No announcement yet.

Shox vs Oklahoma - 05-16-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no getting around it, OU is really good. Deep as hell and they have hit all season. BUT like most teams, they are a lot more dangerous when things go there way, and that was not last night.

I can't get over how much Jace Miner has improved. Once Pelfrey settled him down (you can literally see him breathing during the visit) he was very good. I loved how he worked in and out and fast. I'm still shaking my head. Cranz just decided to come in and pound the zone down with 92 FB and say hit it. Can't put too much in one game, but certainly encouraging signs.

Maybe Tolle gets a day or 2 off this week vs USF, and honestly we NEED Kocis to be engaged, but I don't how this kid isn't in the lineup 24/7. He's freaking Roy Hobbs right now.

Comment

I have to admit that I'd given up on this year, and next if I'm honest. They were "hot" the last two weekends and yesterday. Hopefully, they can end it this way on the road.

Comment

One thing that has gone a little bit under the radar in the OU game is that if OU had not gotten the double with 2 outs in the 8th inning the Shockers probably get a no-hitter. The double Oklahoma hit was a legit, well hit ball but it only cleared Jordan Rogers in left field by about 2, maybe 3 feet.

How big a deal is that? The Shocks only have one 9-inning no-hitter in program history (1978 forward). That was by Tyler Green in 1990 against New Mexico. The program has 5 other no hitters but they were 5 inning games against Kansas Newman and Ft. Hays State, a 6 inning game against Fordham and 7 inning games against Colorado State and Illinois.

How cool would it had been to put this one in the record books against a very high-scoring program and a historically strong program like Oklahoma.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 17, 2022, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          One thing that has gone a little bit under the radar in the OU game is that if OU had not gotten the double with 2 outs in the 8th inning the Shockers probably get a no-hitter. The double Oklahoma hit was a legit, well hit ball but it only cleared Jordan Rogers in left field by about 2, maybe 3 feet.

How big a deal is that? The Shocks only have one 9-inning no-hitter in program history. That was by Tyler Green in 1990 against New Mexico. The program has 5 other no hitters but they were 5 inning games against Kansas Newman and Ft. Hays State, a 6 inning game against Fordham and 7 inning games against Colorado State and Illinois.

How cool would it had been to put this one in the record books against a very high-scoring program and a historically strong program like Oklahoma.
          No kiddin'?? Is there a stat for one hitters? lol
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

No kiddin'?? Is there a stat for one hitters? lol
            Yes, there is. Actually these stats are for 1978 (when Ted Bredehoft and Gene resurrected a dormant program) forward. This is the 37th one hitter since 1978.

1 Five-inning game (vs SW Oklahoma State)
            19 Seven-inning games (8 vs Non-D1 Teams)
            12 Nine-inning games (2 vs Kansas Wesleyan - So still pretty rare)
            1 Twelve-inning game (Southern Illinois)
            4 Games where the innings are not listed

21 of the one-hitters were combined efforts such as the one against OU.

11 of the one-hitters were against non-division I opponents.

This year's OU team is clearly one of the strongest, if not the strongest, opponents on the list of no-hitters and one-hitters. Making it one of the best pitching performances by a Shocker team in program history IMHO.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 17, 2022, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Just crazy!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Interesting....I realize no hitters are less likely than 1 hitters....but are they 37 times less likely?

I wonder what MLB numbers look like comparing no hitters vs 1 hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Interesting....I realize no hitters are less likely than 1 hitters....but are they 37 times less likely?

We have had 6 no-hitters since 1978 but only 1 in a 9-inning game.

We have had 13 one-hitters in 9-inning (or more) games. Not sure how many of the 4 games listed in the record books that did not indicate the innings were 9-inning games.

So overall, including games of any length the ratio is 1 hitters are around 6 times more likely. In D-1 games only the ratio would be 26-4 or about 6.5 times.

Comparing 9-inning games only the ratio is somewhere between 13-17 one-hitters vs 1 no-hitter (between 11-15 to 1 in D-1 games only).
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 18, 2022, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

The numbers for no-hitters are pretty easy to come by. 316 total. 43 of those came in the pre-modern era from 1876 through 1900. The modern era began in 1901 with the formation of the American League. However, 1901-1920 was considered the dead ball era in which another 49 no-hitters were pitched. From 1921 to present there have been 224 no-hitters.

Now the the information on one-hitters is a lot tougher to come by. I am sure it is out there somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

However, Nolan Ryan had 7 career no-hitters, the most in MLB history, and he had 12 one-hitters, tied with Bob Feller for most in MLB history. I don't think that tells us too much other than whey Nolan Ryan is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Comment

Thought this was ironic; we must have really fired them up.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

6 of the final 8 teams and 3 of the final 4 teams were unseeeded. Both teams in the final championship series Oklahoma and Arkansas or Ole Miss are unseeded.

Great job by the selection committee.

Comment

Ole Miss was the last at large team selected to the NCAA Tournament. Mississippi State, last year's National Champion, finished 26-30 and missed this year's tournament all together.

The Sooners were 18-12 on April 10 and probably outside looking in for the tournament, last 4 in at best. They got better and their youth (including former Shocker commit Jackson Nicklaus) got a lot better and benefitted from excellent senior leadership.

It can happen, anywhere. Either way.

Comment

Mississippi was the #1 team at one point and then completely imploded. Rediscovered itself and got hot at the right time starting around the time it swept LSU at LSU for the first time in the 100+ year history of the series.

Baseball continues to be an Arms Race. We are far behind on this. Would love to see Nate and Mike team up to really dive back into pushing baseball in ICT. Still lots of kids who aren’t playing football that don’t fit the soccer mold either.

Comment

Has the youth baseball fallen to **** around here? We used to have national caliber teams back in my day and a lot of those recruits went to WSU. Hell I turned them down because they were too good and I didnt want to ride the pine.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                                Has the youth baseball fallen to **** around here? We used to have national caliber teams back in my day and a lot of those recruits went to WSU. Hell I turned them down because they were too good and I didnt want to ride the pine.
                                At the very least the best Kansas players are no longer staying home. That's a stark contrast from the glory days.

Comment

Working...
                                X