X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU vs South Alabama (Game 2)

Pitchers duel in progess.

Shocks lead 4-3 after 1.

The only difference is Tobin Mateychick pretty much gift wrapped USA's 3 runs allowing only 1 hit and allowing 2 runs to score on a wild pick-off attempt.

The Shocks on the other hand responded with a 5 hit, 4 run inning to knock the USA starter (who was a soft-throwing lefty) out of the game.

Shocks sometimes struggle against the soft-throwing lefties.

Johnny B' Good goes yard in the 2nd to put the Shocks up 5-3

Comment

Shocks pick up another run in the bottom of the 4th to take a 6-3 lead.

Minnis comes in to pitch to start the 5th. Tobin Mateychick settled down after a shaky first (nerves maybe?). Hopefully, that will build a little confidence for Tobin.

Minnis allowed a run in the 5th giving up a double and single after he got the first two outs.

Shocks lead 6-4 after 5.

Comment

WSU lead 9-4, going to the 9th. This means the Shox should win the next 3 games (and lead the MVC:encouragement: )

Comment

I guess things are never going to come easy for this team...bases loaded.

Shox finally get the out and the win.

Comment

Cale Elam loads the bases with 2 outs in the 9th and has the runner on 1st picked off on a 3rd to 1st move but Casey missed the tag. Fortunately, Cale was able to induce a routine grounder to 2nd to end the game.

Shocks win 9-4. Sure did not want to go into the SIU series on a 4-game losing streak.

Shocks did some good things tonight, although they still have a few things to clean up.

Comment

How did Baggage pitch?

Comment

You know what this means, right? shox1989 and shocker3 are gonna be posting machines in this one. It also means we are now firmly set on a trip to Omaha this June.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I wish we could get Doggett and Bayliff in the lineup at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    You know what this means, right? shox1989 and shocker3 are gonna be posting machines in this one. It also means we are now firmly set on a trip to Omaha this June.
                    That is too funny. Just got home from the game. My phone battery was too low for me to post during the game. We hit the ball much better tonight. Tobin appeared to be a little nervous in the first and we basically spotted them 3 runs on 1 hit. After that it was all Shox.

Minnis was still a little bit shaky but he pitched much better than his last two outings.

There were two nice bunts tonight, one by Kevin Hall and a nice bunt for a base hit by Donnie Baseball Lambert.

Lots of good hitting tonight. Coy hit a home run with nobody on base. Doggett went 3 for 4. Casey G., Micah Green, and Coy each had 2 hits. Casey G. had a nice base clearing triple.

There were also some nice defensive plays. Kevin Hall made an awesome catch in the outfield (what else is new), Aaron Rea made a very nice play at 3rd and Casey G. made a nice grab at first. Donnie Baseball made stealing bases look easy tonight, stealing 2nd and then taking 3rd tonight.

Comment

And, as always, the losing streak ends at three, just in time for conference play. The Shocks will need to play well in the Valley but also in the dreaded midweek games, especially now that their RPI is hovering around the top 100. That won't do, and winning the Valley isn't going to get them in either unless it precedes winning the tournament, so they'd better be ready to win against the Big 12 and Dallas Baptist, too. Too bad they threw away the chance to steal a series from Long Beach.

And speaking of that last blown game against the Beach, when is Cale Elam going to stop the tightrope act? I like him, he gets the job done more often than most, and his numbers look good, but he reminds me of Earl Weaver's one-time closer, Don "Full Pack" Stanhouse. Stanhouse gave the Orioles solid work for a while and a bunch of saves, but he used to get in trouble, often of his own making, with such regularity that Weaver gave him the nickname because he could get through a full pack of cigarettes -- yes, they used to smoke in the dugout, youngsters -- nervously waiting for Stanhouse to finish closing out a game. These Shocks can't afford to be giving away games, and Elam will find it easier to avoid falling off the tightrope once in awhile if he simply doesn't get on it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by tru2thaduce View Post
                        I wish we could get Doggett and Bayliff in the lineup at the same time.
                        Unfortunately Bayliff is injured again.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                          And, as always, the losing streak ends at three, just in time for conference play. The Shocks will need to play well in the Valley but also in the dreaded midweek games, especially now that their RPI is hovering around the top 100. That won't do, and winning the Valley isn't going to get them in either unless it precedes winning the tournament, so they'd better be ready to win against the Big 12 and Dallas Baptist, too. Too bad they threw away the chance to steal a series from Long Beach.

And speaking of that last blown game against the Beach, when is Cale Elam going to stop the tightrope act? I like him, he gets the job done more often than most, and his numbers look good, but he reminds me of Earl Weaver's one-time closer, Don "Full Pack" Stanhouse. Stanhouse gave the Orioles solid work for a while and a bunch of saves, but he used to get in trouble, often of his own making, with such regularity that Weaver gave him the nickname because he could get through a full pack of cigarettes -- yes, they used to smoke in the dugout, youngsters -- nervously waiting for Stanhouse to finish closing out a game. These Shocks can't afford to be giving away games, and Elam will find it easier to avoid falling off the tightrope once in awhile if he simply doesn't get on it in the first place.
                          Actually he has gotten the job done every time this year but once (he actually got it done that time too if McQueen hadn't fallen asleep and missed the third strike).

But I know what you mean about the tightrope act. He does seem to put guys on base before he bears down and shuts them totally down. It is almost like he is teasing the other team. Like a bear that just before he eats his prey.
                          Last edited by shox1989; March 29, 2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            Gene has earned a reprieve based on this win and the Shox look like they are turning a corner once again - what some pumpers will be saying after this game. I'm a Gene supporter as I believe he has earned it. But if we're going to be just a .500 ballclub, I want Gene to just go out a recruit players who play with an attitude like Randy Young, Kevin Hooper, Andy Dirks, Josh Workman, Conner G., Mike Lansing, Eric Wedge, etc.

Those guys were dirtbags. Who cares if they produced .500 baseball, we'd be entertained by observing their attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                              Gene has earned a reprieve based on this win and the Shox look like they are turning a corner once again - what some pumpers will be saying after this game. I'm a Gene supporter as I believe he has earned it. But if we're going to be just a .500 ballclub, I want Gene to just go out a recruit players who play with an attitude like Randy Young, Kevin Hooper, Andy Dirks, Josh Workman, Conner G., Mike Lansing, Eric Wedge, etc.

Those guys were dirtbags. Who cares if they produced .500 baseball, we'd be entertained by observing their attitude.
                              Because hard workers who will run through a wall with no talent are fun to watch? Those guys had talent as almost all of them played in the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X