Eck Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eck Stadium

Was reading through the Wichita Eagle a few minutes ago and ran across the article about WSU baseball trying to get back on track this season. The comments under article were across the board as far as why WSU baseball has apparently been a sinking ship the past few years. One of the comments mentioned how Eck Stadium has fallen behind in the times and that's one of the reasons it's harder for WSU to get blue chips. I personally don't have a problem with Eck Stadium. It could maybe use a renovation down the road to make all the additions blend in a little better. Beyond that though, Eck Stadium is far better than what KU/KSU have.

Eck stadium looks like somebody hired sparky to design the place. It's too big and awkward as well. For crying out loud blue, yellow, and green seats...what is that all about?

I know you gotta do what you can afford but how could they have not built something better?

Comment

The person who made that comment is clueless. Our facilities are very good, but they can get better obviously. For a small university - keeping up with the Joneses is imperative. I keep saying it, a huge reason why our program is not as good as it once was is we are not getting the players we used to. College baseball is growing, the talent pool is being spread out as more and more universities poor more money into elevating their baseball programs. Hell, look at KSU and KU. We are losing recruits to these guys we normally wouldn't have. Why? Because they have demonstrated that baseball is important and have shelled out money to improving.

Comment

The "problem" with the WSU Baseball Program is not with the facilities. The problem is with the administration of the program starting with the AD, down to the coaching staff, trainers, and players. From my viewpoint there has been little accountability at every level. It appears that the staff has become complacent with the oversight of the trainers and the players. The AD has not held the staff accountable because of past successes.

Maybe this is a turning point? This once proud program has become a shadow of its former self.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieBallgame View Post
          The "problem" with the WSU Baseball Program is not with the facilities. The problem is with the administration of the program starting with the AD, down to the coaching staff, trainers, and players. From my viewpoint there has been little accountability at every level. It appears that the staff has become complacent with the oversight of the trainers and the players. The AD has not held the staff accountable because of past successes.

Maybe this is a turning point? This once proud program has become a shadow of its former self.
          Throwing the trainers under the bus - really??

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Only a little bit. It is my feeling that the fitness and overall health of our baseball players has declined since Gene replaced Kerry Rosenboom. Have you taken a look at the "shape" of some of our players? Are they showing up for off-season training? What regimen are they following? Have injuries increased or decreased? Does the stretching and type of lifts factor into the injuries or lack of injuries?

Is there enough accountability regarding making good decisions and life choices? If your student athlete is away from home, who is he accountable too? Have the upper-classmen replaced the coaching staff as mentors? Have there been on-going discussions about drug/alcohol abuse and the consequences?

This is where the accountability part of my quote factors in. There is plenty of room for improvement at all levels! I am only a bit critical of the training staff, because they are part of the "team" that also includes coaches and players. If there is no accountability the training staff's hands are tied!

I hope that something good has come out of the events of the off-season, and am hoping that the recent changes are successful in creating a better baseball program and more successful young men off the field.

Comment

Don't you think GS has earned the Joe Paterno right to coach? Essentially, he's done so much for the program the program will only get a new coach when he decides to hang it up.

Comment

How'd the end of Joe's deal work out?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  How'd the end of Joe's deal work out?
                  Really? Prior to the tragic chain of events, any idea of when Joe Paterno was going to hang it up?

Comment

The "problem" with the WSU Baseball Program is not with the facilities. The problem is with the administration of the program starting with the AD, down to the coaching staff, trainers, and players. From my viewpoint there has been little accountability at every level.
                    You left out the janitors and ticket takers.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                      Don't you think GS has earned the Joe Paterno right to coach? Essentially, he's done so much for the program the program will only get a new coach when he decides to hang it up.
                      Guess it depends on how much you are willing to let the program slide.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        You left out the janitors and ticket takers.
                        Explain to me what part of my opinion you disagree with and why? I have never witnessed the stadium in disrepair or unclean, and the ticket takers have always been courteous and helpful.

Comment

Explain to me what part of my opinion you disagree with and why? I have never witnessed the stadium in disrepair or unclean, and the ticket takers have always been courteous and helpful.
                          I don't know nuttin' 'bout the baseball team. I just came to the thread to see what new renovations might be coming up for Eck Stadium, if any. Then I started reading the thread and I saw your post about what is wrong with the baseball team. It made me laugh because it listed every single person directly involved with the baseball team.

You listed the:
                          Players: 35 people
                          Coaches: 5 people (assuming you don't blame the staff even though you said staff)
                          Trainers: 3-5 (including grad asst trainers)
                          AD: 1

That's about 45 people you have pointed out, so I thought I'd just add some additional folks that might be part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I don't know nuttin' 'bout the baseball team. I just came to the thread to see what new renovations might be coming up for Eck Stadium, if any. Then I started reading the thread and I saw your post about what is wrong with the baseball team. It made me laugh because it listed every single person directly involved with the baseball team.

You listed the:
                            Players: 35 people
                            Coaches: 5 people (assuming you don't blame the staff even though you said staff)
                            Trainers: 3-5 (including grad asst trainers)
                            AD: 1

That's about 45 people you have pointed out, so I thought I'd just add some additional folks that might be part of the problem.
                            Oops, I forgot to include fans named Kung Wu who are ready to accept the status quo and seemed to accept a lack of accountability and the mediocrity that accompanies it! You make me tired.

Comment

Oops, I forgot to include fans named Kung Wu who are ready to accept the status quo and seemed to accept a lack of accountability and the mediocrity that accompanies it! You make me tired.
                              I don't think you read the very first sentence. I can't accept or reject anything that I don't know about. Now go get some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X