No announcement yet.

Shox vs. DBU Patriots, Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had heard a couple of weeks ago that an agreement was made to make up the Okie state game but for some reason it fell apart at the last minute. The Alcorn State will be made up. Alcorn St is returning to Eck Stadium on May 9 to make up for the game rained out earlier this year.

Comment

Having the Alcorn State game get rained out again would be the best thing that could happen to our RPI. This is why I grimace every year when we see Howard/Chicago State/SWAC creampuff #7 on the schedule again.

This year's slate, however, is a vast improvement overall- largely thanks to dropping Chicago State at the last minute and adding Purdue.

Comment

A very nice win tonight. The entire line up from top to the bottom competed well at the plate tonight. Josh Smith shook off that opening homer and pitched a great blue collar game tonight. Dallas Baptist is a very good hitting team. Hopefully Kris Gardner can keep their batters in check enough tomorrow that we can pull out another win.

It was a great night at the ball park, the weather held off and the Shox probably played their best game of the year.

GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Wow -- very nice. Tonight's Shocker team is absolutely a postseason performer, but how many more times will we see them show up?

The good news is that the Shocks do seem to be getting better as the season goes on, the way a young team should. And Smith showed Mormann how not to get shaken by a solo homer. But, as 1972 says, we don't need to see proof that this wasn't just a one-nighter. Remember, DBU Set The Tone against Indiana St by beating them up one side and down the other in the series opener, but the Trees ended up winning the series. And, of course, it wasn't that long ago that WSU opened against Long Beach with one of their most stirring comeback wins in a long time, only to fall flat the rest of the weekend.

So the momentum will last exactly as long as WSU's pitching tomorrow sustains it, and the WSU hitters have to compete and have a plan the way they did tonight. But it was still a performance that brought back some good memories.

By the way, Warren Nolan is projecting WSU's RPI rank to inch up from 54th now to 50th going into the Valley tournament. If they could win tomorrow, though, they'd probably be ahead of that pace already -- tonight WSU started at .5480, ranked 63rd, and this one win moved them to .5524 and 54th (Nolan's RPI). This is as good a chance to build their resume as they're going to get from here on out. They really, really need to take advantage.
          I agree. Tonight's performance was definitely a post season performance. IF the team can consistently play like they did tonight we have a real chance of not only going to the post season but doing well in the post season if we get there. DBU is a post season team. But that is a really HUGE IF. We need to keep playing like we did tonight if we are to have any hope of finishing with a RPI of 50 or better.

We just need to take it one game at a time. Right now we can enjoy tonight's win. Tomorrow we need to get another good performance and try to get another win.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
            Having the Alcorn State game get rained out again would be the best thing that could happen to our RPI. This is why I grimace every year when we see Howard/Chicago State/SWAC creampuff #7 on the schedule again.

This year's slate, however, is a vast improvement overall- largely thanks to dropping Chicago State at the last minute and adding Purdue.
            I think I agree with you about Alcorn State. I would have to believe that our chances of finishing with a RPI of 50 or better improves by not playing Alcorn State.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              And just as I type that, the foolishness rears its head again. 1 win and now at-large hopes are bountiful again. We're now in at-large territory. Cautious optimism reigns, minus the cautious part.

What a difference 5 days makes when the sunshine pumpers were sparse and quiet after WSU dropped a home series to Missouri State. This is the type of sh*t that gets old.
              I guess I fail to understand your negative posts? Our RPI is now 49 and according to BOYD'S WORLD (not the so called "sunshine pumpers") we need to go 9-4 to finish with an RPI of 45 or better, which I believe is the generally accepted RPI to be considered for an at-large spot. We are 9-4 in our past 13 games and seem to be playing a little better lately so 9-4 seems possible. It sure doesn't seem like something that should upset a Shocker fan...

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                Hopefully Kris can give us a quality start tomorrow- it'd be nice to see someone other than Josh prove they belong in the weekend rotation on a consistent basis.

And please, other 89, keep the pump from getting out of control for now. I think if we miraculously manage a sweep then the board will grant you some leeway heading into KSU and ISUb. But one game is....one game.

I believe that Kris gave us the quality start that we needed today. Let's hope that Mitch Mormann can do the same tomorrow. The two wins have definitely expanded my glimmer of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                  I guess I fail to understand your negative posts? Our RPI is now 49 and according to BOYD'S WORLD (not the so called "sunshine pumpers") we need to go 9-4 to finish with an RPI of 45 or better, which I believe is the generally accepted RPI to be considered for an at-large spot. We are 9-4 in our past 13 games and seem to be playing a little better lately so 9-4 seems possible. It sure doesn't seem like something that should upset a Shocker fan...
                  Welcome back to the party. Haven't seen you in a while.

Yep, I'm not a Shocker fan. You got me.

Yep, we're clearly locked in for an at-large bid. Evansville and Missouri State must've already been forgotten.

Some people have no perspective at all. When we drop a game to Bradley or Creighton, or get smoked at Indiana State, make sure you come back to this thread and remind me why you are here calling me out.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Warren Nolan is now predicting that we will finish with a RPI of 44:

2012 NCAA Men's College Baseball RPI & Strength of Schedule (SOS) Prediction at the End of the Regular Season Based on This Season's Results to Date

Obviously we still have to play the games and get the wins but at least it shows that a top 45 RPI is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Welcome back to the party. Haven't seen you in a while.

Yep, I'm not a Shocker fan. You got me.

Yep, we're clearly locked in for an at-large bid. Evansville and Missouri State must've already been forgotten.

Some people have no perspective at all. When we drop a game to Bradley or Creighton, or get smoked at Indiana State, make sure you come back to this thread and remind me why you are here calling me out.
                      Usually a fan celebrates victories and wants their team to do well. Just sayin...

I'm not here to say we are going to get an at-large bid but I sure hope we do. I have also been very frustrated with this team, but I don't predict their failure and appear to delight in it like you do.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                        Usually a fan celebrates victories and wants their team to do well. Just sayin...

I'm not here to say we are going to get an at-large bid but I sure hope we do. I have also been very frustrated with this team, but I don't predict their failure and appear to delight in it like you do.
                        I delight in their failure? Cite your accusations.

Geez, a couple wins and some posters are back in the fire.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                        X