, good RPI numbers or not, if WSU wants to keep playing after the MVC Tournament, at some point these guys are actually going to have to win some games that matter, and do so against quality opponents. It would be nice if they could do it on a night where they get nine innings of shutout pitching, because that's not something they, or anyone else, can hope for every time out.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            Doc, you're sounding like Fever used to -- probably still does, if I could read his posts. Thanks again for the Ignore feature, kai.

We know you have your litttle ax to grind about Gene, and that's your privilege; there are others who do too, just different axes. But, really -- if the baseball is going to bother you this much, take a night off. The team can get along without you for a game; I learned that myself long ago when my family circumstances changed to require more attention to the home front and less to sports. Even your complaint about the lack of a sacrifice in the top of the 9th lost credibility when you talked about the stupidity in the dugout (did you mean in the coaches' box?), because whatever WSU is lacking this year, it isn't the ability of their coaches to manage the game.

Personally, I hate small ball in general and the sacrifice in particular, in spite of which even I can't imagine why they didn't try it in that spot -- Hege has been credited with three so far this year, and if they're worried about bunting someone over for Baker (an understandable concern), that's what pinch hitters are for -- but I guarantee you there was a reason, and it wasn't that the coaches forgot. You might not agree with whatever the reason was, assuming we find out (I hope it comes up for discussion and that Gene is willing to give a candid answer), and I might not either, but between their knowledge of the game and of their players, coaching / managing game strategy is the least of our concerns. There are enough real weaknesses, such as lack of experienced talent, seemingly diminished recruiting effectiveness, and a distressing lack of execution -- which includes on the mound, by the way, especially with Elam these days -- that it's silly to waste time on illusory problems like the alleged inability to handle game tactics.

Meanwhile, thanks to ISU's excellent record, the RPI damage was surprisingly minimal: from .5547 and 51st pregame (Warren Nolan) UP to .5550 and still 51st as I type this, with WSU's projected final RPI rank (Nolan again, who obviously had this one projected as a loss) now up to the supposedly magic 45th. And because the RPI's road differential is working FOR the Shocks this week, even just a split of the remaining two games will probably move them up a bit more.

Still, good RPI numbers or not, if WSU wants to keep playing after the MVC Tournament, at some point these guys are actually going to have to win some games that matter, and do so against quality opponents. It would be nice if they could do it on a night where they get nine innings of shutout pitching, because that's not something they, or anyone else, can hope for every time out.
            Wow our RPI is still at 51 after tonight's loss. Even if we split the next 2 games our RPI ought to be in good shape.

Warren Nolan is now predicting that we will finish with a RPI OF 45.

It was a tough loss tonight. I am very tired after a long 9 hour drive to Terre Haute today. Let's hope the rain holds off tomorrow and we can get a win.

GO SHOX!
            Last edited by shocker3; May 5, 2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter if this team gets in. There is a disturbing trend with this program. It's been going downhill for the last few years and is showing no signs of improvement. Something needs to change and change soon.
              although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

Whoa...major overreaction alert Watcher.

I have no ax of any size to grind against Gene. In fact, I've voiced my praise a number of times for what he's done. BUT, Gene gave up on our program long ago. He should have stayed in Norman, and I had NO problem with that. That was always his dream and I didn't fault him for it. Allowing him back was one of JS's few missteps.

I also have championed the idea that Gene has created many of the monsters that now compete with WSU. In this area, it used to be Wichita State and Oklahoma State. Nebraska, OU, KU, Kstate, MU, Oral Roberts, Dallas Baptist etc can all attribute some of their recent successes to Gene, and in turn, it's been more difficult every year for Gene to continue and maintain the high level of recruiting and performance as compared to previous years.

That being said, when Valley teams are now on par with you, and you can't get better talent and coach up that talent, it's obvious it's time for a change. We're no different than any Valley program now...except we should be. And there is 1 guy in charge. Don't kid yourself....baseball is on an island at WSU. Gene is going to take ALL the accolades when he wins..because nobody else is or even wants to be associated with him. It's not an ax....it's fact. And it's not just because of what happens on the field, whether you agree or not, whether you like it or not.

I don't know the numbers, but I'd bet a lot of money that the team GPA is on a downward trend. Still solid, but like the program, trending downward.

Now, you can blame youth, and certainly experience is better than no experience. I agree. It isn't so much the wins and losses, it's how we get them, it's how we prepare, it's the face of the program and it's the trends. None of those things are improving, and it's not new this season.

I still go to the games, though not as often. I still support the program, although other programs are getting more of my attention. I won't be giving up my 8 tickets. I won't boo the players. I will cheer for the team, celebrate the wins and mourn the losses.

And none of that changes the fact that the program will have a chance to return to greatness and respectability around the country, and right here in Wichita when we get a new coach.

But if we have to wait 2 more years for his contract to expire, all of the goals become less likely. Name the stadium or the complex after him....but it's time to go.

There's a chance to save and rebuild the program. I hope we can do just that. It's NOT going to happen with Gene.

Comment

Lastly, you won't find many, if any, comments from me regarding the teams at large possibilities. I understand they can finish strong and get in...and certainly it's possible.

This program shouldn't be in a position to have to win 10-12 to sneak in..whether or not we think that's even possible.

I hope we win out. I doubt that's going to happen, based on the last 4 years at least.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                    Wow our RPI is still at 51 after tonight's loss. Even if we split the next 2 games our RPI ought to be in good shape.
                    WSU RPI not going to take a much of hit against ISUB, but this is where WSU needs to do well if you want WSU to have a chance at-large chance - road game, quality opponent. Wins here will give WSU some margin to slip up. But with CU and BU coming up - they will need to sweep these series just not to have an RPI drop.

WSU needs report is 8-2 now for RPI of 45
                    Warren Nolan projects WSU rpi at 48

WSU really needed to sweep this series to be taken seriously - but now the very best you can hope is that they will be on the bubble.

Comment

Personally, I hate small ball in general and the sacrifice in particular, in spite of which even I can't imagine why they didn't try it in that spot -- Hege has been credited with three so far this year, and if they're worried about bunting someone over for Baker (an understandable concern), that's what pinch hitters are for -- but I guarantee you there was a reason, and it wasn't that the coaches forgot.
                      I must be missing something. Hege did attempt to sacrifice twice and bunted through two breaking balls, one of which was not even close to being a strike.

Comment

Hege stabbed at the ball with his entire upper body instead of using his hands to guide the bat. Bunting isn't be that hard but I've seen professionals who can't do it either.

Comment

Working...
                        X