Shox vs. Redbirds, Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    Nice 2 run bomb by the g-man to give them a comfortable lead.
    Maybe not as comfortable as we thought. ILS scored 2 in the 9th and had the bases loaded with 1-out. Cale Elam, fortunately, was able to induce a 5-4-3 double play to end the game. Nice turn by Harbuts to Halbert to Coy.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Anything other than a Redbird sweep and you can count this Shocker fan as being pleasantly surprised.
      Nice to start your Easter weekend already in a pleasant mood!

Comment

Foster and Cale combine with a inning starting error to give up 2 and have the bases loaded with only 1 out before getting a double play to end it.

They were within a whisker of blowing this game....I would have hated to see what happened next if they did.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Nice to start your Easter weekend already in a pleasant mood!
          Si' bueno.

Comment

Foster and Cale combine with a inning starting error to give up 2 and have the bases loaded with only 1 out before getting a double play to end it.

They were within a whisker of blowing this game....I would have hated to see what happened next if they did.
            Boy, they definitely made it tougher than it needed to be or should have been and not only because of the struggles in the 9th.

Per Shane, "Fortunate to win."

Comment

Halbert with a nice turn on the double play. Also goes 1-4
              First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

A pleasant and surprising win. Getting at least one more would be outstanding.

Comment

Happy for the team. Again, it's never easy with these guys.

Comment

Don Lambert and Casey Gillaspies find redemption in the 8th as Don doubled leading off and following an pop out by Johnny, Casey goes deep to give the Shocks a little breathing room. Shocks up 4-0.
                    Casey's home run was impressive. It was very high and very deep. He had fouled off a very high deep foul ball before hitting the big bomb.

Comment

The bottom of the ninth was very scary but in fairness to Vielock and Elam none of the balls were hit very well. They were basically lucky infield hits. For any one who has never been to see a baseball game in Normal, their field is absolutely awful. Two years ago when we played at Normal they had added a nice, new little stadium. I was hopeful that by this year they would have spent a little money to fix the awful field. Unfortunately they haven't.

I thought we were very fortunate today that the field hadn't hurt our defense until the ninth inning (up until then the field had actually helped us, as it had caused Illinois St to not be able to make some plays on balls hit by WSU players that took strange bounces). The field caused the error that gave the Redbirds the first base runner in the ninth. The field, imo, cause the first base hit that went thru Johnny Coy's legs. At home that is a routine ground out play.

Ironically the best hit ball in the bottom of the ninth was the hard hit ball that Harbutz was able to field and turn into the game ending double play.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10 View Post
                        Halbert with a nice turn on the double play. Also goes 1-4
                        Harbutz did a great job starting the double play and Halbert did make a very nice turn to get the ball to first just in time. It was the bang bang time of play that was very badly needed to end the game.

Comment

Anything other than a Redbird sweep and you can count this Shocker fan as being pleasantly surprised.
                          Doc, now that you're pleasantly surprised, you need to get back on your Prozac. Despite complaints that I pump sunshine, I haven't been too happy with the last few seasons myself -- too reminiscent of the final years of Cliff Gustafson's career at Texas for my taste, when he lost touch and started coasting home -- but even so, when I looked up the score after we got home from church this evening, I'd have been surprised and disappointed if the Shocks had lost against these guys today.

Vielock and Full Pack, Jr., kept it from being boring, and tomorrow is a different story. The "set the tone" momentum guys had better hope the right Mormann shows up, or else the good vibe will disappear quickly, for example. But I can't imagine ever reaching the day I start being relieved by less than a Valley opponent's sweep of the Shocks.

Comment

Illinois State's pitching staff has apparently been beset with injuries. However, they can hit the ball and they have a total of 10 seniors and 8 juniors on their roster and they are capable of outscoring you.

Josh, Foster and Cale did a nice job holding these guys to 2 runs despite the nervous times in the 9th. Now its time for Mitch Mormann to show up.

Let's hope we don't become a "Josh, Foster and Cale and Pray for Hail" team.

Comment

I do want to add that I thought Josh Smith did a great job pitching yesterday. The Illinois St line up is full of good hitters. All but one of their starters is hitting over .300. Josh kept them off balance all day holding them to 2 hits. He also pitched out of some potential jams.

Comment

Don Lambert and Casey Gillaspies find redemption in the 8th as Don doubled leading off and following an pop out by Johnny, Casey goes deep to give the Shocks a little breathing room. Shocks up 4-0.
                                It sounds like Casey had a real good weekend (As did a lot of our hitters).

Comment

Working...
                                X