I sense good things on the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sense good things on the horizon

C'mon guys, yes this year is done but it is not totally wasted. Our future is getting valuable playing time and experience. Pitchers Ladwig, Gardner and Bouman are doing pretty well and are all just freshman.

Position players Gillaspie, Doggett and now we got Mucha making noise are all freshman. Bayliff, Parker and Harbutz are sophs.

Next season will be different, and we will be better. I'm not saying we will be Super Regional good, but Top 40 is not out of the question. Especially if our recruits come in next season and make some impact. They'll have their opportunities.

I would add Baker to your list as another Freshman position player who is having an impact.

Comment

Pitchers Albert Minnis, Foster Vielock, Aaron LaBrie,Tobin Mateychick and Cale Elam are just sophomores as well.

Comment

Actually there are only 5 seniors (K. Hall, Lambert, Mormann, Smith & Rainey) and 4 juniors (Rea, Hege, Coy & McGreevey) on the entire roster, so everybody else could be listed on this thread as a sophomore or freshman. It is a very young team.

Comment

It's true that all these guys will be one year older and maybe a little better, but its also another year of having to play under the crust master. That has been proven, in scientific study, to have a negative impact on the brian.
          although the best things in life are free, upgrades are usually available

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            Actually there are only 5 seniors (K. Hall, Lambert, Mormann, Smith & Rainey) and 4 juniors (Rea, Hege, Coy & McGreevey) on the entire roster, so everybody else could be listed on this thread as a sophomore or freshman. It is a very young team.
            Of the seniors the only tough spot to fill will be Josh Smith. Of the Juniors Johnny Coy is the only player likely to be drafted and sign pro. Not sure if any of the sophs are draft eligible.

OTOH, it isn't good enough just to have most the team back. We need most the team that is coming back to come back stronger, smarter and more consistent. In other words better than they are this year.

Comment

The problem is they likely won't develop any further under the current coaching staff. They'll likely regress.
              "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Well at least the new coaching staff will have something to work with when turning this program around.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                  C'mon guys, yes this year is done but it is not totally wasted. Our future is getting valuable playing time and experience. Pitchers Ladwig, Gardner and Bouman are doing pretty well and are all just freshman.

Position players Gillaspie, Doggett and now we got Mucha making noise are all freshman. Bayliff, Parker and Harbutz are sophs.

Next season will be different, and we will be better. I'm not saying we will be Super Regional good, but Top 40 is not out of the question. Especially if our recruits come in next season and make some impact. They'll have their opportunities.
                  KC, what have I told you about leaving your profile logged on so that others can use your personal information as their own?

Comment

Next year should be better. One thing that has really hurt us is not having Bayliff in the line up. I hope his injuries do not continue. Our young pitchers look good and our freshman are getting some AB's. The only big peices we probably lose are Smith and Coy. Just for fun, I'll project a lineup.

Doggett - CF
                    Parker - SS
                    Gillespie - 1b
                    Bayliff - LF
                    Green - RF
                    Harbutz - 3b
                    Coughnouer - 2b If he is back
                    Sam Hall - DH
                    Baker - C

Starters:
                    Gardner
                    Ladwig
                    Minnis
                    Labrie
                    Mateycheck
                    (Berringer if healthy)

Pen:
                    Elam
                    Vielock
                    Mcgreevey
                    Bouman

Ok, so the young pitching looks much more promising than the hitting but can next year be as bad as this?

Comment

Apparently, the MLB draft this year will cut off at 40 rounds.

Of course, our Juniors are all eligible - Johnny Coy, Ryan Hege, Aaron Rea and T.J. McGreevey. Johnny is the only one I expect to go, but T.J. is a possibility.

Assuming the rule on sophomore eligibility is still turning age 21 within 45 days of the draft we actually have quite a few draft eligible sophomores on the roster. According to my review (and assuming the rule on turning 21 is as stated) the following sophomores will be draft eligible:

Garrett Bayliff
                      Cale Elam
                      Micah Green
                      Josh Halbert *
                      Erik Harbutz
                      Aaron LaBrie
                      Tobin Mateychick
                      Dayne Parker *

* Turn 21 within 45 days following the draft.

Cale Elam could be a pretty high draft pick and I would think may definitely be at risk of going pro.

Maybe Tobin Mateychick gets drafted based soley on potential, but I would think he could boost his stock greatly with a solid Junior year. Maybe he gets a draft and follow look.

Bayliff and Harbutz would probably be the only other possibilities but I see them coming back. Maybe someone would do a draft and follow on Garrett. Harbutz is a solid player but doesn't have the power the pros like.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 23, 2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I would think anybody drafted would go pro - that is why they came to wsu - to get drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          I would think anybody drafted would go pro - that is why they came to wsu - to get drafted.
                          How true and a lot of guys have gone that I thought would never sign because they threw so little money at them.

They leave here as fast as they can like rats off of a ship.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Juniors usually sign, but Shocker sophomores have rarely signed. The last one I can think of was Dusty Coleman but they threw a lot of money at him.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post

I am really worried about KC after this post, I am afraid that he might have been hit with flying debris from the tornado last week and suffered a severe head injury.
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Working...
                              X