Former Shocker Baseball Players Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Great play by Mirabelli blocking home plate. The runner never even touched HP, but today, he would be called safe because Mirabelli blocked the plate. New rules "suck".
    Definitely different rules today. Reminds me of a tweet I see every so often, it's the opening for the NFL on CBS in the 70s. Basically every play is either a penalty or expulsion by today's rules. In fact, a plurality of the hits would get a player kicked out of a game, to say nothing of fined and or suspended.

That being said, the runner absolutely extended his hand to the plate. The cloud of dust and him pulling it back may have confused you. Actually, the play is so damned good that the slide is never talked about....he was really, really close to being safe. I wonder what a high def view would have shown (because that forward hand got to the plate fast). To be clear, he was out, but it's a lot closer than most would ever admit or even realize because it's SO damned good.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Definitely different rules today. Reminds me of a tweet I see every so often, it's the opening for the NFL on CBS in the 70s. Basically every play is either a penalty or expulsion by today's rules. In fact, a plurality of the hits would get a player kicked out of a game, to say nothing of fined and or suspended.

That being said, the runner absolutely extended his hand to the plate. The cloud of dust and him pulling it back may have confused you. Actually, the play is so damned good that the slide is never talked about....he was really, really close to being safe. I wonder what a high def view would have shown (because that forward hand got to the plate fast). To be clear, he was out, but it's a lot closer than most would ever admit or even realize because it's SO damned good.
      Definitely one of the greatest baseball plays I've seen at any level... maybe the very best. The pressure, the circumstances and the 'perfect throw' over the second base and pitcher cut offs; it was a thing of beauty. Obviously 'great coaching' contributed to the execution of the play... the deke by Doug Mirabelli was magical.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Creighton. In Omaha. And for the EIGHTH time that year. Creighton was SO good, and went 0-8 against your Shockers. Peak.

Thanks, ShockBand, I do feel better now.

Comment

Thought this was interesting…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Creighton. In Omaha. And for the EIGHTH time that year. Creighton was SO good, and went 0-8 against your Shockers. Peak.

Thanks, ShockBand, I do feel better now.
            If I remember correctly, that play was actually in the 7th game that the Shockers and Creighton played that season and was the only close game of eight. They played the 8th game in the semi finals and the Shox beat them by 8 runs, 11-3.

The greatest Creighton baseball team in history, was the b i t c h of Wichita State.

How sweet it is!
            Last edited by JJClamdip; May 15, 2024, 11:52 AM.
            An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Thought this was interesting…

Cardinals vs Braves, May 12, 1966

It's all tied up at 3-3, and we're in the top of the 12th. Cardinals' pitcher Hal Woodeshick just walked Braves' Rico Carty, so there is a runner on first and second with 2 outs.

Enter Shane Dennis' dad, Don Dennis.

"Let's see what's gonna happen."

Jump way ahead to 2:28:00

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Holy Cow. I think that was Harry Caray the voice of the Redbirds.

Comment

Those were the days my friends, I thought they'd never end. They did.

I can just hear Cdizzle throwing a fit when they had Orlando Cepeda bunting.

Lou Brock, one of my all-time favorites.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2024, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Listened to the Cards on the radio a lot as a kid. Still have some score cards when we'd travel to St Louis for a game back as far as early 50's. Still have my signed 10x12 B&W pics of Musial, Boyer, and others when they'd travel around the state, be at a store for a promo, and give out signed pics. Yes, those were the days my friends.

Comment

I didn’t have chance to find this out myself, but others have expressed to me how much the world has become a lesser place in the last several days.

78-65

Comment

Awful lot of people there to express their love for that wonderful family. Rough day.

Comment

If the new baseball staff would have put a little more effort in trying to keep Tolle, after he entered the portal, I believe they could have kept him.
                          An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                            If the new baseball staff would have put a little more effort in trying to keep Tolle, after he entered the portal, I believe they could have kept him.
                            That's unfortunate to hear. No idea how that couldn't have been priority #1. Gamechanger on both sides of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                              Interesting. Any why do believe that is the case?

Comment

Payton Tolle was named a semi-finalist for the Dick Howser Award.

God Bless that young man.

Comment

Working...
                                X