Shox vs. Long Beach State Dirt bags Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox vs. Long Beach State Dirt bags Game 3

We still have a chance to take 2 from the Dirt Bags. It won't be easy. We need Mitch Mormann to pitch well. We also need to hit more like we did on Friday (13 hits) and to play error free defense.

The good news is Foster Vielock and Cale Elam have yet to pitch this weekend. They should be well rested and ready to go.

I don't think Friday is the what WSU needs to be emulating. That was fools gold - 5 gifts in a inning (2 BB and 3 errorrs) will make any offense potent. I think how they hit against Purdue would be a better wish. But you are right - it will start with the tone that Mormann sets on the mound.

Comment

Purdue would be a better example.

Comment

The Beach never scored more than 7 runs in a game until yesterday. Their overall team average has increased as well thanks to the Shockers. Face it, the Beach has beat the Shox 17 out of 18 innings played. We'll take the 9th inning gift on Friday, but the Shox really need to come out and today and play a complete game. They need to come out today like the Beach did yesterday and put a stomp on these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
          We still have a chance to take 2 from the Dirt Bags. It won't be easy. We need Mitch Mormann to pitch well. We also need to hit more like we did on Friday (13 hits) and to play error free defense.

The good news is Foster Vielock and Cale Elam have yet to pitch this weekend. They should be well rested and ready to go.
          Our team is going to win with good pitching and good defense and some timely hitting. We are not going to go out and out slug other teams. Mormann, Vielock and Elam should give us the pitching we need today.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
            The Beach never scored more than 7 runs in a game until yesterday. Their overall team average has increased as well thanks to the Shockers. Face it, the Beach has beat the Shox 17 out of 18 innings played. We'll take the 9th inning gift on Friday, but the Shox really need to come out and today and play a complete game. They need to come out today like the Beach did yesterday and put a stomp on these guys.
            I talked to several of the Long Beach St players after the game yesterday (Battery Club feed). Of Course they were stoked with the win. But they said they came out determined to beat us on Saturday. They related it to last weekend when after they had lost on Friday and Saturday to nationally ranked Fullerton 2-1 in each game. They had felt like they should have beaten Fullerton especially on Saturday. They came out determined on Sunday to get the win and they stomped Fullerton 7-2.

The other thing they said is that they really liked the weather on Saturday. Unfortunately the weather is going to be nice again today so we better be ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
              I talked to several of the Long Beach St players after the game yesterday (Battery Club feed). Of Course they were stoked with the win. But they said they came out determined to beat us on Saturday. They related it to last weekend when after they had lost on Friday and Saturday to nationally ranked Fullerton 2-1 in each game. They had felt like they should have beaten Fullerton especially on Saturday. They came out determined on Sunday to get the win and they stomped Fullerton 7-2.

The other thing they said is that they really liked the weather on Saturday. Unfortunately the weather is going to be nice again today so we better be ready to play.
              Battery Club feed? What is that? We invite the opposing teams?

Comment

Battery Club feed? What is that? We invite the opposing teams?
                A few years ago the Battery Club starting feeding every opposing team that stays overnight one meal. This is only the second one I have participated in (my first one was for Tulane a couple of weeks ago).

I don't do much. I bring bread and pass cookies out to the players. But it does give me a chance to talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                  Our team is going to win with good pitching and good defense and some timely hitting. We are not going to go out and out slug other teams. Mormann, Vielock and Elam should give us the pitching we need today.
                  The pitching is not good enough to carry this team for the season. With the scoring and the pitching this team is doing right now, they will end up with a record of approximately 35-25

Comment

Bottom of the 5th.

Shocks up 2-1 after Halls gets a sac fly.

LBSU changing pitchers.

Comment

Blown opportunities on offense. Blown game. Status quo in ShockerLand.

--'85.
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Shocks had a 2-1 lead going into the 9th with a fresh Cale Elam on the mound. They had out hit LBS 9-2 at that point.

Long Beach got a lead off single, a high chopper up the middle, although Elam had the batter struck out but home plate ump Ken McQueen apparently was not paying attention as he absolutely zoned out on what should have been a called 3rd strike.

Long Beach followed with a Sac Bunt and a line out to A-Rea at 3rd giving them a runner on 2nd with 2 outs. Cale than unleashed his 1st wild pitch of the year to move the runner to 3rd although I thought Bob Arens could have hanlded that pitch.

Long Beach then tied the game on floating Texas-leaguer to left just over the shorstop's head. Not well hit at all.

Then Cale gave up a single and hit a batter to load the bases.

The Dirt Bags then did their thing with a 2-out bases loaded squeeze bunt along the 3rd base line. Cale made a nice play and flipped the ball to Arens at the plate. I think McQueen was ready to ring up the out but Arens failed to hold on to the ball as LBS pushed across the go-ahead run.

Garrett Bayliffe got a 1-out single, his 3rd hit of the game in the Shocker 9th. Then on a hit and run Kevin Hall (with a new lease on life after the LBS 1B dropped an easy foul pop) hit a sharp grounder directly to the LBS shortstop who was standing on 2nd base due to the hit and run and he completed the easy game-ending double play.

Shocks lose 3-2. This loss was much more painful than yesterdays' 13-1 blowout.

The Shocks had quite a bit of bad hitting luck in this game and they also had the key missed called strike on the LBS leadoff batter in the 9th. But still this was a game I thought they should have won.

I will say there were two elderly guys on the field today, both wearing black jersies who probably should give retirement more than some serious consideration.

Was that one of our Shockernet members who McQueen tossed in the middle of the 9th?

Comment

Shox lose a tough one 3-2. The Shox were one out away from winning the game but Elam couldn't quite get it done. The Shox made 3 costly errors in the game, 2 of LBSU's runs were unearned. The Shox had 10 hits and threatened to score in several innings but just couldn't get the timely hit. LBS only had 1 hit going into the 8th inning. But got 1 in the eighth and 3 in the ninth. All I will say about the officiating is that Ken McQueen should not be allowed to umpire at WSU any more. I think he was squeezing Elam in the ninth and he apparently doesn't understand a force out at home. I would really like to see a replay on that one because I really don't see how the guy wasn't out. I wasn't going to say it but I did.

The Shox had lots and lots of chances to win this game, they just couldn't get the timely hits. The Shox left 9 men on base and hit into 2 double plays.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Shocks had a 2-1 lead going into the 9th with a fresh Cale Elam on the mound. They had out hit LBS 9-2 at that point.

Long Beach got a lead off single, a high chopper up the middle, although Elam had the batter struck out but home plate ump Ken McQueen apparently was not paying attention as he absolutely zoned out on what should have been a called 3rd strike.

Long Beach followed with a Sac Bunt and a line out to A-Rea at 3rd giving them a runner on 2nd with 2 outs. Cale than unleashed his 1st wild pitch of the year to move the runner to 3rd although I thought Bob Arens could have hanlded that pitch.

Long Beach then tied the game on floating Texas-leaguer to left just over the shorstop's head. Not well hit at all.

Then Cale gave up a single and hit a batter to load the bases.

The Dirt Bags then did their thing with a 2-out bases loaded squeeze bunt along the 3rd base line. Cale made a nice play and flipped the ball to Arens at the plate. I think McQueen was ready to ring up the out but Arens failed to hold on to the ball as LBS pushed across the go-ahead run.

Garrett Bayliffe got a 1-out single, his 3rd hit of the game in the Shocker 9th. Then on a hit and run Kevin Hall hit a sharp grounder directly to the LBS shortstop who was standing on 2nd base due to the hit and run and he completed the easy game-ending double play.

Shocks lose 3-2. This loss was much more painful than yesterdays' 13-1 blowout.

The Shocks had quite a bit of bad hitting luck in this game and they also had the key missed called strike on the LBS leadoff batter in the 9th. But still this was a game I thought they should have won.

I will say there were two elderly guys on the field today, both wearing black jersies who probably should give retirement more than some serious consideration.

Was that one of Shockernet members who McQueen tossed in the middle of the 9th?
                            It wasn't me but it could have been. I yelled some pretty nasty things to McQueen. He really should not be allowed to umpire here again (or anywhere for that matter).

Comment

All I will say about the officiating is that Ken McQueen should not be allowed to umpire at WSU any more.
                              Gene hired him, take it up with Gene.

I think he was squeezing Elam in the ninth and he apparently doesn't understand a force out at home.
                              why is a catcher trying to tag a runner on a force out?

Comment

Working...
                              X