No announcement yet.

I sense good things on the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guess is that Johnny Coy and Cale Elam are the most likely to be drafted at a reasonably good level and could be gone.

Anyone else that is drafted is likely to be in the late rounds and if they leave it is simply because they want to get out of Dodge for whatever reason.

The good news is that outside of Cale I don't see any prime draft candidates among the sophomore class.

The bad news is that outside of Cale I don't see any prime draft candidates among the sophomore class.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      KC, what have I told you about leaving your profile logged on so that others can use your personal information as their own?

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        Juniors usually sign, but Shocker sophomores have rarely signed. The last one I can think of was Dusty Coleman but they threw a lot of money at him.
        Usually, but I don't think we are on usual ground any more.

As far as Coleman - they didn't throw that much money at him. In fact I was surprised how little money it took for him to sign (so much for Sophomore leverage) - I thought he would be 1st round material. But in retrospet he probably knew how much suckitude the baseball program was about to fall into - so I guess he looks pretty smart.
        Last edited by SB Shock; April 23, 2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I guess 750k is chump change now days.
          although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Usually, but I don't think we are on usual ground any more.

As far as Coleman - they didn't throw that much money at him. In fact I was surprised how little money it took form him to sign (so much for Sophomore leverage).
            As I recall they offered him 3rd round money which was something like $650,000 to $800,000 in 2008. That would be hard for anyone to turn down.

Comment

Dusty signed for $675,000 according to this article.

You're not going to retain very many, if any, sophomores that get that kind of an offer.

Comment

Yep, it's all about the money and an endless supply of Colombian prostitutes...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

As I recall they offered him 3rd round money which was something like $650,000 to $800,000 in 2008. That would be hard for anyone to turn down.
                  well especially since he probably knew first hand the direction the program was going. But IIRC he was being projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Comment

I just found an article from Scout.com that says Coleman signed for $675,000 (it's at then end of the third paragraph):

Stay up to date with all the Oakland Athletics baseball news, free agency, MLB draft, and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Dusty signed for $675,000 according to this article.

You're not going to retain very many, if any, sophomores that get that kind of an offer.

Oops, you must have posted that while I was looking on-line to see if I could find how much he was paid. I found a different article but it said the same amount, which is right in line with what I remembered at the time.

Comment

In the article, Dusty Coleman also says nothing but good things about his WSU coaches and teammates.

Stay up to date with all the Oakland Athletics baseball news, free agency, MLB draft, and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

In the article, Dusty Coleman also says nothing but good things about his WSU coaches and teammates.

http://athletics.scout.com/2/870738.html
                          Why wouldn't he? That says more about his character than it dors the state of the program
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by tripleshock View Post
                            It's true that all these guys will be one year older and maybe a little better, but its also another year of having to play under the crust master. That has been proven, in scientific study, to have a negative impact on the brian.
                            It was a long time ago, trip, but you may want to ask Billy Hall about having an extra year under Gene's coaching...

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              It was a long time ago
                              Everything supportive that people say about Gene starts this way.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                                Everything supportive that people say about Gene starts this way.
                                ...in a galaxy, far, far away.

Comment

Working...
                                X