2021 NCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 NCAA Tournament

And yet another season ends with no birth for our beloved Shocks. Hopefully this streak ends soon.

I didn't get a chance to finish the at large discussion and I won't rehash a lot here, but a few comments on the field.

The SEC got 9 bids, 6 national seeds and 7 host locations (South Carolina will host as a #2, with Old Dominion the top seed).

LSU was 13-17 in conference and Alabama 12-17. LSU was eliminated in the play in first round of the SEC tournament. Hard to make an argument for them getting an at large unless you just look at RPI. They might have played 1 road non conference game and if so, it was about 50 miles from campus. They certainly didn't leave the state.

The ACC got 8 bids, the PAC12 got 6, the Big12 only 4 (Baylor missed out) and the Big10 got 3, but with Nebraska getting the auto bid, absolutely no argument can be made for any other team to get an at large. Michigan's RPI was 89 and Maryland was 59. Neither team should be in the tournament, but you KNOW the bullied the selection committee. All about the $$$$.

Fairfield lost twice in the MAAC tourney and Rider got the auto bid, but Fairfield does get the at large. They are the 3 seed in the Austin regional and get Arizona State. They had the #3 RPI. Michigan's RPI was 89 and they are a 3. Go figure.

Indiana State got an at large as Dallas Baptist got the Valley auto bid.

East Carolina has Norfolk State then either Maryland or Shocker DOBO Loren Hibbs' former Charlotte team.

USF gets the FOUR seed in the Gator Regional. Florida can't be thrilled about that. South Alabama and Miami are in the other half of that regional.

Hopefully USF and ECU can make some noise. ECU will have a decision to make about throwing Gage Williams against Norfolk State.

Let's go American!
    Last edited by WuDrWu; June 1, 2021, 03:23 PM.

Sad thing, NCAA selection show was not even on my radar this weekend (same as it have been since about 2009). And, I don't realistically think it will be on my radar next season either.

Comment

Ball State seems to have the biggest complaint about being left out. Lots of Twitter conversation about it.

Comment

Makes you think there's some "good ol' boys" stuff going on.

Comment

LSU played 2 non-con road games: @UL and @UNO.

They won both games against Regional host La Tech, and two of three against Regional host Ole Miss.

That is their entire resume, but 4 good wins can separate you from pack. We should figure out how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            And yet another season ends with no birth for our beloved Shocks. Hopefully this streak ends soon.

I didn't get a chance to finish the at large discussion and I won't rehash a lot here, but a few comments on the field.

The SEC got 9 bids, 6 national seeds and 7 host locations (South Carolina will host as a #2, with Old Dominion the top seed).

LSU was 13-17 in conference and Alabama 12-17. LSU was eliminated in the play in first round of the SEC tournament. Hard to make an argument for them getting an at large unless you just look at RPI. They might have played 1 road non conference game and if so, it was about 50 miles from campus. They certainly didn't leave the state.

The ACC got 8 bids, the PAC12 got 6, the Big12 only 4 (Baylor missed out) and the Big10 got 3, but with Nebraska getting the auto bid, absolutely no argument can be made for any other team to get an at large. Michigan's RPI was 89 and Maryland was 59. Neither team should be in the tournament, but you KNOW the bullied the selection committee. All about the $$$$.

Fairfield lost twice in the MAAC tourney and Rider got the auto bid, but Fairfield does get the at large. They are the 3 seed in the Austin regional and get Arizona State. They had the #3 RPI. Michigan's RPI was 89 and they are a 3. Go figure.

Indiana State got an at large as Dallas Baptist got the Valley auto bid.

East Carolina has Norfolk State then either Maryland or "former DOBO Loren Hibbs' Charlotte team".

USF gets the FOUR seed in the Gator Regional. Florida can't be thrilled about that. South Alabama and Miami are in the other half of that regional.

Hopefully USF and ECU can make some noise. ECU will have a decision to make about throwing Gage Williams against Norfolk State.

Let's go American!
            "former DOBO Loren Hibbs' "

Is this an accidental communication mistake, Doc, or is there something we need to be made aware of? I'm guessing it's the former.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

They won both games against Regional host La Tech, and two of three against Regional host Ole Miss.

That is their entire resume, but 4 good wins can separate you from pack. We should figure out how to do that.
              I knew the Louisiana native would go into LSU defensive mode.

They and Michigan shouldn’t even have sniffed the field. Good ol boys indeed.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

"former DOBO Loren Hibbs' "

Is this an accidental communication mistake, Doc, or is there something we need to be made aware of? I'm guessing it's the former.
                I will fix. I meant to define Scooter as the former head coach of Charlotte, and our current DOBO and my words became garbled. Absolutely NOTHING to see or read into my grammatical error.

My bad!

Comment

I think it's called riding on your conference affiliation and your history.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I think it's called riding on your conference affiliation and your history.
                    Mostly your conference affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Mostly your conference affiliation.
                      Isn’t that what we are striving for? When our two wins over ECU and sweeping La Tech in a series is enough to separate us from the field and in the tournament?

Comment

MVC got 3 team in the tournament. American needs to pick it up in Baseball. With all the warm weather schools they have, they should do as good or better than the MVC.

Comment

Isn’t that what we are striving for? When our two wins over ECU and sweeping La Tech in a series is enough to separate us from the field and in the tournament?
                          And im sure not leaving the state in non-con would’ve done wonders.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            MVC got 3 team in the tournament. American needs to pick it up in Baseball. With all the warm weather schools they have, they should do as good or better than the MVC.
                            Indiana State, Dallas Baptist and who else?

Comment

Before worrying about Nebraska, though, Arkansas has to get through 4 seed NJIT, which is led by third-year head coach Robbie McClellan. He’s the coach who, two decades ago, was heavily recruited by Van Horn as a pitcher and could have been teammates with Bolt, but decided to say no thanks.

Although Nebraska was among his top schools, along with the likes of LSU, Texas and Wichita State, McClellan ended up signing with Arizona State after a two-year stint at Seward County C.C.

“I was kind of a late developer, so I went from kind of being lightly recruited to recruited by everybody and their brother,” McClellan said. “If you would have told me six months before that I would have to tell the University of Nebraska no, I would have told you you were crazy.”

A native of Liberal, Kansas, McClellan seriously considered the Cornhuskers and even had a couple of teammates on his travel ball team who signed with Van Horn and tried convincing him to join them.

Wichita State was also a factor because it was just a few hours to the east of his hometown, plus it was a baseball power in the midst of a three-decade run in which if missed the postseason just three times and made it to Omaha seven times.

More: https://arkansas.rivals.com/news/pai...ville-regional

Comment

Working...
                              X