Coughenour Suspended Indefinetly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughenour Suspended Indefinetly

WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State baseball student-athlete Tyler Coughenour has been suspended indefinitely from team activities due to a violation of team rules, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced April 3. Coughenour, a sophomore infielder from Wichita, has played in 20 games with 15 starts. He is hitting .250 with 11 runs, nine RBI and five stolen bases.

what is going on over there?

Comment

It's not even duck season.

Comment

So does this mean that ES suspended him and we can only hope that Gene gets po'ed and hires on with another team because ES did not consult with him before suspending him? This does seem a little strange in that it was ES and not just "Coughenour suspended for team rule violations".

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          WICHITA, Kan. - Wichita State baseball student-athlete Tyler Coughenour has been suspended indefinitely from team activities due to a violation of team rules, Director of Athletics Eric Sexton announced April 3. Coughenour, a sophomore infielder from Wichita, has played in 20 games with 15 starts. He is hitting .250 with 11 runs, nine RBI and five stolen bases.
          I think this new incident with the Davidson incident earlier this season suggest to me that the players aren't listening to the coaches out of frustration. The staff is losing control.

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I know that this team has been very frustrating to watch compared to years previous. It isn't just about a lack of execution, there is a real lack of try that comes through. When everyone in the ballpark knows the situation and what a batter needs to do and that batter doesn't do it ... over and over again, it isn't just bad luck baseball anymore. So that is not good at all. And now two players in one year?

Yea, this is bad news bears

Comment

I am to the point I really don't care anymore.
              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                To me that speaks volumes as to where the program is.

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                  ^This.

Comment

The sad thing is that I still do care and it bothers me when things like this happen.My wife and I decided this weekend not to renew our season tickets for next year if this team doesn't turn things around quick.It's hard to let go of hard earned money to watch the garbage we have been forced to watch over the last several years.It starts with the coaches and they need to be held responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                      The sad thing is that I still do care and it bothers me when things like this happen.My wife and I decided this weekend not to renew our season tickets for next year if this team doesn't turn things around quick.It's hard to let go of hard earned money to watch the garbage we have been forced to watch over the last several years.It starts with the coaches and they need to be held responsible.
                      I understand your right to spend your hard earned dollars when ever and where ever you like. But are the above statements getting a little personal regarding the young men in the program? Are you suggesting that the "garbage" the last few years would have been gold, if not for the coaches? That the players in the program are actually potential all-americans and the coaching staff has regressed their talent to the point where not even one is mentioned as a pre-seaso all-conference player? If you are blaming the coaches for the "garbage" on the field, then it is fair to say you do not think the current kids in the program are good enough to be here, and it would be interesting to see if you had any specific players in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post
                        I understand your right to spend your hard earned dollars when ever and where ever you like. But are the above statements getting a little personal regarding the young men in the program? Are you suggesting that the "garbage" the last few years would have been gold, if not for the coaches? That the players in the program are actually potential all-americans and the coaching staff has regressed their talent to the point where not even one is mentioned as a pre-seaso all-conference player? If you are blaming the coaches for the "garbage" on the field, then it is fair to say you do not think the current kids in the program are good enough to be here, and it would be interesting to see if you had any specific players in mind.
                        The buck always stops with the coaching staff. If the young men in this program are of the same athletic quality as the late 90's, even early 2000's, then it's the coaches who are not getting that quality out of them. If they're not of that quality, it's the coaches that recruited them (or didn't work hard enough to recruit better). If the off field problems with players stem from a lack of good character, it's the coaches that recruited them. If it's not a question of character, then the coaches are losing their control off and on the field. I can not, and will not, cast aspersions on the young men as I do not know them, their background, or their abilities. What I do know is what "was" with the quality/ability of play and what player character I saw versus what I see today. As I said, I lay that at the feet of what has been consistant throughout all that time, the coaching staff.

Comment

It does seem more than a little unusual that Eric Sexton announced this suspension as opposed to HCGS.

HCGS you did a magnficent job building the Wichita State baseball program from nothing and you deserve great credit for that. But time does not stand still for anyone and circumstances change. You have told us you do not think you can win at Wichita State anymore and, unfortunately, that seems to have become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is simply time to make your final curtain calls and bow out as gracefully as possible with most of your legacy still in tact.

Tyler Coughenour reportedly had a great season this past summer, as did Mitch Mormann. Yet they return to Shocker baseball and all of a sudden they struggle and now Tyler is suspended indefinitely.

Between the Oklahoma incident this summer, the lackadaisical play on the field and the suspension/dismissal of two seemingly solid student/athletes it is readily apparent that something is simply not right with Shocker Baseball.

If a team mutiny or implosion is what we need to bring the current untenable situation to a head then so be it. Let's us hope it doesn't come to that.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 4, 2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Good post '72.

Unfortunately, I don't think Mr. Sexton has the guts to pull the trigger early.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              Good post '72.

Unfortunately, I don't think Mr. Sexton has the guts to pull the trigger early.
                              I think there is a lot more to it than just a matter of guts.

There is the matter of a buyout of about $900,000. Not sure we have enough well-heeled baseball boosters to make that happen.

Personally, I would prefer to see some kind of deal worked out that would allow Gene to step down sooner than later and with some dignity. Although Gene is not the most likable character, I think he as earned at least some consideration for his 35 years of service, most of it very successful. Hopefully, something can be worked out for the benefit of all parties.

Comment

Working...
                              X